Unique Melody Mason- new 12 driver flagship
Apr 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #16 of 124
  Sounds from your description like the Maverick would be a bass monster. So what is the retail on the Maverick? I'm guessing it is a universal?

You can see the street prices on that kakaku.com link above : the Mav 136,000 yen, which is $1145usd, compared to the $879 on the Merlin page.  

And yes, the Maverick is a universal.  The merlin is available here as a custom.  . . .  

It didn`t strike me as a bass monster.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 124

You can see the street prices on that kakaku.com link above : the Mav 136,000 yen, which is $1145usd, compared to the $879 on the Merlin page.  

And yes, the Maverick is a universal.  The merlin is available here as a custom.  . . .  

It didn`t strike me as a bass monster.  

Would be cool if you can get to demo the Merlins so we can get a comparison, even though most of us won't be able to purchase the Maverick anyway.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #18 of 124

Would be cool if you can get to demo the Merlins so we can get a comparison, even though most of us won't be able to purchase the Maverick anyway.

I purchased the Maverick yesterday, and have had two long listening sessions, including taking it out all day around Tokyo today.  I think, after I can`t count how many IEMs I have gone through, I`ve finally found a keeper, T H E  O N E .  

And I believe I can demo the Merlin for a comparison : one of the CIEM shops here has universal versions of several CIEMs for potential customers to try. I know they sell the custom Merlin so hopefully they`ll have a universal version I can try.  

I`ve got the Maverick fitted out with Spinfits and my next step is a 2.5trrs balanced cable - the Linum doesn`t fit, thankfully, because it`s crazy expensive and I really want to buy it.  Can anyone recommend a nice 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable, prefereably with an L-plug?   

I`ve never heard such a 3D soundscape before - the imaging is seriously impressive and immersive.  The bass is right on for me : all of the detail of these TOTL multi-BAs, but with the physicality of the dynamic driver.  It`s super tight, textured, deep and rich, like thick, fudgy chocolate icing on the cake.  

The Maverick is 51 Ohms.  Anyone more knowledgable than me care to comment on that?  Chodi?  I`ve never encountered an IEM with that high an impedance.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 124

The Maverick is 51 Ohms.  Anyone more knowledgable than me care to comment on that?  Chodi?  I`ve never encountered an IEM with that high an impedance.  

That 51 ohms is because of the dynamic driver. It should make that iem easier to drive properly with a variety of sources/amps/daps. It is still what would be called highly sensitive as would anything under 100 ohms. At 51 ohms it would also be easier to match up so that it keeps the frequency response where it's supposed to be. Should make a better match with devices that have an output higher than 1 ohm (like the Pono). It would still be a great match with devices that have 1 ohm or less output.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 124

I purchased the Maverick yesterday, and have had two long listening sessions, including taking it out all day around Tokyo today.  I think, after I can`t count how many IEMs I have gone through, I`ve finally found a keeper, T H E  O N E .  

And I believe I can demo the Merlin for a comparison : one of the CIEM shops here has universal versions of several CIEMs for potential customers to try. I know they sell the custom Merlin so hopefully they`ll have a universal version I can try.  

I`ve got the Maverick fitted out with Spinfits and my next step is a 2.5trrs balanced cable - the Linum doesn`t fit, thankfully, because it`s crazy expensive and I really want to buy it.  Can anyone recommend a nice 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable, prefereably with an L-plug?   

I`ve never heard such a 3D soundscape before - the imaging is seriously impressive and immersive.  The bass is right on for me : all of the detail of these TOTL multi-BAs, but with the physicality of the dynamic driver.  It`s super tight, textured, deep and rich, like thick, fudgy chocolate icing on the cake.  

Would be appreciated :)

I understand that UM didn't actually tune the Maverick? It was some Japanese sound guru?

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 124

Would be appreciated :)

I understand that UM didn't actually tune the Maverick? It was some Japanese sound guru?

That sounds like a bit of marketing don't you think? UM has gone overboard to try and produce models that are perceived as created for the specific market. I believe they are selling the Legacy in Singapore with the same type of marketing (it is the 12 driver version but with what tuning?). It would seem that someone got hold of them and told them they could increase sales by having market specific models. 

It is not that unusual for companies to produce Japanese specific models. It is a proven technique. Often it is just a color change or something minor. In this case who knows. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #22 of 124
Maybe it was the Maestro I was thinking about?

Anyway there were posts from members like : 

I believe the tuning of the Mason and the Maverick is the result of a collaboration between Unique Melody and the japanese company Mix Wave for the japanese market.

I know that it's all marketing and it makes UM look quite desperate or unconfident, but hey business is business. It's just that if the Maverick was really tuned by someone other than UM then it's really just the hardware they are providing, and not their "vision" of sound. That's why I am interested because even though Merlin and Maverick have a very similar setup, they could sound radically different.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #23 of 124
  Maybe it was the Maestro I was thinking about?

