Ultrasone Edition 8
Jun 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,801 of 2,099
Can anyone comment on the bass between the ED8/Sig Pro/Sig DJ in terms of quality and quantity? I'm sure it has been mentioned before but its 120 pages already in this thread 
basshead.gif

Also what I like to know is how the vocals on these 3 cans compare? I am asking because I found the vocals on the Pro 2900/Pro 900 a little recessed and somehow metallic (in lack of a better term).  

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,802 of 2,099
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the bass between the ED8/Sig Pro/Sig DJ in terms of quality and quantity? I'm sure it has been mentioned before but its 120 pages already in this thread 
basshead.gif

Also what I like to know is how the vocals on these 3 cans compare? I am asking because I found the vocals on the Pro 2900/Pro 900 a little recessed and somehow metallic (in lack of a better term).  

Here is the bass order:

Sig DJ
ED8
Sig Pro

I own the Sig DJ and have auditioned the ED8 and Sig PRO.  As my taste leans toward the basshead side,  Sig DJ best matches my personal taste.  ED8 and Sig Pro are very close in bass presentation.  All three are fantastic headphones, but I would say the ED8 is a bit bright for my taste.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,803 of 2,099
Thx Craigster for the quick comparison.

My only experience with Ultrasone are the Pro900/Pro2900 which I used to own but never liked that much due to the recessed mids and the metallic sound sig. Are the Ed8/SDJ/SP better in that regard or is this metallic sound simply the natural sound signature of Ultrasones in general?

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,804 of 2,099
Quote:
Thx Craigster for the quick comparison.

My only experience with Ultrasone are the Pro900/Pro2900 which I used to own but never liked that much due to the recessed mids and the metallic sound sig. Are the Ed8/SDJ/SP better in that regard or is this metallic sound simply the natural sound signature of Ultrasones in general?

All three of these are in a different league regarding sound.  To my ears, they bear little resemblance to any of the lower end Ultrasones and have a much more natural sound.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,805 of 2,099
Quote:
All three of these are in a different league regarding sound.  To my ears, they bear little resemblance to any of the lower end Ultrasones and have a much more natural sound.

+1 on this.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,806 of 2,099
Dear all,

I thinking of getting the edition 8 Romeo. Does anyone has experience with it? Do they sound the same as the other versions? Apparently it has detachable cable which seems to be using shure connectors. Will these affect the sound and do they have connection problem.

Not sure if I can use cables with shure connectors to upgrade the stock cable. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Vic

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,807 of 2,099
Quote:
Hi Rayzilla ! Just to say that I've experienced almost the same problem as you. My ED8 started to have that problem with the cable close to the connector. Even if i was being very careful with it ! I bough mine in the US , so couldn't get a warranty repair. However, I went to my local Ultrasone distributor and was only charge for labor costs (Ultrasone sent a new cable from Germany, for free) But yes, despite the cable looking quite solid, it seems to be really fragile. The rest of the headphones (i've been using it everyday inside / + 2h commuting) is really well designed and is still mint !

Hello Slash, thanks for sharing your related experience with me and sorry for the delay in responding. I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't had a chance to get around to dealing with my Ed8. I will need to contact Ultrasone's head office to see what I should do.

I take my Ed8 with me when I am out and about but I am always very careful with the cable so I am very surprised that I am having this problem with it. I would consider trying to do an arrangement similar to how you got yours repaired but I would also like them to tune up the adjusting mechanism (not sure what it is called). The right side just doesn't have the same clicking effect that the left side does. Hoping that they can do something about that.

In terms of minimal sound leakage, isolation and comfort under portable conditions, I can't imagine anything touching the Ed8. Add the neutral sound (with some musicality) to them, they are hard to beat from an overall package perspective. At least that is my opinion. :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #1,808 of 2,099
Quote:
Here is the bass order:

Sig DJ
ED8
Sig Pro

That's interesting, from my reading i had the impression that the ED8 had the least bass.  I guess the brightness that bothers you is the detail that i hear, giving the ED8 that higher end sound like the HD800 has that others who don't like them call a treble emphasis.  Maybe as you get older the brightness helps people hear the details better or something.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,809 of 2,099
Quote:
That's interesting, from my reading i had the impression that the ED8 had the least bass.  I guess the brightness that bothers you is the detail that i hear, giving the ED8 that higher end sound like the HD800 has that others who don't like them call a treble emphasis.  Maybe as you get older the brightness helps people hear the details better or something.

To me, the bass between the Sig Pro and ED8 is almost a photo finish with the Sig DJ having an obvious bass increase over both.  Regarding the treble detail, it is quite possible that I am perceiving the detail as brightness.  There is a significant price difference between the Signature line and ED8, so it would make sense that the ED8 provides more high end detail.

I consider all three to be the best sounding closed portable headphones manufactured today.  However, I admit that I haven't heard the T5P.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,810 of 2,099
Question about comfort please - is the Edition 8 more comfortable than the Sig Pro/DJ?  With the Pro after about 30-45 minutes the ear pads bothered me.  I did the HD650 headband mod to solve the headband issue but the pads............doesn't seem to be a solution to them. 

Was hoping the Edition 8 has better comfort. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,811 of 2,099
Hi Oregonian, did you sell the Sig Pro?

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,812 of 2,099
Quote:
Question about comfort please - is the Edition 8 more comfortable than the Sig Pro/DJ?  With the Pro after about 30-45 minutes the ear pads bothered me.  I did the HD650 headband mod to solve the headband issue but the pads............doesn't seem to be a solution to them. 

Was hoping the Edition 8 has better comfort. 

I believe the Edition 8 is more comfortable- less clamp and feels like a better fit, less bulky and more "form fitting".  The earpads have a more pronounced oval shape that fit my ears better.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,813 of 2,099
Quote:
Hi Oregonian, did you sell the Sig Pro?

Traded it for a Denon D7000..............comfort was the deciding factor.  That and I love my D2000 and figure the D7000 should be close in sound. 
biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for the Sig Pro/DJ sound in a more comfortable package - gelocks is testing a possible replacement from Korea or Taiwan right now (has it on order) - looks awesome, price comparable, now to see if the comfort and sound is there.

Any other comps to these?  Beyer T1?  Anything else....................?

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,814 of 2,099
Quote:

I take my Ed8 with me when I am out and about but I am always very careful with the cable so I am very surprised that I am having this problem with it ...

Has anyone had this cable problem with your Ed8, where you only hear from one side because of a problem on the cable close to the connector? I know it is a common problem for portable HP and IEM but usually this is only with cheap models or non-careful owners.

Like Slash86 says, the cable does look like ok quality but I like the Ultrasone replacement cable that I bought for my Pro900. It is totally round and is definitely has a more solid feeling to it than the cable on my Ed8. 

Second question. Has anyone dealt directly with Ultrasone's head office in Germany before? If so, how was their communication and service orientation?

Thanks for any input.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #1,815 of 2,099
I finally got around to dealing with my Ed8 and sending them to Ultrasone's head office in Germany. They have confirmed that they have received them but I am still waiting to hear what their thoughts are regarding the cable problem and the size adjustment mechanism. Hopefully they will let me know soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back