UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #211 of 1,138
That is what I am doing ... UpTone Audio of course have the JS-2 linear PSU, though my thoughts is that is a bit of overkill for just powering a single USB Regen
(not that I don't think of getting a JS-2 ... if I could power a DAC and a Regen from the JS-2, then I would have bought one by now, unfortunately my DAC/HeadAMP requires 19V which is a bit rare),
so I am waiting for their own UpTone Audio power supplies for the Regen which are both radical and less expensive.

Oh, if your DAC requires 5V power for it's USB input, you may need an iFi power 9V  (they comes in 5V, 9V, 12V varieties) to plug into the power part of the USB Regen.

This FAQ on UpTone website has more detailed information on why ...
http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

So I am going to be patient and wait for the new power products from UpTone Audio, hard as that may be for me :bigsmile_face:

My DAC is the iDSD micro, and so far i know it does need 5V usb hub.
Thanks for info, and will look forward
to Uptone Audio.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #212 of 1,138
I'm a bit confused, not too much of a tecchie...I'm using the LH Labs Geek Out 1k out of my computer (Special Edition), have it plugged into the Vaunix Lab Brick. Would a power supply go before the lab brick? separate into the Regen?
Thanks.

doctorjazz ... I just need to check that I understand your setup ... is it ???

computer >> Vaunix Lab Brick >> USB Regen >> Geek Out 1000 (DAC/AMP)

If I understand it right,   then the power supply that a few of us are talking about is replacing the Mean Well SMPS power supply (the one that came in the box with the USB Regen, as seen in the photo below) , and instead using an aftermarket power to feed into the USB Regen's 2.1mm DC input  (the one next to the REGEN's USB input).

This can be done with things like the new  iFi iPower supply, or a number of us are already using aftermarket linear power supply units (Linear PSU's).
Personally, I already owned a HD-Plex 100W Linear PSU to supply 19V to my Auralic DAC/AMP, was already using the 12V output to power the Vaunix USB hub ... so I used the 9V output to power the USB REGEN.

So we are talking about plugging in different power supplies into the power port of the REGEN  (see photo below ... see where it says 6 to 8V input on the left of the photo ... where you normally plug the included Mean Well SMPS    DC cable into ..... )

short answer :     "separate into the Regen" 

I am actually going to get another 2 USB Regen's for my speaker rig and hook them up with those $1 USB A Male to B Male adapters   (as my experiment of placing REGEN >> REGEN was succesful in my headphone rig ... was a big increase by doing this ?   No ... just a subtle improvement,   the first REGEN is where you get the significant improvement).

As my speaker rig is in a different room  (away from my HD-Plex Linear PSU) , and that I like how the REGEN's sound using a quality linear power supply ... well,  I am going to wait for the to-be-released improved & radical power supplies from UpTone Audio for those REGEN's/    If I was impatient, I could get a couple of Teradak U9 Linear power supplies , though I have recently experienced what a "bespoke" power supply can do for my Oppo BDP-103 (Oppomod linear PSU plus a power filter made by a French electrical engineer, also bespoke for the Oppo).

short answer :   these new upgraded aftermarket power supplies currently still in development will provide the very best power to your REGEN, downside ... we have to wait a couple of months as it is very tenatively being suggested , that they will be available early October.    
Anyway, they are the one's I will be getting for my REGEN's.

John

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #213 of 1,138
Thanks so much for that quick reply...with PICTURES, no less! My set up right now is, PC to Vaunix to Geek Out (sometimes line out to an amp), using JRIVER (actually the Pono version) as software.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #214 of 1,138
Thanks so much for that quick reply...with PICTURES, no less! My set up right now is, PC to Vaunix to Geek Out (sometimes line out to an amp), using JRIVER (actually the Pono version) as software.

Thanks for clarifying your setup chain.

