Unique Melody IEM discussion thread(MEST, MEXT, Mentor, Mason, etc.)
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 111
I sugru modded a pair of azla crystal tips.
Best experience in iems ever.
intrigued- how exactly did you use Sugru to mod tips? Seems to be a moldable putty that hardens and yet remains flexible and ‘stuck’ to whatever it’s touching after 30 min. Did you wrap around the tips on the IEM and put in your ears? 😱

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 111
intrigued- how exactly did you use Sugru to mod tips? Seems to be a moldable putty that hardens and yet remains flexible and ‘stuck’ to whatever it’s touching after 30 min. Did you wrap around the tips on the IEM and put in your ears?
You put it between the stem and wing so it forms to your ear shape while it's the silicone tip that touches your ears. It looks and feels like a ciem.

See this tutorial https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 111
You put it between the stem and wing so it forms to your ear shape while it's the silicone tip that touches your ears. It looks and feels like a ciem.

See this tutorial https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap
Got it- if I understand correctly this is a permanent mod to the IEM as the Sugru will adhere to it and the silicone tip after it dries?

Here is another DIY alternative, I am about to give it a go this weekend and will report back here after

The real question is : how does it alter the SQ of the IEM?

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 111
It's not permanent, you can easily and safely remove the modded tips.
For me it feels more like a custom moulded iem now. Very good isolation and that bass ... Sjees. Overall it makes the mest ii feel very special and almost impossible to beat.

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #21 of 111
Happy Day Today :relaxed: :
I had a chance to listen to the Multiverse Mentor briefly. Despite the short time and a VERY superficial comparison to my trusted EE Custom ODIN, I could not withstand and ordered the Custom version.
OK: I frankly admit I’m a great admirer of Oscar Wilde: “I can resist anything except temptation…” :sunglasses:

Please excuse me that I’m refraining from making any kind of comparative comments here:
Both the ODIN & the MENTOR are excellent IEMs in their own right and each with different merits. Any further evaluation would not be very helpful of course, especially also , as the MENTOR was the Universal version and the ODIN was a custom with an excellent fit - and I always have endless problems with finding the correct ear tips….:slight_frown:

Regards
Urs

PS:
Firstly I strongly support the opinion, that the Custom is the best form for any IEM
and secondly: Call this same sort of “audiophile self-castigation”
(Having the CUSTOM prevents you from selling the MENTOR – or the ODIN – again after a short while . .. :beerchug:)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 111
Got it- if I understand correctly this is a permanent mod to the IEM as the Sugru will adhere to it and the silicone tip after it dries?

Here is another DIY alternative, I am about to give it a go this weekend and will report back here after

The real question is : how does it alter the SQ of the IEM?

Coming back to report in. THIS DID NOT GO WELL. Admittedly I did not follow the directions. Or the implied directions. I did not like how the putty was sitting in my ear so immediately pulled it out to reinsert it. THIS YOU MUST NOT DO. The tail of the putty -about an inch of it— was left deep inside the canal, and despite my and my wife’s attempts to remove it, we could not. I was required to seek the help of an otolaryngologist, who removed it medically. Over the weekend I just had to live with it obstructing my ear canal and eliminating my hearing on that side (thank heaven I aborted the procedure before inserting on the other side). What the YT presenter did not say is that once the putty is inserted you MUST leave the whole block in place for 10 min and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to remove or even pull it out a bit to reseat it. Doing so risks finding yourself in the mess I found myself in — BE WARNED.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 111
Happy Day Today :relaxed: :
I had a chance to listen to the Multiverse Mentor briefly. Despite the short time and a VERY superficial comparison to my trusted EE Custom ODIN, I could not withstand and ordered the Custom version.
OK: I frankly admit I’m a great admirer of Oscar Wilde: “I can resist anything except temptation…” :sunglasses:

Please excuse me that I’m refraining from making any kind of comparative comments here:
Both the ODIN & the MENTOR are excellent IEMs in their own right and each with different merits. Any further evaluation would not be very helpful of course, especially also , as the MENTOR was the Universal version and the ODIN was a custom with an excellent fit - and I always have endless problems with finding the correct ear tips….:slight_frown:

Regards
Urs

PS:
Firstly I strongly support the opinion, that the Custom is the best form for any IEM
and secondly: Call this same sort of “audiophile self-castigation”
(Having the CUSTOM prevents you from selling the MENTOR – or the ODIN – again after a short while . .. :beerchug:)
Congrats! I am also very interested in the Multiverse Mentor and would like to order it custom. However, how long is the approximate wait time though? Also what color did you order them in. Please let me know, thanks!

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #24 of 111
Hey there,

Happy to join this thread as I am quite into the UM brand, owning a good chunk of their iems at the moment :beyersmile:.
And I also can recommend them (Musicteck included) for their customer support, responsive and always helpfull from my experience.

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #25 of 111
WilliamLiu,
I'll get this beautiful Galaxy Blue version - AFAIK it's one of the "Standard Color Mixes"
"ETA" / Waiting Time as stated by my Swiss Importer could be 4- 8 weeks

Regards
Urs
1697013354596.jpeg

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #26 of 111
Guys, please be noted: we found fake UM products in China.

All UM IEMs are using the exclusive and patented drivers. The counterfeits may uses the poorly made $1-2's BAs, DDs and BCDs.
I have showed a few audiophiles how to distinguish UM's BCDs with other BCDs. UM's house exclusive BCDs are always sitting right behind the faceplates(exclude MEXT), and it is significantly bigger than most drivers on the market. NO OTHER manufacturers have this full-range BCD.
You clearly can't see this driver in this picture.

Be aware and only buy from the authorized dealers! Screenshot_20231014_105731.jpg

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #27 of 111
This is an important issue for UM IEM users of the chunkier IEMs- for 3DT users for sure. The orange foam Symbio F tips are indeed pretty stiff until they are very well worn in, they do eventually soften to the point where they are more comfortable, but if these Zeos tips are softer they may work better right out of the box.

It is frustrating though that we have to struggle so to find the perfect match for our ears, which is not the same for different IEMs. The SQ can highly vary with different tips. When one finds the right match it can be transformative. The 3DTs need a good fit or the reputed upper mid shouty SQ and loss of bass impact results - with a good fit it is golden and well balanced (to me YMMV).
Yea, I'm referring to the Symbios. The Zeos are basically the same thing but actually works because of the very soft foam. They block out everything, but I don't use them much as they are still tight in the ears for me.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #28 of 111
Yea, I'm referring to the Symbios. The Zeos are basically the same thing but actually works because of the very soft foam. They block out everything, but I don't use them much as they are still tight in the ears for me.
The newer symbio W are much softer and malleable then the originals. I have them.

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #30 of 111
Thomas,
Congrats ! :beerchug:

I’m eagerly awaiting your own assessment.
(It better be good :wink: For me, there is no way back: My Custom MM is ordered !!) :sunglasses:

Regards
Urs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back