ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Sep 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 2,431

Quote:
I mean that they are missing a model from their line up that is a step up above beyond everything they've done before.

You know, a headphone that doesn't sound constricted, unnatural, metallic and isn't painful to wear.

A real headphone.

That's what I want from Ultrasone. That they pull their heads out of the sand, get a real headphone designer and make a good sounding pair of headphones.

With all the mumbo-jumbo marketing speech I would think they'd have at least one headphone that does really good sound and is worth the outlandish price.

Just one. That would be enough.

Am I being harsh? Perhaps, but I think they deserve it.

I understand all your complaints, but what do you expect from basshead level closed headphones? No open headphones I've heard can pull off what Ultrasones do with beat oriented music. I'm sure there maybe one or two, but I haven't heard them.

Does nobody listen to mainstream music on Head-fi?

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 2,431

Not enough money in the world.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 2,431
Also in the article.

10,000 HKD = 1281 USD
official release in November

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 2,431
I believe these have been officially realesed on the ultrasone website for about 1500 dollars

Seems like the earpads and headband are made of leather and each headphone is handmade

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #20 of 2,431
It's retailing for €899,00. Pretty dear stuff.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 2,431
Hmmm, officially interested. I wonder when they will make their way into the wild.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 2,431
Quote:
Aren't you the hater that posted a load of bs on another thread about Ultrasones?

Nope, you got me confused with somebody else. I was listening to Ultrasones way before most of you had even heard about the whole brand. It was a hate/love affair that I quickly grew out of. And they're still the same to this date, years later :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's too bad you don't like the sound of Ultrasones, but that's your own opinion, and like yours, there are lots of people who think the exact opposite.

People are entitled to their opinions, but there is a minimum level of objectivity also associated in headphone acoustic design. Ultrasone does not pass that mustard, because they don't have a decent headphone designer or refuse to employ his/her skills to the full.

And by a headphone designer I don't mean visual aesthetics, but acoustic design.

Still, it's great that their colored house sound is liked by so many. I just wish they'd do also one headphone that targeted natural (as in compare to natural, acoustic, unamplified sound) performance as the reference. So far they have steadfastdly avoided that for reasons unknown to me.

Yet, I can't wait to hear to lyrical waxing people will employ when describing the sound of the upcoming Signature Pro ultra whatever series :)

YMMV, of course.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 2,431

Quote:
Nope, you got me confused with somebody else. I was listening to Ultrasones way before most of you had even heard about the whole brand. It was a hate/love affair that I quickly grew out of. And they're still the same to this date, years later :)

Ultrasones are fun, but I don't think they are even remotely intended as "natural".

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 2,431
$1235 USD ? The Signature PRO Sure doesn't look $1235, hopefully that means Ultrasone spent that money into developing this beast. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #26 of 2,431
Someone take 1 for the team already! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #27 of 2,431
 Anyone know what price-range these will be in?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #28 of 2,431
NIIICE!!! His line instantly made me think "Hipster" anyways, I get his point about the Ultrasone coloration.  Audiophillia is filled with people like him, we all have our preferences in what hour equipment should sound like, just like we have preferences what music we listen to.  Just as he has issues with v-shaped FR's, I absolutely cannot tolerate mid-centric phones, they give me headaches and everything sounds like they're being played by one of those megaphone style speakers you find in Macy's.  Even "flat" speakers are annoying to me, after-all, I don't hear every frequency at the same volume, just like most people.

Quote:

Ultrasones are fun, but I don't think they are even remotely intended as "natural".

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #29 of 2,431
These better sound amazing, because for that price you still get that same crappy headband like you get with the HFI450. They don't look like they cost the same as the ED8.
So in theory, these are the new best sounding closed headphones on the market, since they put all the money into the drivers, right? Can't wait to see some impressions!

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #30 of 2,431

Quote:
NIIICE!!! His line instantly made me think "Hipster" anyways, I get his point about the Ultrasone coloration.  Audiophillia is filled with people like him, we all have our preferences in what hour equipment should sound like, just like we have preferences what music we listen to.  Just as he has issues with v-shaped FR's, I absolutely cannot tolerate mid-centric phones, they give me headaches and everything sounds like they're being played by one of those megaphone style speakers you find in Macy's.  Even "flat" speakers are annoying to me, after-all, I don't hear every frequency at the same volume, just like most people. 

Horses for courses. I like my colored phones, and I like my neutrals. I like sparkly treble, and gut rumbling bass. I think though, that since I have various boats that can be floated, I would be a bit of an anomaly in audiophilia. Maybe I'm just a music lover and not an audiophile in the truest sense. I like my Pro900s for what they do, I like my LCD2s for what they do, I like my IE8s for what they do, I like my loudspeaker setup for what it does, and soon I'll be on to some Stax, and I already love what they do. Each is unique in character and rendering. For me that's half the fun.

But the "before you ever heard of them" line, well I hope he doesn't take offense, but it is just about the most hipster thing that one can say.

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

.....It's a pretty obscure number, you've probably never heard of it.

Anyways, functionally the headband is great on the Pro series, but it is 'cheap', yet sturdy and durable, plastic. It keeps the price reasonable, and I do use my 900s as portables due to this.. I don't mind if they take a beating, while my LCD2s stay at home on an aluminum perch...
I would hope that if using the same frames, that they have milled or molded it out of a high quality material to justify the price. I don't mind at all that it's the same schematically, but if it's the same plastic as in my $400 Pro900s, well those drivers had better something really special.

I've got my eye on these, but I'm not going to get overly excited until some solid reviews come around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back