Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 13, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #196 of 321
The internet rule of people pointing out someone's mistake is in full swing. Good job!
However I'm getting conflicting info here. Eric says they don't do that, and all you guys are saying it is glued on? I don't understand this situation.

I agree with erics75 here - the lower price point makes it all worthwhile, and I am not mad about it - I'm still gonna buy it - it just belongs in the "letdown" category.
I have HD660S2 as my primary driver for 6 months now, and it makes me happy. :slight_smile:

May 13, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #197 of 321
The internet rule of people pointing out someone's mistake is in full swing. Good job!
However I'm getting conflicting info here. Eric says they don't do that, and all you guys are saying it is glued on? I don't understand this situation.

I agree with erics75 here - the lower price point makes it all worthwhile, and I am not mad about it - I'm still gonna buy it - it just belongs in the "letdown" category.
I have HD660S2 as my primary driver for 6 months now, and it makes me happy. :slight_smile:
The ear pads that surround your ear will not have adhesive. I'm assuming it will use the same ring system the other 6 series use, but for sure no adhesives here.

The headband that sits on the top of your head is where adhesives are used.

May 13, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #198 of 321
1715621955804.png

This is how it looks like.

May 13, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #199 of 321
1715621955804.png
This is how it looks like.
A few tricks I've learned swapping adhesive parts with Senn and other brands:

The colder the better. Adhesive hardens when cold, and comes off much easier. I thought about sticking my headphone in the freezer for a bit but worried that would introduce too much moister into the driver cavity, possibly causing corrosion. But I did go outside on a cold day to remove my headband once and it did come off much much easier.

Go slow, don't rip the pad off fast like you're waxing. If the adhesive starts to stick to the headband and not the pad, push the pad back and try to retack the adhesive to the pad, and give it a few rounds of this. Often if you're patient all the adhesive will come off without too much effort.

If the adhesive does stay on the headphone just put some Goo Gone on a washcloth or rag and rub the spot, that usually takes it right off without issue. Rubbing alcohol also does the trick well.

Yeah it's not as nice as the easy slider system, but it's not that that bad either. Hopefully they use the more gelatin like adhesives that pull off easy, and not the ultra strong stuff that takes insane strength to remove, and leaves blobs of itself all over the base.

May 13, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #200 of 321
It is glued on, and people using wax or other stuff in their hair style, might accelerate the cushions degradation.
Which they can replace. The headband padding is 100% replaceable, but yes it uses an adhesive to stay put. We've done this for over 20 years with select headphones. If I were to estimate, headband padding is replaced at 1/20th the interval as earpads, but it is still an option for those that need to, with most models we make. For those still reading, the earpads use a collar built into the earpads that allow them to snap on/off the coupling ring on the chassis.
The sliders, I presume, are plastic like 560s.

If indeed plastic, adjusting clamp will be a PITA. Metal bends and stays bent. Plastic springs back to original position. Eventually it will adjust (some) but nowhere near as easily as metal.
"Slider" is probably too vague. The headband "spine" (the core of the mechanism) is metal. Yes, there's plastic on the surround/shell and tension mechanism that locks it into the detents. I'm holding one in my hand and there is some malleability to it but no, it is not designed to be custom shaped after purchase.
Headband is glued no earpads but still stupid choices for make new headphones of 6 series line which is medium hifi priced headphones with glued something like toys
I'm politely pushing back on you @neobandog1 and have also accepted that nothing we say will change your mind that you dislike this. That's fine. We look forward to answering any other questions you may have but are moving on from your remarks about it.
Sennheiser hd490 pro have better sistem for headband like velcro style...no glue staff
Thank you for your feedback.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 13, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #201 of 321
I just hope it isolates well, there's a certain someone in the office that just loves to complain about anything she can hear that she feels she shouldn't "have" to hear. ie my death metal....
Me too.

But that coworker sounds like a FUN person! Unless you're using open backs, I can't imagine the music being loud enough to complain about.

Even with an open back, it seems pretty petty. I wouldn't say my office is loud but coworkers talking, walking, typing, answering the phone etc. are louder than any leakage I'd produce even with an open back Hifiman or something else extremely open.

May 13, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #202 of 321
Me too.

But that coworker sounds like a FUN person! Unless you're using open backs, I can't imagine the music being loud enough to complain about.

Even with an open back, it seems pretty petty. I wouldn't say my office is loud but coworkers talking, walking, typing, answering the phone etc. are louder than any leakage I'd produce even with an open back Hifiman or something else extremely open.
Oh yeah, she's fun alright! hahaha She goes out of her way to cause trouble, but since she's been with the company since the big bang, she's going nowhere. She complains about noise, scents (perfumes, etc), talking volume, and anything else you can think of. Toxic is an understatement. Worst part, she's so aggressive, she'll run to HR at the drop of a hat over the slightest imagined affront. And we're in a very quiet office, so sound carries, and I do tend to listen loud. Most closed headphones are ok, but some are more of the "semi-closed" variety, and leak as bad as open sets. I miss my last job, I had my own office :frowning2: I listened to open sets most days without issue, even with my door open. Miss those days.