By the way I also own the Vaunix USB Hub and when I got my first USB Regen, discovered it to have a wonderful synergy for headphone listening.  
It was ;
source > Vaunix USB Hub > USB Regen > Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/AMP

Technically I do not why the Vaunix has a nice synergy with the USB Regen, but I would rank these configurations in the following order, with  1   being the best ;
1) source > Vaunix USB Hub > USB Regen > Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/AMP
2) source >  USB Regen > Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/AMP
3) source > Vaunix USB Hub > Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/AMP

Recently tested the following .... and it was the best of the lot (and the Vaunix/REGEN combo was hard to beat), another subtle improvement but  my new number 1 configuration ...
source > USB Regen > USB Regen > Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/AMP

all with $1 USB A Male to B Male adapters  ... my "USB Journey" has resulted in that it is much better to spend the money on USB tweaks or gizmo's like the USB REGEN if you want a significant upgrade.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #216 of 1,138
So far i read, i see that the regen should have an 5V power supply for best performance.
I'm interested in the ifi ipower 5V.

The Regen requires a minimum of 6V DC if it has to supply 5V power to your DAC or DAC/amp.
The Regen requires a minimum of 5V DC if it does not have to supply 5V power to your DAC or DAC/amp.

(snip)

Oh, if your DAC requires 5V power for it's USB input, you may need an iFi power 9V  (they comes in 5V, 9V, 12V varieties) to plug into the power part of the USB Regen.

This FAQ on UpTone website has more detailed information on why ...
http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

(snip)

Yes!

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #217 of 1,138

That echoes my experience ... a tablet sounds better than a home computer.  I think tablets are extremely undervalued as a source.

(snip)

I concur!

Having previously replaced my laptop with a FiiO X5 (for several months) as a Coaxial S/PDIF source for my Metrum Acoustics Ocatve MkII > Metrum Acoustincs Aurix > HD800...

... then, concurrent with getting hooked on Tidal HiFi, replacing the FiiO X5 with an iPad 3 > Pure i-20 dock (for several months), again as a Coaxial source for my desktop rig...

... I owe to you for infecting me with the idea of getting a CCK for my iPad 3 and ordering the USB Regen, for USB input to my Metrum stack > HD800.   Thanks!

Having briefly tried using my laptop > USB Regen > Metrum stack, there's no contest.  The internal battery-powered iPad 3 is much quieter.  

No hard drives, fans, or other moving parts - it's just quieter all around - and there's no chance of hum caused by a ground loop, either.

(snip)

Now for some perspective ... on where using USB A Male to B Male adapters made the most difference.

Using the adapter between Regen & DAC,  I consider essential ... & I am comfortable recommending this as I consider the difference to be easily heard (that is, not subtle).

Placing another $1 USB A Male to B Male Adapter  (instead of using the iFi Mercury) between Source and Regen, I consider a subtle positive upgrade. 

(snip)

Indeed, UpTone's principles both advocate use of the the short adapter between USB Regen and DAC, and many people concur - this provides the best SQ, but there was one contributor at CA who said he tried putting a Supra 0.7m cable between the Regen and his DAC, while also using a Supra 0.7m cable between his USB source and the Regen - with spectacular results - saying that the second Supra cable made a big improvement in body and fullness (IIRC).  

I posted that I have two Supra 0.7m cables, but when I replaced the small adapter (between the Regen and DAC) with a Supra 0.7m cable, I couldn't hear any difference.  
tongue.gif

So, I guess that puts me on the fence regarding any audible difference between using the adapter or another USB cable, but I've gone back to using the short adapter - as it just makes sense to keep the path to the DAC as short as possible once the USB Regen has worked its bit-cleaning magic.

Mike

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #218 of 1,138
  Regen just arrived.  Now I'm waiting for the TeraLink X2 LPS to arrive. 

http://www.teradak.com/products/46.html

Lets see what this does..

I really like mine, having adjusted the output to 7.0V for use with the Regen.  I don't think there's any reason for concern about it not offering enough amperage.  The Regen itself only pulls about 45mA and if your DAC or DAC/amp is USB-powered, by convention, it can't pull more than 500 mA from a USB port.  So, together, the total load couldn't be more than about 550mA.  

