UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #617 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenarrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just purchased a AKG K702 can. Can the D2 Viper supports this?

Not well, I would get a mains powered amp. After all, you're not going to walk far with a pair of those on your head are you?

I had a D3 then bought a Meier Arietta as my K701's were under powered.

Steven.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #618 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get sound, but the K702 will not sing with the D2 Viper.

Which portable amps can sing with the Viper? How about a XM5 or Styleaudio Peridot?

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #619 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenarrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which portable amps can sing with the Viper? How about a XM5 or Styleaudio Peridot?

The D2 Viper is a portable amp.

Steven.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #620 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will listen to the analog input to make sure it doesn't suck (like the Stock D1) or make sure that it isn't substantially different from the DAC input.

Cool, that would be wonderful.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #621 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Larry, I am still waiting for your burnt review of the D10 Cobra.

And I'm sure that post is going to make Larry drop what he was doing and finish it right up for you.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #622 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'm sure that post is going to make Larry drop what he was doing and finish it right up for you.

Seems that even you are interested in this particular review
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #623 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems that even you are interested in this particular review
biggrin.gif

Not really. I'm just a fan of having people who spend a lot of time and effort doing reviews treated with a little courtesy when inquiring about the status of something they have said they would review.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #624 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. I'm just a fan of having people who spend a lot of time and effort doing reviews treated with a little courtesy when inquiring about the status of something they have said they would review.

I didn't mean to say that. I've got lot of patience, I am just a big fan of monster reviews. Even I am a big fan of your reviews as well.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #625 of 1,096
Cool, no worries. It's just been a bit of a sore spot lately
wink.gif
Cheers.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #627 of 1,096
Quote:

RANKING: I HATE THE RANKING BECAUSE NOW I HAVE TOO MANY 3RD PLACE TIES, ALTHOUGH FOR DIFFERENT REASONS, and I would not wish to part with any of the amps in 3rd or higher because they all have an area where they excel.

Perhaps you have considered, or would enjoy, a different ranking system, like Currawong used to rank some full size DACs. This would be more flexible as you continue to add DACs over the years.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it's hard to describe the degree of difference between the two units, if we rate an iPod at 5 and my Northstar at 100, the Nakamichi Dragon DAC gets 120, the Lavry DA-10 and Benchmark DAC 1 come in at 95, the Zero DAC (stock) would be about 60 and the Compass would be an 80.

Alternatively you could just give points for different aspects of their performance (bass, treble, flexibility, power efficiency...) and then users could weigh the rankings on their own depending on what's important to them. Its one way to break the tie for 3rd place.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #629 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe Tag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you have considered, or would enjoy, a different ranking system, like Currawong used to rank some full size DACs. This would be more flexible as you continue to add DACs over the years.

Alternatively you could just give points for different aspects of their performance (bass, treble, flexibility, power efficiency...) and then users could weigh the rankings on their own depending on what's important to them. Its one way to break the tie for 3rd place.

I would prefer to just have detailed descriptions of the sound and how they do with a variety of headphones, and let the users decide.
tongue.gif

I keep thinking I will stop doing this after my last review, and then the next DAC/amp comes along that I cannot resist...

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #630 of 1,096
Quote:

I would prefer to just have detailed descriptions of the sound and how they do with a variety of headphones, and let the users decide.
tongue.gif

I keep thinking I will stop doing this after my last review, and then the next DAC/amp comes along that I cannot resist...

Don't worry, don't resist and keep going with reviews!
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back