Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,838 of 3,931

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. 

Well, I suppose I'll go for the tf10 and upgrade once I see fit.

Everyone has to start somewhere and I feel that the tf10 will serve my purpose beautifully. 

The miracles sound very intriguing, largely in courtesy to your "neutralish" tone. 
tongue_smile.gif

If I ever decide to upgrade by remolding, I'll try to console myself by thinking of the very nature from which your opinion is based.

If that fails, which it probably will, you'll be hearing of me very soon. 
beerchug.gif

If it helps you at all, I started with the TF10's and then thought to have them remoulded also. But in the end went with the Miracle. I've never heard the TF10x4, TF10x6 or TF10x8. But the miracle was in almost ever way the perfect Custom for me. And I use it every day. I really do love it. But for songs that I like to have a large amount of bass (almost basshead like levels) I didn't feel the miracle filled the gap here. So I've got a set of Merlin's on the way. These are very similiar to the Miracle in Mid and High's. But with a Dynamic bass driver to really give earth shattering bass... While I imagine I'll still listen to the Miracle 80% of the time. The 20% of the time I spend with the Merlin's will be fun
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2,839 of 3,931
Sorry if you think this is in the wrong area - I did post in the amp section, but received no reply.  

What amps would you suggest to get rid of the hiss when using IEM's.  I have Shure SE530's remolded with an extra driver.  When using with my MacBook the hissing is terrible and with my Arcam Alpha 8 (for CD's and vinyl) still not great.  My budget is very limited - and would I need a different type for both Mac and Hi fi?  Sorry my knowledge about headphone amps is almost zero. 

Thanks......

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2,840 of 3,931
Mine broke! sockets in these are not very good. cable was constantly falling out and at the end cable just broke inside the socket... Who do I email?

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2,842 of 3,931

i think those type of socket would go with Westone ES8 cable or the latest UE custom cable (with angled tip)
Quote:
Has anyone else received a TF10 reshell with these ugly ass sockets? I specifically asked for recessed sockets and they did they complete OPPOSITE. They look like Kozee sockets... yuck. Does anyone know if they'll remold to change the sockets? I know... I'm compulsive, but I've heard of people getting remolds because there were bubbles in the shells.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #2,843 of 3,931

Quote:
Mine broke! sockets in these are not very good. cable was constantly falling out and at the end cable just broke inside the socket... Who do I email?

That's no good mate! You should email the company you got them through and they will be able to organize a repair for you. Are they under 1 year old? Or 2 years for the merlins or miracles? 

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #2,844 of 3,931
Under one year. I will email them asap.
Thank you

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,845 of 3,931
Hi all, I've been a recent lurker here and recently received my UM SE530x8 (last Friday actually) done courtesy of Custom-IEM/UM.

Fitting
The left clips in like a key. Perfect. But the left I'm having some isolation leaks and hurts my ear for extended use. Custom-IEM mentioned they could thicken the acrylic shell to seal the leak but I may get the audiologist to recheck and make another impression of my right side just in case.

Audio Quality
[Aside]I'm an enthusiast but not a pro. I may not know all the lingo. I've owned Shures E5c, 500, 530PTH and UE TF10s. Home system is Accuphase E-407 and B&W N804s.

My personal tastes usually are for more detail than sounding "musical". I preferred the TF10s over any of the Shures. But my SE530PTH cables broke first and was naturally was also the first candidate for custom IEM. Not wanting to muck around, I went straight for the x8 upgrade.

When I first got my SE530x8 I did pick up somewhat more detail than the TF10's however mids still sounded a little muddy (apologies for the non-technical jargon). Over the next 3 days I burned them in on my iMac having iTunes play something 24x3. Oh yes cables are Beat Audio iPhone cables.

I noticed as I changed my source the sound improved somewhat but marginally - iMac < iPhone < iPad being the best of the 3. The burn in IMHO improved the soundstage more than the detail (although slightly less muddy than the 1st day).

The surprise was just a few mins ago plugging the SE530x8 to my Accuphase E-407s with Dave Brubeck's Time Out SACD on the PS3 as a source (yeah sorry about the PS3) but EVERYTHING came out so crystal clear!! So much detail, great soundstage!