The Teralink X1/X2 LPS is rated at 800mA to 1000mA (varying with the voltage adjustment, I suspect).

iPad 3 > CCK > Supra 0.7m cable > USB Regen > USB A to B adapter > Metrum USB 2 (Anamero) module > Octave MkII > Aurix > HD800

:)

Mike

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #219 of 1,138
1)how much is that Teradak in the window? :) (doesn't list price on the site, seems you have to complete the order to find out).
2)I have iPad 3, seems like a good idea to use for something like TIDAL, but you couldn't play higher resolution files, if I'm correct.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #220 of 1,138
1)how much is that Teradak in the window?
smily_headphones1.gif
(doesn't list price on the site, seems you have to complete the order to find out).
2)I have iPad 3, seems like a good idea to use for something like TIDAL, but you couldn't play higher resolution files, if I'm correct.

I paid $59 for my TerDak U9 last year. I adjusted it down to 7.2 volts. The Regen likes it a little lower. At 8.5 to 9 volts the Regen runs hot. You just take out the top 4 corner screws and the top comes off. There is a little blue potentiometer, that is the adjustment.

I switched back to HQ Player last night and I'm playing upsampled PCM at 768khz and Quad DSD at 11.2 mhz through the Regen to my micro. It plays flawlessly and sounds great. It's nice to use the insane sample rate capabilities of this awesome little micro.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #221 of 1,138

I have iPad 4  as well as iPhone 5 .... and can play higher resolution files, up to 24/96  both WAV and AIFF formats (which is the resolution at which I purchase music from HDtracks).

I use an iOS app called   "Onkyo HF Player" , it is free, but has a $10 in app purchase that lets you do higher resolution.
Think it can even do single rate DSD as well as 24/96 but I am not really into DSD much.

You need an Apple CCK , and of course you will be limited by the storage on your iDevices.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #222 of 1,138
How about using it to stream from the PC, would that go higher in resolution (not that I can tell you for sure that I would hear the difference going to 24/192)? I have some apps on my ipad that stream...space on the iPad would be an issue for me, as it is for my Pono or other DAP, have lots of music, wouldn't have to add and remove on yet ANOTHER gadget!

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #223 of 1,138
How about using it to stream from the PC, would that go higher in resolution (not that I can tell you for sure that I would hear the difference going to 24/192)? I have some apps on my ipad that stream...space on the iPad would be an issue for me, as it is for my Pono or other DAP, have lots of music, wouldn't have to add and remove on yet ANOTHER gadget!

For streaming, I use JRiver Media Cente on my MacBook .... then JRemote iOS app on my iPhone.
This works best for my CD rips at 16/44.1 redbook.
Very stable for redbook ... though 24/96 is not, not good for streaming 24/96 (unless you convert to FLAC and use some lossless compression ... I do have a slight preference to keep music files in their native formats WAV or AIFF)

So I use $10 Onkyo HF Player for 24/96 files stored on my iPhone .... then use $10 JRemote/  $50 JRiver Media Centre JRMC on my Macbook to stream CD.
For a $70 in software ... it Works quite well.  Excellent in fact.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #224 of 1,138
Thanks, actually do have JRiver on my PC and another iMac, haven't used the app for iPad yet, I'll give it a try.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #225 of 1,138
For streaming, I use JRiver Media Cente on my MacBook .... then JRemote iOS app on my iPhone.
This works best for my CD rips at 16/44.1 redbook.
Very stable for redbook ... though 24/96 is not, not good for streaming 24/96 (unless you convert to FLAC and use some lossless compression ... I do have a slight preference to keep music files in their native formats WAV or AIFF)

So I use $10 Onkyo HF Player for 24/96 files stored on my iPhone .... then use $10 JRemote/  $50 JRiver Media Centre JRMC on my Macbook to stream CD.
For a $70 in software ... it Works quite well.  Excellent in fact.

+1 for Onkyo HF Player (on Android), I prefer it over USB Audio Player Pro, and any other mobile music player I've tried (all the major and some of the minor ones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back