UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 27, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #196 of 1,138

My current setup with the Regen. Better than my PC for home and portable enough to take to the Uni library! Thought there was no point buying a brand new Surface Pro 3 when the Pro 4 should only be a couple of months away, so I bought a Pro 2 second hand while I wait.

That echoes my experience ... a tablet sounds better than a home computer.  I think tablets are extremely undervalued as a source.

Recently got an Auralic Aries, and it is a nice upgrade over my iPad ... I love it ... but to put things in perspective I was actually had more of a "wow" experience by placing a Regen into my headphone rig.
I have an extra Regen PCB board, so testing a Regen in front of another Regen ... I found another level of improvement ... but to keep to reality, it was just a minor improvement over using a single Regen.
Still, I like it, so will keep that configuration.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #197 of 1,138
  My set up has a pretty good usb transport to my ifi micro idsd (love the idsd). I am outputting from a PPA V4 usb card with a battery PSU on its output.

My transport looks like this(before regen):
PPA V4 usb card > PPA red usb cable > ifi iusb power > gemini cable > Forza B to A usb adapter > micro idsd

After regen:
PPA V4 usb card > PPA red usb cable > Regen > Forza B to A usb adapter > micro idsd

I have eliminated the iusb power and the gemini cable. This setup gives me a significant SQ increase over the iusb power and gemini cable. It seems to add more texture and improves imaging with a blacker background.

The Regen and the micro idsd pairing very well here. Great product Uptone! :)

That echoes my experience of removing the iFi gemini and mercury cables (and then a usb hub),  when I installed the Regen.

Sometimes less is more ... sometimes not.   Sometimes it is just a "synergy" thing.

*** Oh, and I think very highly of iFi products, I was very impressed especially with both the sound & build quality of the gemini and mercury cables, in fact if I actually need a USB cable, I would just get one from iFi.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #198 of 1,138
  My set up has a pretty good usb transport to my ifi micro idsd (love the idsd). I am outputting from a PPA V4 usb card with a battery PSU on its output.

PPA V4 usb card > PPA red usb cable > ifi iusb power > gemini cable > Forza B to A usb adapter > micro idsd

After regen:
PPA V4 usb card > PPA red usb cable > Regen > Forza B to A usb adapter > micro idsd

I have eliminated the iusb power and the gemini cable. This setup gives me a significant SQ increase over the iusb power and gemini cable. It seems to add more texture and improves imaging with a blacker background.

Franatic, can you please compare the Forza adapter VS. a generic one in your current Micro setup for me? I'm thinking of buying one if there's a relatively decent improvement.

That echoes my experience of removing the iFi gemini and mercury cables (and then a usb hub),  when I installed the Regen.

Sometimes less is more ... sometimes not.   Sometimes it is just a "synergy" thing.

*** Oh, and I think very highly of iFi products, I was very impressed especially with both the sound & build quality of the gemini and mercury cables, in fact if I actually need a USB cable, I would just get one from iFi.

Although it would mean using a cable between the Regen and your DAC, did you try using the Gemini cable to your DAC with the data going through the Regen and the power coming from the iUSB Power? Just curious to see which one is better from a power alone standpoint.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #199 of 1,138

After regen:

Franatic, can you please compare the Forza adapter VS. a generic one in your current Micro setup for me? I'm thinking of buying one if there's a relatively decent improvement.

Although it would mean using a cable between the Regen and your DAC, did you try using the Gemini cable to your DAC with the data going through the Regen and the power coming from the iUSB Power? Just curious to see which one is better from a power alone standpoint.

I did try briefly both the iFi Gemini between Regen and DAC (with the power side of the Gemini being powered by an XPAL XP18000 LiPo battery).
I preferred the sound of the free USB A Male to B Male adapter between Regen and DAC.

Repeated the experiment ... I did not have the iUSB power had the Vaunix USB Hub instead so tried using the Vaunix for the power side of the Gemini ... still preferred the USB adapter.

*** Disclaimer ... these test were done about 3 months ago & I did a lot of testing of various configurations.  I do remember one of the configurations I tried had a lot of trouble handshaking for USB, but not sure if it was one of the 2 configurations mentioned above.   What I am completely certain about is that I preferred the included USB Adapter in every test. ***

Also tried the iFi Mercury between Regen and DAC ... still preferred the included free USB Adapter.

