Upgrading from a pair of B & W PX
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sheamus

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of the original PX headphones; at the time I bought them nothing was close in terms of SQ, with a balanced sound for acoustic, country, and rock... I remember trying our the origina XM's and they were sooo base heavy. My PX's still work fine, though the battery has started to die on them, and the fabric came unglued (and became lost) the headband. The leather has gotten softer, and in fact I find them so comfy that I can wear them in bed while lying on my side. They can be finicky when connecting, especially if I used them with tablet prior to phone. The app isn't great, though it used to be useful because you could access the manual, but they removed that feature. For audio calls, they are pretty bad. With the battery dying and advances in Bluetooth cans, I am debating an upgrade.

I am not a true audiophile, but I am fairly picky. I don't like an emphasis on base, and while I like detail, I don't want the detail to become tiring, or harsh. I listen to a fair bit of rock & roll (mostly older), folk, country (both newer and the bubble-gum variety).

Originally, I thought the newer generation of Bluetooth cans would be nice to use with a PC when I am travelling (for virtual meetings), but from what I have read, they are all pretty good for this task. but if one really excelled at this, it could help me justify the purchase.

I do take a lot of calls during the day, and especially in the summer, stepping outside while on the call is nice, so the ability to knock out wind, and traffic noise would be nice. I care more about noise cancelling on the microphone than about blocking outside noise from my own ears.

I do travel for work a fair bit, so decent ANC on the airplane is nice. Oddly, I tend to do some of my most intense listening on the plane too. I do find that some ANC headphones have a dramatic drop in SQ when ANC is active. The PXs had this, but not as bad as others at the time. So ANC isn't a huge deal, I am sure they would all be a big upgrade over the PX in this department, so long as SQ don't take a bit hit when active.

These are an early leader, it seems no one else is close on call quality, and the sound is pretty good if you play with the EQ. The XM5's seem to have the fewest annoyances with quirky software, connectivity, etc. However, I do hate touch controls. I have not had a chance to try these yet, though I am sure the SQ will be an improvement over the older PX's given aptX HD alone.

The PX8's were out of my budget. The S2s got mixed reviews. But the S2E's have my attention, as they are half the price of the PX8s (in Canada) the same price as the XM5's, and by most accounts, the audio has improved a fair bit over the S2's. Given the type of music I generally listen to, these seem like the best fit accoustically. I do worry about call quality... Is there any chance the earpads from my PXs would fit on the S2Es?

I have also really looked at the Momentum 4s. I generally like Sennheiser's sound. I know each set is different of the buds, and 2 sets of Senn cans I have had, I liked the signature of all of them (can't recall models). From what I have read, I would like the sound. From most metrics I care about it seems they would land in between the the S2E's and the XM5s.

I really wish there was somewhere around hear I could try these out. But I will have to order online one at a time... so any advice would be great.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back