Upgraded Woo Audio 6?
Aug 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #166 of 187
Found this thread, such great info.....I just have 1 question for the supreme ears on this thread, after the 700+, does it seem worth the cost for the Maxed out WA6? jantze, jamato8....other modders? I'm very torn at adding the 4 upgrade option with Jack for the new WA6 I'm about to order.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #167 of 187
At the least, I would get the pseudo dual power supply as this, to me, is the biggest upgrade and fairly inexpensive.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #168 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i burned it in continously up til around 400+ hrs...i made sure the unit
had good ventilation and my wife was home to make sure nothing burned down...
it's a great opportunity to experience a "burn-in" of caps, if you've
never experienced or believed in it...i burned in a new akg701 along with it...

You left the amp on for 400+ hours straight? Does it make a difference if you only burn it in at like 8 hours at a time?

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #169 of 187
No, 8 hours at a time is fine and turning the amp on and off helps to form the caps. I would just listen to it and enjoy the sound. I note the differences because I find it interesting and because I am still skeptical after all these years.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #170 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You left the amp on for 400+ hours straight? Does it make a difference if you only burn it in at like 8 hours at a time?

i don't think it would make any difference if you did it one way or the other.
i was anxious to see what 400 hrs. would do for it, at the time... i don't think
it's a good idea to do it unless you have great ventilation and someone around
in the house to keep an eye on things...

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #171 of 187
I've just went trough this thread as I'm on the market for a nice amp and am pretty much decided to go with a Wa6 (+ Pseudo dual mod + sophia princess). Now I was wondering if the capacitors upgrade worth the heavy price asked for it. Reading you I feel yes, well, especially as most of you are able to do it by yourselves and even improve it. I must admit I'm amazed ! Are you all engineers or did you learned by yourselves ? How is it cheaper DIY vs. Woo modding ?

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #172 of 187
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #173 of 187
Well thanks... I've read part if this lloooonngg thread. But I didn't really find a question to the question I hve now. Among the parts upgrade, if I had to choose one, which one should it be, the black gate or the v-cap ? I'm just trying to squeeze my budget for this amp and well... ok, I shouldn't have been on this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #174 of 187
I would do the pseudo dual power supply and some good couping caps but they don't need to be the expensive V caps. See what else they offer.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #175 of 187
John, what would you recommend as far as coupling caps. Would you use the same value, just better quality?

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #176 of 187
I understood the pseudo dual mod was a must, so ok for this one. In regards of the coupling caps, aren't they already included within the stock unit ? Unless in this case it's more than a part upgrade but a additional caps.. Sorry if the answer is obvious but I'm not to sure to have the required background for understanding the use of these different caps : coupling, decoupling, bypass..

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #177 of 187
The cap between the two section of the tube. The cap allows the AC musical signal to pass but a cap does not allow DC to flow. The music goes through this cap. It is important that is why I recommended the V-cap a long time ago and they started using them as part of the upgrade but if you are trying to save money you don't have to spend that much to get a good cap. I don't know what else they carry but I am sure they have something better than the stock cap that the V-cap replaces.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #179 of 187
Thanks for the clarification John.

So just to be clear, in your opinion the coupling cap are the most important ones along the signal path and represent a better upgrade than the others black-gate caps suggested by Jack.
What about the stock coupling cap included in the stock unit ? is it so "feeble" that it's a must to upgrade it or is it still ok ?
I'm asking a lot of questions here but I like to understand things and above all, want to get it right on the first order. Don't really want to play with the back & forth shipping ! So thanks for all your knowledgeable advices
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #180 of 187
I have listened to a stock WA6 next to my maxed WA6 and the differences were subtle - the stock caps are transparent enough and I would do what Jam says and get the PDPSU and Sophia Princess and have 95% of the maxed WA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back