This completely goes against my previous experience that the included cables when you buy a piece of audio gear are useless and that you need to spend a little, but not a lot on cabling (that is I often find a noticeable subtle improvement when I go up to $100 on cabling something, then diminishing returns seriously hits in, and usually completely dissapears by the $200 mark.  I typically find this on USB, HDMI, anlaogue interconnects, speaker cabling, digital coax or toslink cables, power cables.   In fact my most expensive cable is actually my Steve Eddy "Q Audio" cable for Audeze, I think I paid about $240 as I needed a long HP cable ... I love it as there is no microphony like other HP cables. No regrets on that purchase.)

IMO experience, I must say that the included 6 inch USB cable with the USB Regen does sound nasty, quite harsh ... though I understand why it was included, it is just an "el cheapo" to keep the price down of the USB Regen and get you going .... and most people have an aftermarket USB cable anyway.    

Still, I find the USB A Male to B Male adapter that is included with the USB Regen a wonderful included accessory ... and was surprised that it beat the iFi Audio cables between REGEN and DAC   (as mentioned previously, quite a few times, I have a lot of respect for iFi Audio gear ... and it I actually did need a USB cable for a setup, they would be the very first place I looked to get a USB cable.  I do have a lot of respect for iFi, afterall they were the winners of my USB cable shootout).

I was so impressed with the USB adapter after the Regen ... that I also got more of the USB adapters  (they cost about $1 each on eBay) ... to place before the Regen ... which eliminated any requirement for USB cables at all. 

John

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #200 of 1,138
I received my Regen a few weeks ago and tried every combination possible with the gemini cable and the iusb power. Eventually I found that the best combination to be with the PPA usb cable directly to the Regen, eliminating the iusb power and gemini cable. The PPA usb cable is very good quality. How much better this setup is depends on what you power the Regen with. I tried the ipower first http://www.musicdirect.com/p-322395-ifi-ipower-outboard-supply.aspx
It was a step up from the Regen's supplied one.

I currently have a Teradak U9 linear(adjusted to 7.2 volts) on the Regen and it is a substantial upgrade. I ordered an hd plex supply:
 http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-Linear-Power-Supply-for-PC-Audio-and-CE-device.html
I am afraid the U9 is at it's current limit so I will replace it when the HD Plex arrives.......and I have uses for the HD Plex's other outputs. 

I love the Forza adapter that I had made. Matthew has made a few of these so email him for a quote......definitely worth it.
matthew@forzaaudioworks.com

This Regen and micro idsd combo is awesome. It will allow me to be patient as ifi continues to try to develop the idsd pro.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #201 of 1,138
  I received my Regen a few weeks ago and tried every combination possible with the gemini cable and the iusb power. Eventually I found that the best combination to be with the PPA usb cable directly to the Regen, eliminating the iusb power and gemini cable. The PPA usb cable is very good quality. How much better this setup is depends on what you power the Regen with. I tried the ipower first http://www.musicdirect.com/p-322395-ifi-ipower-outboard-supply.aspx
It was a step up from the Regen's supplied one.

I currently have a Teradak U9 linear(adjusted to 7.2 volts) on the Regen and it is a substantial upgrade. I ordered an hd plex supply:
 http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-Linear-Power-Supply-for-PC-Audio-and-CE-device.html
I am afraid the U9 is at it's current limit so I will replace it when the HD Plex arrives.......and I have uses for the HD Plex's other outputs. 

I love the Forza adapter that I had made. Matthew has made a few of these so email him for a quote......definitely worth it.
matthew@forzaaudioworks.com

This Regen and micro idsd combo is awesome. It will allow me to be patient as ifi continues to try to develop the idsd pro.

@ Franatic ... I will be interested in your thoughts between using the Teradak U9   VS   HD-Plex Linear PSU ...  to power the USB Regen.

Just trying to get a handle on the magnitude (if any) between these 2 different power supplies.

Currently, I use the 9V from my HD-Plex Linear PSU to power the USB Regen ... though have been curious about the Teradak U9  (to power some other devices, I am thinking of trying Optical Networking and running some Fibre to my Aries,   maybe a project for later in the year).

Then again, UpTone Audio is releasing (in maybe a couple of months) a less expensive power supply (in comparison the the JS-2) for the Regen and other power add-on's, which I am very interested in, due to the very positive experience I have had with  their Regen product. This may free up the 9V on my HD-Plex PSU so I can use it for Fibre Media convertors for optical networking.  So, I am holding off getting a Teradak U9 for now.

Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts on ... Teradak U9   VS   HD-Plex Linear PSU ...  to power the USB Regen.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #202 of 1,138
Duke, I just ordered the HD Plex so it will be 1-2 weeks, it comes from China. It is good though it will give me a chance to see how the TeraDak compares sonically and also whether ithe U9 can handle this load which is near it's max.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #203 of 1,138
I did try briefly both the iFi Gemini between Regen and DAC (with the power side of the Gemini being powered by an XPAL XP18000 LiPo battery).
I preferred the sound of the free USB A Male to B Male adapter between Regen and DAC.

