Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #61 of 5,992
I also look forward to reading your thoughts on them.  Please do post impressions here.  Congrats on the purchase :) I have no doubt you'll like them

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #62 of 5,992
Great review. I'm really enticed by the fact they're good for metal, electronica and hip hop because those are the 3 genres I've been listening to heavily. I currently own the D2000s and they do sound very good but I could always go for more bass. Hopefully I can give these a try and maybe upgrade to them in the near future. I did have one question though, do they need an amp to power them well?

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #63 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It would probably best to save $80 then and go with him.

Funny thing is, when I "made the offer" yesterday of $320, it said it was "accepted". So I thought, "Okay, I could get them for $320 here, or $400 at B&H." Little did I know, that I guess when your offer is accepted, you technically buy the product. So checking my email this morning, I got a confirmation email of buying the Pro 900, all I had to do was send payment.

Well, I've gotta say, that woke me up faster than anything...

So I guess I'll be going with Buyauthorized! I already sent payment so things are done and done. I'll receive them this week I hope.'

(Remember possible buyers, as soon as your best offer is accepted, you pretty much have bought them)
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I fell for that as well when I made an offer on a Music Streamer II+. I guess I could have contacted the seller and had them cancel the order or something, but the very fact that I made an offer on the Streamer means that it was at the top of my short list.

The Pro 900s really are quite impressive - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #64 of 5,992

Quote:
Great review. I'm really enticed by the fact they're good for metal, electronica and hip hop because those are the 3 genres I've been listening to heavily. I currently own the D2000s and they do sound very good but I could always go for more bass. Hopefully I can give these a try and maybe upgrade to them in the near future. I did have one question though, do they need an amp to power them well?

That was answered earlier in the thread. Oh well.

I won't say the 900s sound terrible out of a DAP, but you won't be bringing out the full potential of the headphones, as people like to say. The overall sound signature is still the same, and they'll get fairly loud, so in that respect it's fine. With an amp, the bass will tighten up and the overall sound will become more refined - I know 'refined' is a pretty vague term, but it's hard to describe. It's not as big a deal as you think whether you use one or not - these aren't HD650s or K701s. You'll more than likely be pleased with the sound, and the 900s will improve nicely if you do get an amp in the future.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #65 of 5,992
Yes, in my experience with them so far, the Pro 900s do need a decently powerful amp to drive them well.  Amping them tightens up the bass considerably, makes the highs a little less exaggerated, opens up the soundstage, and brings the mids out a bit.  Without an amp, the bass can become pretty loose and undefined, causing the mids to fall back a little bit.

Quote:

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #66 of 5,992
Haha yeah I agree, these don't change nearly as significantly with an amp as the K701 did.  Man that was a transformation.

Quote:
Quote:

That was answered earlier in the thread. Oh well.

I won't say the 900s sound terrible out of a DAP, but you won't be bringing out the full potential of the headphones, as people like to say. The overall sound signature is still the same, and they'll get fairly loud, so in that respect it's fine. With an amp, the bass will tighten up and the overall sound will become more refined - I know 'refined' is a pretty vague term, but it's hard to describe. It's not as big a deal as you think whether you use one or not - these aren't HD650s or K701s. You'll more than likely be pleased with the sound, and the 900s will improve nicely if you do get an amp in the future.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #67 of 5,992
Well, I am quite excited for these to arrive! Never thought I would get the "2nd in command" in the Ultrasone line-up! (3rd now due to the Edition 10)

From those of you who bought from BuyAuthorized seem satisfied. That's a relief. I just hope it's not a "factory second" or a "unused item with defects" like the description described. If that was the case, maybe I should have went with the $80 more, brand new pair at B&H. Any words of comfort for someone as paranoid as me?
redface.gif

By the way, about how long did shipping take from this seller? I just did the free standard.

And actually what I think I'll do, is a stand alone Pro 900 review. But I will post impressions first...

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #68 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, I am quite excited for these to arrive! Never thought I would get the "2nd in command" in the Ultrasone line-up! (3rd now due to the Edition 10)

From those of you who bought from BuyAuthorized seem satisfied. That's a relief. I just hope it's not a "factory second" or a "unused item with defects" like the description described. If that was the case, maybe I should have went with the $80 more, brand new pair at B&H. Any words of comfort for someone as paranoid as me?
redface.gif

By the way, about how long did shipping take from this seller? I just did the free standard.