I'm thinking that the only way to get the best out of my SE530x8 is via an amp. Tomorrow I'm borrowing my Fostex HP-P1.

I'm still going to get the fit check done and send back the right side if need be but overall, I'm happy with my UM SE530x8 upgrade.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,846 of 3,931
Hi all, I've been a recent lurker here and recently received my UM SE530x8 (last Friday actually) done courtesy of Custom-IEM/UM.

Fitting
The left clips in like a key. Perfect. But the left I'm having some isolation leaks and hurts my ear for extended use. Custom-IEM mentioned they could thicken the acrylic shell to seal the leak but I may get the audiologist to recheck and make another impression of my right side just in case.

Audio Quality
[Aside]I'm an enthusiast but not a pro. I may not know all the lingo. I've owned Shures E5c, 500, 530PTH and UE TF10s. Home system is Accuphase E-407 and B&W N804s.

My personal tastes usually are for more detail than sounding "musical". I preferred the TF10s over any of the Shures. But my SE530PTH cables broke first and was naturally was also the first candidate for custom IEM. Not wanting to muck around, I went straight for the x8 upgrade.

When I first got my SE530x8 I did pick up somewhat more detail than the TF10's however mids still sounded a little muddy (apologies for the non-technical jargon). Over the next 3 days I burned them in on my iMac having iTunes play something 24x3. Oh yes cables are Beat Audio iPhone cables.

I noticed as I changed my source the sound improved somewhat but marginally - iMac < iPhone < iPad being the best of the 3. The burn in IMHO improved the soundstage more than the detail (although slightly less muddy than the 1st day).

The surprise was just a few mins ago plugging the SE530x8 to my Accuphase E-407s with Dave Brubeck's Time Out SACD on the PS3 as a source (yeah sorry about the PS3) but EVERYTHING came out so crystal clear!! So much detail, great soundstage!

I'm thinking that the only way to get the best out of my SE530x8 is via an amp. Tomorrow I'm borrowing my Fostex HP-P1.

I'm still going to get the fit check done and send back the right side if need be but overall, I'm happy with my UM SE530x8 upgrade.

what exactly are the drivers, how many bores and what driver config/what xovers (lows/mids/highs?)?
...and the FR chart :D ...

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2,847 of 3,931

Quote:
what exactly are the drivers, how many bores and what driver config/what xovers (lows/mids/highs?)?
...and the FR chart
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I really don't know - I'm much more of just a 'common' user than someone who gets into the specs of it all. All I know from the custom-iem site is :-

"se530 add dual low, dual high, dual super high: 4way crossover, dual low, dual mid, dual high, dual super high"

And from someone else on the thread who's done the same last year, their configuration was this (http://www.head-fi.org/t/443197/unique-melody-remold-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/1455#post_6514173). I assume mine is the same.

By FR chart, I guess you mean this? Sorry I'm still learning the terminology :-

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,848 of 3,931

Quote:
To be honest, I really don't know - I'm much more of just a 'common' user than someone who gets into the specs of it all. All I know from the custom-iem site is :-

"se530 add dual low, dual high, dual super high: 4way crossover, dual low, dual mid, dual high, dual super high"

And from someone else on the thread who's done the same last year, their configuration was this (http://www.head-fi.org/t/443197/unique-melody-remold-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/1455#post_6514173). I assume mine is the same.

By FR chart, I guess you mean this? Sorry I'm still learning the terminology :-

Graph reminds me of Rooth LS8

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2,849 of 3,931
Why is there a peak at 3khz for everything that comes out of UM? I know that there's a difference between open and sealed canals in resonance, but it seems like there's a consistent measurement difference.

I really should have spent more time at the UM table in the melb meet.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #2,850 of 3,931
Why is there a peak at 3khz for everything that comes out of UM? I know that there's a difference between open and sealed canals in resonance, but it seems like there's a consistent measurement difference.

I really should have spent more time at the UM table in the melb meet.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/14/14582d27_DSC_0001.jpg ehh, looks not that dissimilar to miracles. It's more of a 1-3k bump, just slightly differently 'tailed' for the SE530x8.
probs their signature sound for high end IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back