Ultrasone PRO900
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #527 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's some (relatively) positive response.... I just laid my order for the 900. I was considering the Stax before, but as I go on long term travel from time to time the 900 with a portable headamp seem more convenient. Thank you, keep us posted.

Hey there, my PRO 900 isn't fully burned in yet but a lot seems to have changed (or, you know, it's just mental burn in - who knows?). It doesn't sound anything like the PRO 2500 (anymore) either. As with all headphones in Ultrasones PRO series they shine on good recordings, for me, so far the PRO 900 shines on good recorded acoustic music but also on good recorded world music, classical music and some (progressive) rock. They have a big open soundstage, almost like it's an open headphone. As with all Ultrasone headphones (cause of how the drivers are positioned) it either makes you feel the music is outside or around your head or it's being played in a very detailed room. Sure, Ultrasone promotes it as 3D surround sound, which is ofcourse marketing bullcrap. What it is, infact, is just "more stereo" than other headphones. The PRO 900 shines at this (but it's not as accurate as the Edition 9 or as balanced over the frequency spectrum). Now in the beginning I had trouble with the bass, but it has since calmed down and became more under control...man it does show great detail in the bass. If a plane flew over while the track you're listening to was recorded, chances are you're going to hear it on the PRO 900 (or doors being slammed etc.) in the lowest of the bass. This is a very unique headphone.

However the Edition 9 remains my favorite headphone.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #528 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there, my PRO 900 isn't fully burned in yet but a lot seems to have changed (or, you know, it's just mental burn in - who knows?). It doesn't sound anything like the PRO 2500 (anymore) either. As with all headphones in Ultrasones PRO series they shine on good recordings, for me, so far the PRO 900 shines on good recorded acoustic music but also on good recorded world music, classical music and some (progressive) rock. They have a big open soundstage, almost like it's an open headphone. As with all Ultrasone headphones (cause of how the drivers are positioned) it either makes you feel the music is outside or around your head or it's being played in a very detailed room. Sure, Ultrasone promotes it as 3D surround sound, which is ofcourse marketing bullcrap. What it is, infact, is just "more stereo" than other headphones. The PRO 900 shines at this (but it's not as accurate as the Edition 9 or as balanced over the frequency spectrum). Now in the beginning I had trouble with the bass, but it has since calmed down and became more under control...man it does show great detail in the bass. If a plane flew over while the track you're listening to was recorded, chances are you're going to hear it on the PRO 900 (or doors being slammed etc.) in the lowest of the bass. This is a very unique headphone.

However the Edition 9 remains my favorite headphone.

thanks for the comparison. although i'm still unclear whether you prefer the edition 9's bass or the pro900. which one is better? does the pro900 go deeper without rolloff? is the bass more detailed?

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #529 of 924
Can you go into detail about frequency spectrum? At least discuss the relative strength of the low, mid, and high bands.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #530 of 924
Yeah -- it would be nice to know something about mids an highs in the new 900.

We already know that Ultrasone does good bass on their cans.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #532 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the comparison. although i'm still unclear whether you prefer the edition 9's bass or the pro900. which one is better? does the pro900 go deeper without rolloff? is the bass more detailed?

Neither... I would grab the PRO 900 if you want hear exactly what's wrong in the lower frequencies of the bass. The Edition 9 seperates the bass better, has more control and more balanced (the whole frequency spectrum for that matter). The PRO 900 presents the lower and mid frequencies more upfront while pushing the last octave more to the background. The Edition 9 keeps everything much more even. They both have a very detailed bass, I think the PRO 900 shows details faster and easier while the Edition 9 pushes the detail more to the background but in the end has more of it (if this makes any sense).

Talking about the frequency spectrum has two sides, since it really depends on the recording you're listening to and the amplifier you're using. I always, always, always, recommend a flat neutral class A2 amp with Ultrasones (or any headphone really). It emphasizes the low end and the low mids, pushing it to the foreground, while pressing the high mids and high end more to the background. It's not fully burned in yet, but if you have more questions, more specific, please ask them.

About the HFI-780 in comparison... I haven't listened to those in quite a while but when you're used to an Edition 9 or PRO 900 they sound a bit like lo-fi cans.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #533 of 924
The pro 900's are my first pair of Ultrasone headphones.
I find them to be a bit heavy and tight- (although the soft ear cushion helps)
Is there any way to loosen them up a bit without causing damage?

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #534 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See the "...Ultrasone Manual..." in my signature area.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #535 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man it does show great detail in the bass. If a plane flew over while the track you're listening to was recorded, chances are you're going to hear it on the PRO 900 (or doors being slammed etc.) in the lowest of the bass. This is a very unique headphone.

Right on the money.....

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #536 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The headband has a metal support in it.

If you were to grip the headband with both hands, and place your thumbs on the OUTSIDE middle of the headband, and softly pull back on the headband, it will expand it and should give you less pressure on the sides of your head.

I demo this quite often to various dealers and sales reps. As long as your only doing the one adjustment and not bending it continuously back and forth, you won't have any problems with the headband.

Hope this helps.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #538 of 924
They are the same size as the pro2500 and the pro 750, a little bigger than the edition 9.
So if you can see a picture of someone with a pro2500 or pro750 you will just have to paintbrush them to black and you will have a pretty good idea of what the pro900 looks like on someone.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #539 of 924
I finally had an opportunity to listen to both the ED 9 and the Pro 900.

Right out of the box, being driven directly from an Ipod, they sound similar, with slight differences. The ED9 being more efficient, it was a little louder than the Pro900. I actually preferred the sound of the Pro900 on some cuts. Not a huge difference between them, and I would have been willing to live with the Pro900s alone at that point.

Simply listening to frequency sweeps from 20-200, and then 200-2000Hz, the ED9 clearly has a much smoother, more even and extended response in that portion of the spectrum. More extended testing, I'll leave for another time.

Without any burn in, I then plugged them into a descent portable amp, (SR-71) and fed them some lossless, high bit rate recordings.

WHOA!

What was initially a small difference instantly opened up into a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon!

The Pro900 and the ED9 are worlds apart when you feed them well.

The Pro900 is a great can which I far prefer over my modded Pro2500 and Pro650. It is more balanced, more extended, and generally better in every most every respect than either of my two modded cans.

The ED9 is on a whole different level altogether.

Listening to complex, well recorded orchestral suites, the imaging, clarity, space between instruments, and general sense of realism is remarkable, and truly stands apart from the Pro 900. Compared to the ED9, the Pro900 sounds congested, closed in, compressed, almost "fuzzy" by direct comparison.

Keep in mind that I'm pushing the expletives to clearly differentiate the Pro900 from the ED9. To these ears, the differences were that dramatic.

In summary, the Pro900 is an awesome can, clearly better than all of its lesser siblings, but it goes humbly to the back of the bus when the ED9 comes around.

Happy Listening!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back