Unique Melody Mason- new 12 driver flagship
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 124
What specifically are you looking for comparisons on? I don't really have very many IEMs left in my stable anymore!

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 124
What specifically are you looking for comparisons on? I don't really have very many IEMs left in my stable anymore!

Well, anything you say about it wil be great. This is a rare item even here at headfi  
etysmile.gif
. If you don't have anything to compare, its fine, just use your sound memory. As far as I can tell its a warm IEM with great detail but I'm interested in the bass because some have said its not that extended.

Actually, I have UM Maverick. Liked it so much (despite some quirks) that became interested in Mason. Maverick has a sig similar to 1plus2 with better fit and slightly less bass but more detailed and big soundstage. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 124
  Well, anything you say about it wil be great. This is a rare item even here at headfi  
etysmile.gif
. If you don't have anything to compare, its fine, just use your sound memory. As far as I can tell its a warm IEM with great detail but I'm interested in the bass because some have said its not that extended.

Actually, I have UM Maverick. Liked it so much (despite some quirks) that became interested in Mason. Maverick has a sig similar to 1plus2 with better fit and slightly less bass but more detailed and big soundstage. 

Sure no problem. I actually bought the Maverick too, in order to come to a decision on one to keep. Right out of the box (and I made the mistake of listening to the Mason for an extended bit first today before trying out the Maverick) I like the Mason significantly better than the Maverick. Which is funny because I decided at the last minute to get it too just in case, fully expecting to like the Maverick better with its dynamic driver bass. Turns out I find the bass of the Mason just about the equal of the Maverick.... and a touch more controlled being BA drivers. I don't want to go too much in depth on the dynamic driver one because I think it'll settle in some and open up hopefully. 

The other IEM on a similar level I have is the Noble K10u. Over the upcoming week or so I'll do some listening/note taking, and will update with more in depth impressions. Other than what I've said here so far I'd like to wait until later before doing more impressions. I most definitely will be updating things here though... so I'll be around!

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #35 of 124
Unfortunately I can't answer that as I don't listen to, and am not familiar with jpop.... Sorry! 

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 124
As the owner of a UM Mentor this thread is very interesting. I almost went for the Maverick and backed off at the last moment. I am interested in how the Mason compares with the Mentor. My understanding is that the Mentor is still their flagship product for the world market. Manson is tuned specifically for Japan. Exactly what "tuned for Japan"   means is anyone's guess.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 124
  As the owner of a UM Mentor this thread is very interesting. I almost went for the Maverick and backed off at the last moment. I am interested in how the Mason compares with the Mentor. My understanding is that the Mentor is still their flagship product for the world market. Manson is tuned specifically for Japan. Exactly what "tuned for Japan"   means is anyone's guess.

Any particular reason for the last minute decision on Maverick?

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #40 of 124
  Any particular reason for the last minute decision on Maverick?

To be honest, on the day I was going to commit to buy from a source in Japan the Baht took a dump (you have to consider my location). I decided to be more patient and reserve my expense until I had more information about the Mason. I am very happy with the Mentor and I have other iem's so I was not in a panic to do this. My main interest in the Maverick was adding a TOTL iem with a dynamic/b/a driver set. I may yet but I am just being more cautious.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #41 of 124
  To be honest, on the day I was going to commit to buy from a source in Japan the Baht took a dump (you have to consider my location). I decided to be more patient and reserve my expense until I had more information about the Mason. I am very happy with the Mentor and I have other iem's so I was not in a panic to do this. My main interest in the Maverick was adding a TOTL iem with a dynamic/b/a driver set. I may yet but I am just being more cautious.

Thanks for explaining, I'm interested in dynamic/b/a driver set too but would like to hear more comparison on Mason first.

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #43 of 124
Well, after some time with Maverick what I found is an extremely detailed (3D like), big soundstage, very well built, precise fit. Its so detailed and natural that when I changed to a warmer iem I found it muddy and almost unlistenable. It was a shocking surprise because I really like warmer iems and this particular one is, believe me, Roxanne. This proves to me that our ears adjust to the sound signature to an extent. The not so good part is its lacking some subbass punch even if I would say the overall sig is very well balanced....

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #44 of 124
Well, after some time with Maverick what I found is an extremely detailed (3D like), big soundstage, very well built, precise fit. Its so detailed and natural that when I changed to a warmer iem I found it muddy and almost unlistenable. It was a shocking surprise because I really like warmer iems and this particular one is, believe me, Roxanne. This proves to me that our ears adjust to the sound signature to an extent. The not so good part is its lacking some subbass punch even if I would say the overall sig is very well balanced....

You surprise me. Since it has a dynamic driver and a b/a dedicated to the bass I would of thought that would be it's best feature.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #45 of 124
  You surprise me. Since it has a dynamic driver and a b/a dedicated to the bass I would of thought that would be it's best feature.

For me its not and I guess most who own it may not agree. What I can add is it has good mid bass and is very sensitive to bad recordings to the point it can sound cheap if you have a poor source and bad quality mp3. But really shines with hires stuff; also, I found it responds very well to amping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back