Repeated the experiment ... I did not have the iUSB power had the Vaunix USB Hub instead so tried using the Vaunix for the power side of the Gemini ... still preferred the USB adapter.

*** Disclaimer ... these test were done about 3 months ago & I did a lot of testing of various configurations.  I do remember one of the configurations I tried had a lot of trouble handshaking for USB, but not sure if it was one of the 2 configurations mentioned above.   What I am completely certain about is that I preferred the included USB Adapter in every test. ***

Also tried the iFi Mercury between Regen and DAC ... still preferred the included free USB Adapter.

This completely goes against my previous experience that the included cables when you buy a piece of audio gear are useless and that you need to spend a little, but not a lot on cabling (that is I often find a noticeable subtle improvement when I go up to $100 on cabling something, then diminishing returns seriously hits in, and usually completely dissapears by the $200 mark.  I typically find this on USB, HDMI, anlaogue interconnects, speaker cabling, digital coax or toslink cables, power cables.   In fact my most expensive cable is actually my Steve Eddy "Q Audio" cable for Audeze, I think I paid about $240 as I needed a long HP cable ... I love it as there is no microphony like other HP cables. No regrets on that purchase.)

IMO experience, I must say that the included 6 inch USB cable with the USB Regen does sound nasty, quite harsh ... though I understand why it was included, it is just an "el cheapo" to keep the price down of the USB Regen and get you going .... and most people have an aftermarket USB cable anyway.    

Still, I find the USB A Male to B Male adapter that is included with the USB Regen a wonderful included accessory ... and was surprised that it beat the iFi Audio cables between REGEN and DAC   (as mentioned previously, quite a few times, I have a lot of respect for iFi Audio gear ... and it I actually did need a USB cable for a setup, they would be the very first place I looked to get a USB cable.  I do have a lot of respect for iFi, afterall they were the winners of my USB cable shootout).

I was so impressed with the USB adapter after the Regen ... that I also got more of the USB adapters  (they cost about $1 each on eBay) ... to place before the Regen ... which eliminated any requirement for USB cables at all. 

John

Great review and interesting results.
Still wondering though, how good would
be ifi mercury->regen->adapter->dac?
Seems to combine the best of two worlds.
Or adapter->regen->adapter->dac is better?
Thanks

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #204 of 1,138
  Duke, I just ordered the HD Plex so it will be 1-2 weeks, it comes from China. It is good though it will give me a chance to see how the TeraDak compares sonically and also whether ithe U9 can handle this load which is near it's max.

I am sure you will be happy with the HD-Plex,  I am.     Anyway, when you get a moment in a few weeks time, it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #205 of 1,138

John

Great review and interesting results.
Still wondering though, how good would
be ifi mercury->regen->adapter->dac?
Seems to combine the best of two worlds.
Or adapter->regen->adapter->dac is better?
Thanks

I tried .... 

ifi mercury->regen->adapter->dac

I found the following better ... 

adapter->regen->adapter->dac

Now for some perspective ... on where using USB A Male to B Male adapters made the most difference.

Using the adapter between Regen & DAC,  I consider essential ... & I am comfortable recommending this as I consider the difference to be easily heard (that is, not subtle).

Placing another $1 USB A Male to B Male Adapter  (instead of using the iFi Mercury) between Source and Regen, I consider a subtle positive upgrade. 

I think (and this seems to be the thoughts of a number of experienced people that I respect on Computer Audiophile), that if you want to get the very best out of the Regen,
spending the money on an inexpensive linear PSU will give a better result for the same type of money that an audiophile USB costs.
UpTone Audio are currently developing a number of power supply add-ons that could be used with the USB Regen, or other low voltage gear (I think for 5V or 7V gear, if my memory is correct).

Oh,   the USB Regen sounds great just out of the box, with no tweaks ... there are just a number of us who are a bit OCD about milking the absolute best from this great USB device ... just wrote that to keep things in perspective or grounded.    

Hope that helps.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #206 of 1,138
Duke40:
Thanks for all the informative posts about your experience and experimentation with the REGEN, cables, adapters, and power supplies.