May 13, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #203 of 321
"Slider" is probably too vague

Not at all. Slider is that part of the headband that slides in and out to adjust headphones to head size.

On the 6X0 series, the sliders are metal and hence may be bent to adjust clamp.
On the 560s headphones, the sliders are plastic so bending is not possible.

In other words, are the sliders (as defined above) metal (like HD6X0) or plastic like HD560s ?

May 13, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #204 of 321
Today amazon.de have sennheiser hd660s2 for 407eur...which headphones is better hd660s2 or hd620s for only 50eur difference is a tough choice over time will drop price also for 620s...i have attempted to buy hd620s only for more bass than 660s2 and for angled driver which i prefer an for last the isolation which I need when other family watch tv in same room when playing some games and music....and i like 560s but to harsh and thin sounding lean type of tone note......but love soundstage of it....I will buy it and try and then i will tell last word if is good tuning or not...

May 13, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #205 of 321
In other words, are the sliders (as defined above) metal (like HD6X0) or plastic like HD560s ?
He answered that in the next sentence, maybe you minunderstood. The "spine" (read: slider) is made of metal, and the rest of the headband is composite.
He also stated that it's not supposed to be malleable, though since the "spine" is metal I'm sure you'll be able to get at least a little plastic deformation out of it.

May 13, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #206 of 321
Indeed, he did :)

May 13, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #207 of 321
I know you doing adesive headband but don t understand doing this in 6 series which is more premium headphones than 5 series and have replaceable headband modular one which is appropriate with medium priced headphones nowadays...in the hot climate glue is you worse enemy i known that...maybe next time you you will replaced glue with real series replaceable headband all people would be more happy with that system trust me...thanks
I guess I'm being a bit rude, but I heard you the first 5 times. You have an answer directly from Sennheiser, you can accept it, or you can take your business to a manufacturer who offers a product that better suits you.

Just saying......

May 13, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #208 of 321
Oh yeah, she's fun alright! hahaha She goes out of her way to cause trouble, but since she's been with the company since the big bang, she's going nowhere. She complains about noise, scents (perfumes, etc), talking volume, and anything else you can think of. Toxic is an understatement. Worst part, she's so aggressive, she'll run to HR at the drop of a hat over the slightest imagined affront. And we're in a very quiet office, so sound carries, and I do tend to listen loud. Most closed headphones are ok, but some are more of the "semi-closed" variety, and leak as bad as open sets. I miss my last job, I had my own office :frowning2: I listened to open sets most days without issue, even with my door open. Miss those days.

Sounds very similar to the position I'm in! I've been working remotely since 2020 but I got laid off last fall, luckily got a job quickly as a contractor, and mid-April got converted to a full-time employee with benefits. Which is great and a big step up for me but now I have to commute downtown three days a week.

I miss my open backs and headphone amp.

I'm hopeful the 620s will allow me to enjoy music more in the office while also being affordable enough I won't obsess over something happening to it, and easy enough to drive over a dongle.

I might be crazy enough to justify something like a DCA E3 in theory but no way am I leaving a $2K headphone on my desk in an open floor office on the off chance it gets stolen.

May 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #209 of 321
Hello Head-Fi!

Our HD 600 audiophile headphone series is growing again today, as we proudly introduce the HD 620S: a purist headphone created for head-bobbing listening sessions when seclusion from the outside world is a must. It carries forward some of the most desired sonic characteristics of the family: superb texture reproduction, intimate vocals, and distortion-free sound at practically any listening level…with a modern twist that sounds unexpectedly…open! Are you looking to add an engaging, high-performance set of sealed cans to your collection? Let’s take a closer look.

Senn_HD_620S_Iso_View (1).jpg

Just you and your music
The heart of the HD 620S is all 600 series; a custom-tuned 42mm dynamic transducer with a 38mm diaphragm and 150-ohm impedance, made at our state-of-the-art Tullamore factory. Its DNA has been evolved to defy the boxy assumptions of the closed back format. Its high damping factor and speedy aluminum voice coil reproduce transients and elongated instrument tails effortlessly, letting the listener soak up the details of musical passages as they enter and exit the recording. The modernized tuning is a distinct and unique flavor to the family, "unveiling" nuance and clarity while nestled inside an isolating earcup that further deepens the black backdrop audiophiles crave. This acoustic chamber is where the fun begins…

Take a panoramic
The HD 620S harnesses an iconic Sennheiser chassis (HD 560S, HD 598, HD 555 to name just a few), lauded for its instant “sweet spot”, and long-term wearing comfort...but most importantly is its transducer geometry; the angled baffle recreates the triangular imaging of a loudspeaker setup for exciting panoramic imaging that pulls the listener right into the front-row. The imaging, which is uncharacteristically wide for a closed headphone, utilizes a remarkably open baffle and steel plate that is both an effective isolator from the outside world, and facilitator of internal reflections crucial to the open sensation.

