Upgrade time!!! DAC1, DA100, or something else
Oct 2, 2008 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I have finally decide to give the EMU0202 well deserved rest. Its time for an upgrade but I am a little unsure on which direction to go. My current setup is in my sig ie. Foobar->EMU 0202->Gilmore Lite->Dowin cabled HD650

My primary objective is to upgrade the EMU 0202. USB is a MUST. Budget is around 1000$. Here are some of the options I have considered so far

Benchmark DAC1 with USB and shut the hell up (If I go for this option, will gilmore lite really be of any use? the built in amp is around the same level as far as I have heard from others, so I can sell the Glite to help reach the 1300 price tag, and then save up for a bigger amp later on)

Stello DA100 and keep the Gilmore Lite

Keces DA151 with Gilmore Lite, get another headphones (Denon D5000's maybe)

Keces DA151 sell Gilmore Lite use remainder for a better amp

Any word on the new Corda Symphony?

Is Cantate worth considering?

I am completely open for suggestions as well. I like the HD650 signature so I am not in a rush to change the headphone, I would very much like to build the rest of the rig around the 650's. No tube amp suggestions please, not practical for workplace. DAC gets highest priority, unless I really am limited by the Lite, I dont want to upgrade it as of now. And 1000$ is just the outer limit, if I have money left, I can use it for my other hobbies (a nice prime lens for my DSLR maybe
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 9
Bechmark DAC1 USB can kiss my ass in terms of headphone amp being at Dynalo level. As a DAC, I've heard it's quite nice.

Stello DA100 is another very nice USB DAC that also resamples to 192/24, some prefer it to DAC1, some prefer DAC1. Both are nice DACs.

Keces 151, it's nothing more than a maxed-out PCM2702E DAC, grab the $40 AlienDAC kit, $40 build a PSU and spend $20 on output caps, you've just gotten a better DAC.

Corda Cantate has another PCM2702 DAC, amp is nice, but I don't think it's nicer than the Dynalo.

The DAC in the Corda Symphony is on a whole other level, definitely a nice and worthwhile upgarde. I'm just not the biggest fan of the amp design, I'm fairly biased towards Class-A discrete amps.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Well that clears up some doubts, I will keep the GLite then and maybe invest in the DPS if I have money left.

I almost went ahead and ordered the Stello cos its more pocket friendly and I like the upsampling reviews I have read. But then I read quite a few posts that it doesnt pair well with the HD650's and that really threw me off. Any idea regarding that issue?

DAC1 is really sweet, but IMO a bit too pricey at 1300$ and if the amp isnt as good as the Glite, then I am not planning on increasing my budget by 300$ more.

Any other options in the 500-800$ range?

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that clears up some doubts, I will keep the GLite then and maybe invest in the DPS if I have money left.

I almost went ahead and ordered the Stello cos its more pocket friendly and I like the upsampling reviews I have read. But then I read quite a few posts that it doesnt pair well with the HD650's and that really threw me off. Any idea regarding that issue?

DAC1 is really sweet, but IMO a bit too pricey at 1300$ and if the amp isnt as good as the Glite, then I am not planning on increasing my budget by 300$ more.

Any other options in the 500-800$ range?

Sounds like BS to me, what about the amp in between the two? I have the DA100 Signature and I use the 650s and I am set for years to come. The DA100 is amazing. If you plan on using the upsampling features of the DA100 with your 650s then you want a neutral, clean sounding amp, which is exactly what you have. Bad news on the DSP though, Justin doesnt make them anymore. The DAC 1 is bright and analytical and the Stello is punchy and smooth. Im sure the DAC 1 would make a good source for a warm tube amp but I think the Stello will work with just about any setup.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 9
I would love to try the Stello at some point, but am using a DAC1 and DAC1USB at present in different setups. I don't find them bright at all. The sound is smooth, detailed and neutral to my ears. Sounds fantastic with my HD650. I am yet to find an external amp that betters the internal (not that I have been searching hard, but have tried around 6 or so).

Remember to let us know how you go and what you go with...

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 9
It really depends what your trying to do.

The Lavry DA10 with balanced outs and a variable output sounds great if you pick up a balanced cable (even re-terminated stock) you've got a very nice compact system that most under $600 amps aren't going to contribute. I like the Glite, but haven't compared it single-ended to the DA10 balanced. I did have a MacBook/Lavry/Senn rig for a year though.

The PS Audio Digital Link III sounds great.

If you had a Mac I'd recommend the Apogee Duet hands down.

Personally I'd recommend you either go vintage off eBay or Audiogon (keep an eye on Parasound 1100 HD, 1500 HD or 1600 HD for $200-300ish and get a USB-optical adapter if necessary) or wait for Headamps new Pico DAC-only or even the existing Pico ($500). I think you'll have difficulty getting much better for under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back