UPS BILLING
Sep 8, 2005 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ChiSinLo

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i need some help
confused.gif
confused.gif

i bought a pair of hd595 from a head-fi member a couple of weeks ago and i got a letter from ups today. it said i owe them over 100$CAD

here are the list of the charges...

entry prep fee 41.20
disbursement fee 5.85
CA COD surcharge 4.25
customs gst 24.47
CA british columbia PST 24.74
brokeage gst 3.29
cod gst 0.30

i dont understand what im paying for. thanks

edit: i paied 172USD for the headphones

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to the wonderful world of Canadian import duties and taxes levied just for you (to assure speedy delivery, of course) by everyone's favorite logistics company, United Parcel Services.

In other words: UPS is charging you ridiculously large amounts because it has a special deal with Canadian Customs that means they get their packages through quickly, as long as they charge outlandish fees.

edit again: there's nothing you can do except pay the fees (and get your package) or refuse it and have it returned to the sender.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to the UPS suck appreciation groups
icon10.gif

When a package arrive in canada taxe has to be collected and duty have to be access. Most item have no duty only taxe. To fill up the form UPS charge(entry prep fee $ 41.20)then they pay your taxe so they charge you (disbursement fee 5.85 CA COD surcharge 4.25) Disbursment fee mean they charge you because they are paying the taxe before billing to you. Like a money advance. the COD (Collect on Delivery) charge is to go collect your money
biggrin.gif
so let sumarise charging for paying the taxe for you and charging to bill you great.
rolleyes.gif

Then their is the associated taxe on all those service (brokeage gst 3.29
cod gst 0.30) and the actual PST and GST on the product.

it get even better they still charge the brokerage fee even when you don't own taxe and the value is higher than $20

USPS (US Postal Office) does all this for 5$ most of the time. So morality never ever use UPS brokerage for UPS ground to canada.

I never tried but you can do your own brokerage next time.This time is too late UPS already done it. Next time ask the seller to give you the tracking number ASAP. Call UPS and tell them you want to do your own brokerage. When the package will come you will have to go pick up some form go to the custom office. Fill out all the form, pay taxe, return to UPS and claim your product. I haven't done it yet so I'm not familiar with the process but I know it can be done to save money. It can be an hassle if the custom office is far away.

Again USPS does it for you for $5 so does it worth it to go to the custom office for some it does.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 7
thanks for all the info guys!! but damn.. damn ups!! hahaha

i also think the seller declared a higher price then the price i paid. i think he declared the headphones to be 290$USD...

is there anything i can do to correct that and pay less on GST and PST..??

thanks for the quick replys guys

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 7
For future reference, you should never use UPS for shipping goods to Canada. There are no "duties" or "tariffs" being collected. Apart from PST/GST, all the rest are bogus fees going straight to UPS. The actual fees are detailed here:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

This particular bill they sent you is especially maddening, because they assessed you the $4.25 "COD Fee". They're ONLY supposed to charge that fee when the UPS delivery person tries to collect money directly from you upon delivery, not when they send you a bill in the mail.

Furthermore, you're only supposed to pay GST and PST on the amount you paid for the item, not how much it's "worth".

Here's what I would do:
Cross off all the charges on the bill. Write them a letter telling them that you were not presented with the implied terms of the delivery contract upon delivery. They cannot charge you after the fact for something you did not agree to. Tell them that the price you paid was $172 USD, or $204.50 CAD. Send them a cheque for PST+GST on that amount ($30.67).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back