Senn_HD_620s_Sectional_View.jpg

While open headphones are an audio purist staple, closed headphones are invaluable for critical listening when isolation from the world around the listener is essential. Audiophiles like us have long been accustomed to sacrificing wide imaging and engaging dynamics in order to mitigate distractions. No more – the HD 620S lets you unpack your favorite music without disturbing your roommates, partners and even coworkers – who can remain oblivious to your hi-fi passion. A combination of selectively absorbent and reflective build materials manage soundwaves with a minimum of damping behind the surround. That aforementioned surround was adopted from the HD 660S2 and is highly compliant for deep bass with punch and clarity. Even the synthetic leather earpads play a role in disguising the closed listening experience – the perforations and material densities were spec’d to absorb unnecessary reflections in the front volume, effectively remanding the “honk” tone inherent in many closed designs.

HD 620S frequency curve .jpg

Built to last
The HD 620S was made for the long haul with a new metal-reinforced headband and earcup housings. The band and earpads provide a snug-but-luxurious fit, tensioned to block out the outside world for extended listening sessions. The twist-lock single-sided cable terminates to a single-ended 3.5mm / ⅛-inch plug, with 1.8 meters (~6 feet) of length between terminations. A 6.3mm / ¼-inch adapter is included for connection to a huge variety of amplifiers, soundcards, interfaces, and mobile devices. Available later this summer, an optional, balanced 4.4mm cable will let you tap into the growing range of hi-fi devices now supporting the connector such as amplifiers, DAPs, and DAC-amps. This cable platform adds to the versatility of the HD 620S, letting you connect existing 1st and 3rd party cables at varying lengths and options such as those with in-line microphones.

The HD 620S begins shipping on June 6th 2024—it is available to pre-order from select retailers and at sennheiser-hearing.com. We will host a product tour (to be announced shortly), a Q&A with the HD 620S product manager, and have some additional HD 620S content coming to Head-Fi leading up to the availability date.

@ericpalonen will be here to help answer any questions, with an HD 620S at the ready.

Specifications

• Coupling - Over-ear (circumaural), synthetic leather pads
  • Acoustic principle - Closed-back (sealed)
  • Transducer - Dynamic, 42mm (38mm diaphragm)
  • Frequency response - 6 - 30,000 Hz
  • Impedance - 150 ohms
  • SPL - 110 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion - <0.05% @ 1 kHz, 90 dB
  • Headband: metal reinforced, adjustable slider
  • Weight - 326g (without cable)
  • Cable - 1.8m (~6ft) with 3.5mm (⅛-inch) stereo plug; includes 3.5mm to 6.3mm (¼-inch) adapter; single-sided entry

Hello) Sennheiser/
1) At $149 for the 560S, it's a good value overall.
2) One of the advantages of the 560S is its low weight.
3) They say the bolts are falling out. But that's because the 560S has another drawback, more clamping force.

What did they do in 620S))
1) The price is 2 times higher.
2) The weight is much greater.
3) The pressing force is greater.

By reducing the clamping force, there would be no need to insert iron; the structure is already strong.
There is no iron and the price could not be raised so high.
And the weight would be less.

May 13, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #210 of 321
Sounds very similar to the position I'm in! I've been working remotely since 2020 but I got laid off last fall, luckily got a job quickly as a contractor, and mid-April got converted to a full-time employee with benefits. Which is great and a big step up for me but now I have to commute downtown three days a week.

I miss my open backs and headphone amp.

I'm hopeful the 620s will allow me to enjoy music more in the office while also being affordable enough I won't obsess over something happening to it, and easy enough to drive over a dongle.

I might be crazy enough to justify something like a DCA E3 in theory but no way am I leaving a $2K headphone on my desk in an open floor office on the off chance it gets stolen.
Glad you got back on your feet so quickly, layoffs are scary.

It's tough finding a happy medium of work set that sounds good, isn't a pain to deal with (big amps, delicate cup, etc.).

I know what it's like when you're new to an office and don't know what you can get away with or what you want to push the envelope with. When i started at my current job in a cube (after having an office previously) I kept it simple with an HD569 and Dragonfly Red. Really decent sounding and no fuss whatsoever. As I learned the company, the security issues (none thankfully), and my boss' tolerances, I've now graduated to big a$$ tube amps and ZMFs at work hahaha. Basically as long as i'm not leaking sound i can do as i please. I do transport the ZMFs daily to/from work, but the dac/amp stuff is on a rack under my desk and stays there 24/7. Hopefully you'll find a similar situation. But the great thing is there's excellent portable stuff that's easy to transport daily and still sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back