Anyway there were posts from members like : 

I believe the tuning of the Mason and the Maverick is the result of a collaboration between Unique Melody and the japanese company Mix Wave for the japanese market.

I know that it's all marketing and it makes UM look quite desperate or unconfident, but hey business is business. It's just that if the Maverick was really tuned by someone other than UM then it's really just the hardware they are providing, and not their "vision" of sound. That's why I am interested because even though Merlin and Maverick have a very similar setup, they could sound radically different.

I expect they do sound different as the drivers are not being used in the same way. The only thing I have to go on is David's personal experience with the Maverick. He is a very experience audiophile and I trust his comments. He is also in Japan. He bought it and that gives me confidence. 

UM has never had a coherent marketing strategy. They have consistently turned out good sounding products. They fit the profile of a Chinese company with no Western marketing manager. I don't think they sound desperate just misguided. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #24 of 124
It's usually the bigger companies like Sennheiser and Shure that release a product and then a lot of time passes and after heavy R&D they release a new one. 

Meanwhile many of the smaller CIEM companies add 2 extra BAs, call it the new flagship and slap another $500 on it. Although now the that the shells are starting to get too small for more drivers, they will have to start taking other directions.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 124
  It's usually the bigger companies like Sennheiser and Shure that release a product and then a lot of time passes and after heavy R&D they release a new one. 

Meanwhile many of the smaller CIEM companies add 2 extra BAs, call it the new flagship and slap another $500 on it. Although now the that the shells are starting to get too small for more drivers, they will have to start taking other directions.

Some companies are already taking that step they see the writing on the wall and know that adding drivers is at it's limit. 1964 may be leading the way with the Adel technology. I'm not saying it is a breakthough I really haven't heard it but I commend them for trying to innovate having reached the limit on drivers.  I think we will see more companies experimenting with new technology. Exciting times.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 124
  Some companies are already taking that step they see the writing on the wall and know that adding drivers is at it's limit. 1964 may be leading the way with the Adel technology. I'm not saying it is a breakthough I really haven't heard it but I commend them for trying to innovate having reached the limit on drivers.  I think we will see more companies experimenting with new technology. Exciting times.

Exciting indeed. The A12 has been getting great feedback. Hopefully it will also prevent hearing loss.

May 1, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #27 of 124
It's interesting they are only selling Mason as universal in Japan, as I was interested in comparing Mason and Legacy when I get a chance. Many people say they are probably the same just with different naming for marketing purposes but AFAIK they have different driver setup (3-way vs 4-way).

Legacy is one of my top 5 (probably top 3 but I want to be conservative), if I need to find a comparison I would say its sound signature is similar to K10, but sounds better (more airy and musical, soundstage is arorund the same). I A-B tested it with JH24 which is also 12BA and JH24 simply sounds harsh and messy, although has more energy and dynamics. I have to admit I was never a fan of JH sound though. the mid and highs of Legacy is truly among the best I've ever heard (relatively warm and thick, with great extension and very good sibilance control) and the transition is smooth.

I wonder if anyone who owns Mason has similar or different impression?

May 1, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 124
  It's interesting they are only selling Mason as universal in Japan, as I was interested in comparing Mason and Legacy when I get a chance. Many people say they are probably the same just with different naming for marketing purposes but AFAIK they have different driver setup (3-way vs 4-way).

Legacy is one of my top 5 (probably top 3 but I want to be conservative), if I need to find a comparison I would say its sound signature is similar to K10, but sounds better (more airy and musical, soundstage is arorund the same). I A-B tested it with JH24 which is also 12BA and JH24 simply sounds harsh and messy, although has more energy and dynamics. I have to admit I was never a fan of JH sound though. the mid and highs of Legacy is truly among the best I've ever heard (relatively warm and thick, with great extension and very good sibilance control) and the transition is smooth.

I wonder if anyone who owns Mason has similar or different impression?

If you believe what is written in the Japanese forums the Mason and the Maverick were tuned specifically for their market with the help of their local distributor. The Legacy was created for Stereo their distributor in Singapore and tuned with their help. Then on top of that, UM has what they are calling International models that are sold in the rest of the World and also direct from the factory. The "Special " models for local markets are only available to  those markets. Very unusual marketing. I am guessing their distributors in Singapore and Japan made large commitments for their custom models. It will help to hold the price in those custom markets for their distributors and make their customers feel special as there is probably little trans shipping. To get a comparison between these models will be very difficult.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 124
OMG, the Mason, straight out of the box!! Unreal. 

*Initial thoughts, take with grain of salt*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back