And actually what I think I'll do, is a stand alone Pro 900 review. But I will post impressions first...

They shipped mine 2-Day FedEx Air for free.  As far as I can tell, they arrived in completely new condition -- without so much as a finger print on any of the contents.  As far as factory defects are concerned, I suppose it's possible, but I doubt they would actually ship in a full fledged box/hardcase with all the accessories if they were indeed defective in some sense.  Mine sound wonderful, so I'm content (hasn't stopped me from fiddling with the Kees mode though). 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #69 of 5,992
How does the 900 sound coming out of the D4?

Quote:
Yes, in my experience with them so far, the Pro 900s do need a decently powerful amp to drive them well.  Amping them tightens up the bass considerably, makes the highs a little less exaggerated, opens up the soundstage, and brings the mids out a bit.  Without an amp, the bass can become pretty loose and undefined, causing the mids to fall back a little bit.

Quote:

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #70 of 5,992

Quote:
1  Out of the box, guitars sounded a bit weird and unnatural which really put me off.  This has been slowly disappearing though, whether due to burn in or my brain getting used to the new sound signature.  
2  For certain genres, I agree.  I DO NOT recommend these if you listen to jazz, classical, or anything were a very natural presentation is needed.  Make no mistake, these headphones have huge bass and are made for the Electronic Dance Music genres (or any other genre which requires bass, such as Hip Hop). 

1 With Pro 2500 burn in is real I would assume all Ultrasone's have major changes with burn in since most people have noticed it with a pair of Ultrasone's.
The Pro 2500 has had major changes.

2 That might just be the Pro 900 I'm not sure.
But the Pro 2500 works very well with new age and other forms of instrumental music,classical,jazz etc...
Even though the Pro 2500 can be considered bass heavy probably by some.
Did you actually try those genres? Or just assume bass heavy can't do those genres?

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #72 of 5,992

He is referring to the Edition 8 and Edition 10 as being 1 and 2 (or 2 and 1 respectively).  As to how the Pro 900 sounds out of an Ibasso D4, it sounds great.  The amp has enough power to drive them quite well, and I think the DAC in the D4 is wonderful.  The D4 does command the 900s like my Matrix M Stage does, but then again, the M Stage outputs like 3X the power at the Ultrasone's impedance, so that is to be expected.  

Guitars sound just fine now.  I do not listen to jazz, though I've heard them with some classical pieces.  They sound great with any genre, but the emphasized bass makes some genres far from accurate.  They still sound great, just not neutral.  
Quote:
Quote:

Pro 900 isn't exactly # 3.

I think the Pro 900 and Pro 2900 are considered equals just one is closed and the other is open.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #73 of 5,992
So being a FedEx employee, I decided to mess around after my shift by putting in my FedEx tracking number from buyauthorized. Not too surprisingly, my PRO 900's were at my very location.

I went downstairs and stood right before the container my package is in... with about 4,500 lbs of other packages. I hoped I would be able to take it home with me, but I didn't think the handlers would take too kindly to me stripping out a container that they had just finished stacking.

So the point of this story is... nothing. I have to wait til tomorrow afternoon to get my PRO 900's lol...

SOOO close... yet so far, far away.
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #74 of 5,992
should've just took it... Either way, the wait is worth it

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #75 of 5,992
Haha dang man, I don't know if I could have just let it sit there.  Let us know what you think of them once you get them tomorrow! 

Quote:
So being a FedEx employee, I decided to mess around after my shift by putting in my FedEx tracking number from buyauthorized. Not too surprisingly, my PRO 900's were at my very location.

I went downstairs and stood right before the container my package is in... with about 4,500 lbs of other packages. I hoped I would be able to take it home with me, but I didn't think the handlers would take too kindly to me stripping out a container that they had just finished stacking.

So the point of this story is... nothing. I have to wait til tomorrow afternoon to get my PRO 900's lol...

SOOO close... yet so far, far away.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back