Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 377
We are way pass the “collectible” appeal in this hobby. Just a handful of people hold their gear for a couple years, even less people for more than that. I agree it’s about the bragging and Elite feeling. And… the companies are loving that and (of course) surfing the wave.

Who to blame here? Us. For sure.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #32 of 377
Yep. The used price for mason FS will probably drop even further. Right now you can get a new mason FS with stock atilla and First times cable for $5.5k. if you take out the $2.5k first time cable, FS actually retail for $3k. If you can get a used FS for $2-2.5k. it will be a great deal.

I never expected my Mason FS SE to appreciate in value from its 6K retail, but I certainly didn’t expect such a devaluation after being on the market for only 9 months. 😩

We are way pass the “collectible” appeal in this hobby. Just a handful of people hold their gear for a couple years, even less people for more than that. I agree it’s about the bragging and Elite feeling. And… the companies are loving that and (of course) surfing the wave.

Who to blame here? Us. For sure.

I’m one of those who plans on holding onto my collection indefinitely since each one possesses its own unique attribute. Live and learn!

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #34 of 377
Its getting like the Rolex bubble, releasing new watches that people cant actually but from their official dealers or cant afford anyway

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #35 of 377
I’m one of those who plans on holding onto my collection indefinitely since each one possesses its own unique attribute. Live and learn!
😅

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #36 of 377
Yep. The used price for mason FS will probably drop even further. Right now you can get a new mason FS with stock atilla and First times cable for $5.5k. if you take out the $2.5k first time cable, FS actually retail for $3k. If you can get a used FS for $2-2.5k. it will be a great deal.
I got nailed by purchasing a UM MEST OG right before they release mkii and I took a 25% hit to its value over night. I bought Indigo new, but I am fine with that purchase since I like it so much. But, they can forget me purchasing any of these new higher end products that are going to depreciate $2000 or more. Much better to wait for the resales on the Classifieds. Also, getting cheap cables is via this route, too.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 377
That's what they all say. Next thing you know when something comes out and you gotta have it your collection will be in the classifieds. Happen to me quite a few times. 🤣🤣

I am resisting that temptation. My collection of 9 flagships was purchased during the pandemic as a means to find some happiness during a depressing time (yeah, I know, excessive, but that’s what it took for me to find some happiness while shuttering in for so long). I’m quite happy with how this collection turned out, so I’ve been thinking about calling it quits and enjoying what I have. We’ll see … ✌️

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #38 of 377
I got nailed by purchasing a UM MEST OG right before they release mkii and I took a 25% hit to its value over night. I bought Indigo new, but I am fine with that purchase since I like it so much. But, they can forget me purchasing any of these new higher end products that are going to depreciate $2000 or more. Much better to wait for the resales on the Classifieds. Also, getting cheap cables is via this route, too.
Wow 25% overnight!. This is a brutal hobby.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #39 of 377
What shocks me about these prices is that a lot of the internal parts of IEMs (drivers, wiring, tubing, damping) are just off-the-shelf parts. Yes, there is a lot of challenge in getting the right combination together and achieving the sound, but the actual components are completely purchasable. I doubt that these "brand new" bone conduction drivers were actually manufactured by Unique Melody in house, but rather it's just another SKU somewhere from the company that made the other bone conduction drivers for them. It's baffling that they add on another $2000 to an already ludicrously priced IEM for what's all intents and purposes a minor revision. This scummy business practice should not be rewarded.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #40 of 377
I am resisting that temptation. My collection of 9 flagships was purchased during the pandemic as a means to find some happiness during a depressing time (yeah, I know, excessive, but that’s what it took for me to find some happiness while shuttering in for so long). I’m quite happy with how this collection turned out, so I’ve been thinking about calling it quits and enjoying what I have. We’ll see … ✌️

Not excessive at all imo. I did the same thing. As soon as we were told about lockdown I panic bought an A18s because it was new, 64 had my impressions, and I wanted something to keep me occupied I guess. I ended up buying an Erlkonig during that time too even though I had demo’d it and found it “boring”, thankfully I grew to love it. I feel like a lot of people were turning to their audio hobby during those times to help take the edge off.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #41 of 377
Not excessive at all imo. I did the same thing. As soon as we were told about lockdown I panic bought an A18s because it was new, 64 had my impressions, and I wanted something to keep me occupied I guess. I ended up buying an Erlkonig during that time too even though I had demo’d it and found it “boring”, thankfully I grew to love it. I feel like a lot of people were turning to their audio hobby during those times to help take the edge off.

Agreed. 👍

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #42 of 377
How about just hold off and buy American?

Because US products:
  1. Are also expensive.
  2. Have a price to performance ratio that is usually worse.
  3. IMO they sound worse for the same price.
This only applies to American vs. Chinese. But for these particular product, I'm sure we can wait a year and they will release a better product for cheaper just like they did with the Indigo and the MEXT.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #43 of 377
Is it true that both model limited to 20 world wide? From business perspective i think it's not feasible to only produce small qty brand new driver :upside_down::upside_down:

Another thing, UM mention eartips AZLA, case Dignis, why i have seen no where mentioned PW Audio (if they are indeed supply the cable) to give them fair credit??

um-1.jpg

um-2.jpg

https://weibo.com/6331071027/LbBZG2rQ9
https://weibo.com/6331071027/LbC5mzJAe

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #44 of 377
Is it true that both model limited to 20 world wide? From business perspective i think it's not feasible to only produce small qty brand new driver

Artificial scarcity. It makes the item feel 'exclusive' and 'limited' so that people will use that to justify the ludicrous price. Luxury brands do this type of stuff all the time. Main difference is that luxury bags/clothing/watches don't go on sale for 50% in a few months after release, nor do they become outdated so quickly.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #45 of 377
Artificial scarcity. It makes the item feel 'exclusive' and 'limited' so that people will use that to justify the ludicrous price. Luxury brands do this type of stuff all the time. Main difference is that luxury bags/clothing/watches don't go on sale for 50% in a few months after release, nor do they become outdated so quickly.
You hit the nail on the head my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back