Just wanted everyone to know that I am subscribed to this thread and am happy to answer questions about the device itself, or shipping status.  I'd prefer to let others tackle all the little connection and power comparison issues and recommendations as I don't myself have time to experiment with lots of permutations.  But I am happy to clarify any facts.
The REGEN threads at ComputerAudiophile are also a great place to find info and ask questions.  And someone even started a thread about our still-mysterious (but assuredly radical) forthcoming (October target) 1A 5/7V power supply:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index2.html#post440357

Ciao,

-Alex C.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #207 of 1,138
  Duke40:
Thanks for all the informative posts about your experience and experimentation with the REGEN, cables, adapters, and power supplies.

Just wanted everyone to know that I am subscribed to this thread and am happy to answer questions about the device itself, or shipping status.  I'd prefer to let others tackle all the little connection and power comparison issues and recommendations as I don't myself have time to experiment with lots of permutations.  But I am happy to clarify any facts.
The REGEN threads at ComputerAudiophile are also a great place to find info and ask questions.  And someone even started a thread about our still-mysterious (but assuredly radical) forthcoming (October target) 1A 5/7V power supply:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index2.html#post440357

Ciao,

-Alex C.

Alex, your welcome.

"Voldemort" , the upcoming power supply device of which  "we dare not speak it's name" ... or the "still-mysterious (but assuredly radical) forthcoming (October target) 1A 5/7V power supply:"
is what has me really intrigued ... not just for powering the REGEN ... but for some other low power devices for a project that I have in mind (Network Optical Isolation and maybe some OXCO clocks).

I know that you have a couple of different power supply options for the Regen and other 5/7V gear currently being developed together with John Swenson.

Once more detail can be revealed about these, then I would appreciate if you could post about them here in this thread ... though I do realise that may not be until sometime in September.

*** What will probably happen, is that I will get excited about what I see on CA, and post the information here. ***

As I am a "bitter & twisted" audiophile, it is quite unlike me to get excited ... though I am after my next significant fix or upgrade, so really am interested in what is coming next from UpTone Audio
(when it becomes prudent to reveal the details).

John

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #208 of 1,138
I tried .... 

Now for some perspective ... on where using USB A Male to B Male adapters made the most difference.

Using the adapter between Regen & DAC,  I consider essential ... & I am comfortable recommending this as I consider the difference to be easily heard (that is, not subtle).

Placing another $1 USB A Male to B Male Adapter  (instead of using the iFi Mercury) between Source and Regen, I consider a subtle positive upgrade. 

I think (and this seems to be the thoughts of a number of experienced people that I respect on Computer Audiophile), that if you want to get the very best out of the Regen,
spending the money on an inexpensive linear PSU will give a better result for the same type of money that an audiophile USB costs.
UpTone Audio are currently developing a number of power supply add-ons that could be used with the USB Regen, or other low voltage gear (I think for 5V or 7V gear, if my memory is correct).

Oh,   the USB Regen sounds great just out of the box, with no tweaks ... there are just a number of us who are a bit OCD about milking the absolute best from this great USB device ... just wrote that to keep things in perspective or grounded.    

Hope that helps.

Thanks for heads up, even though i have to admit the mercury will give me more space to move the DAC around the desk.
So far i read, i see that the regen should have an 5V power supply for best performance.
I'm interested in the ifi ipower 5V.
But you said that uptone is devolping their own power supliers, so should i wait for them?
Importantly i want less noise flor.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #209 of 1,138
I'm a bit confused, not too much of a tecchie...I'm using the LH Labs Geek Out 1k out of my computer (Special Edition), have it plugged into the Vaunix Lab Brick. Would a power supply go before the lab brick? separate into the Regen?
Thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #210 of 1,138

I tried .... 

Hope that helps.

Thanks for heads up, even though i have to admit the mercury will give me more space to move the DAC around the desk.
So far i read, i see that the regen should have an 5V power supply for best performance.
I'm interested in the ifi ipower 5V.
But you said that uptone is devolping their own power supliers, so should i wait for them?
Importantly i want less noise flor.

That is what I am doing ... UpTone Audio of course have the JS-2 linear PSU, though my thoughts is that is a bit of overkill for just powering a single USB Regen
(not that I don't think of getting a JS-2 ... if I could power a DAC and a Regen from the JS-2, then I would have bought one by now, unfortunately my DAC/HeadAMP requires 19V which is a bit rare),
so I am waiting for their own UpTone Audio power supplies for the Regen which are both radical and less expensive.

Oh, if your DAC requires 5V power for it's USB input, you may need an iFi power 9V  (they comes in 5V, 9V, 12V varieties) to plug into the power part of the USB Regen.

This FAQ on UpTone website has more detailed information on why ...
http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

So I am going to be patient and wait for the new power products from UpTone Audio, hard as that may be for me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back