Unreal estate sale purchase today - need some info Beyerdynamic ET1000
Jun 17, 2023 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

austindude

New Head-Fier
Hi there, this is my first post here and I think I've come to the right place.

Today, I went to an estate sale because it was close to another estate sale that I planned on going to. At this second estate sale, they had all kinds of music equipment and stereo stuff. I didn't know much about a lot of it, but I started digging in a couple of everything $1 bins and came across a pair of headphones that I had never heard of before.

Beyerdynamic.

I quickly did a search online and on eBay and couldn't really find much about them. But at $1 I thought I'd grab the pair.

But WAIT... it was 50% off day, so they were only 50 cents.

When I got home I started doing more research and wow, these DO appear to be very rare.

The headphones I got are the Beyerdynamic Electrostatic ET1000. They appear to be in good condition but I have no way of testing them.

Upon doing research at home I see that sometimes there is another piece, called The Beyerdynamic N1000 that goes with this headphone set. I'm going BACK to that estate sale tomorrow (75% off day) to see if I can find that piece or any other pieces of equipment that might go with it.

So, how rare are these things? I don't see any listed on eBay or anywhere else for sale right now! Thank you!

IMG-5376-1.jpg
IMG-5375-1.jpg

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 6
These are extremely rare! Very nice find!
The only electrostatic headphones Beyerdynamic ever made.
You'll need the dedicated energizer for them, since electrostatic headphones need a bias voltage to work properly.

Here's a video on them: , the guy is really knowledgeable about vintage headphones. And you can find some reddit posts about them as well, but reddit is unusable currently.

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Jun 18, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. I went back by first thing this morning and looked everywhere. Unfortunately I didn't find the N1000 power supply. I may have to search online to see if I can find one.

Well, there goes the cheaper way. Unless you can find another N1000 power supply, is be prepared to spend more to power the ET1000. The ET1000 looks to be closed-back and finding a closed-back Stax or other electrostatic is rare and very likely expensive, so it may be worthwhile to find a new amp for the ET1000. I did find this thread with someone asking about possibly making a DIY adapter:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy...comments-thread.676402/page-596#post-15005306

So I searched for an pre-made adapter and Mjolnir Audio makes an adapter for $75, so shoot them an e-mail to see if the ET1000 will properly work with this amplifier, while using their adapter in-between:

https://mjolnir-audio.com/special-projects-and-used-amplifiers-sources-etc/

https://amp.apos.audio/products/topping-eha5-electrostatic-amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back