Ultrasone Edition 10 or Audez'e LCD3
Dec 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 95

Quote:
other than to say RUN do not walk away from thoughts of Ultrasone 10s or 8s for that matter as well the AT W3000s (if you can find them) would get my first nod followed very closely by the LCD3s.

What do you mean by RUN ?
smily_headphones1.gif

ATW3000 : http://www.head-fi.org/t/575725/new-flagship-from-audio-technica-ath-w3000anv-50th-anniversary-headphones

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #21 of 95
The ED10 is good on very limited genres of music. I don't think the ED10 is as bad as Tyll's impression was in his video, but for some kinds of music, it is indeed ear piercing - one of them, Jazz. Trust me, you won't want to listen to any trumpet or cymbal heavy tracks on the ED10, ever.  Female vocal is also a no, due to the sibilance, and pop or rock music also sound bad mostly on the ED10 since they tend to have quite a bit of cymbals.

Genres which I think the ED10 excelled better than the LCD2 (and possibly the 3 - I haven't compared the ED10 against the 3, and probably never will, since I have the SR009 for those genres anyway), are male vocal (non-pop, like Nat King Cole and possibly Armstrong in tracks without his trumpet) and classical, best with string quartetts and orchestral music. Where the problem doesn't appear, the ED10 does sound like a dream, quite a bit better than the LCD2 I'd say, but those cases are too rare. 

Quote:
Your take on ED 10 ? What kind of music ?

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 95

Quote:
The ED10 is good on very limited genres of music. I don't think the ED10 is as bad as Tyll's impression was in his video, but for some kinds of music, it is indeed ear piercing - one of them, Jazz. Trust me, you won't want to listen to any trumpet or cymbal heavy tracks on the ED10, ever.  Female vocal is also a no, due to the sibilance, and pop or rock music also sound bad mostly on the ED10 since they tend to have quite a bit of cymbals.

Genres which I think the ED10 excelled better than the LCD2 (and possibly the 3 - I haven't compared the ED10 against the 3, and probably never will, since I have the SR009 for those genres anyway), are male vocal (Nat King Cole) and classical, best with string quartetts and orchestral music. Where the problem doesn't appear, the ED10 does sound like a dream, quite a bit better than the LCD2 I'd say, but those cases are too rare. 

So suggestion to retain both LCD 3 for jazz and vocal and ED 10 for orchestral/contemporary is not so foolish.
The new Audiotechnica might be an option too. I always disliked Sennheiser or Beyer so far.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 95
I'd pay a bit more for the SR-009 to get the best out of orchestral / contemporary. Classical on LCD3 is still a no (comparatively).

Quote:
So suggestion to retain both LCD 3 for jazz and vocal and ED 10 for orchestral/contemporary is not so foolish.
The new Audiotechnica might be an option too. I always disliked Sennheiser or Beyer so far.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 95

Quote:
I'd pay a bit more for the SR-009 to get the best out of orchestral / contemporary. Classical on LCD3 is still a no (comparatively).

Difficulty is you cannot listen to them beforehand.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #25 of 95
ED10 is a ridiculously overpriced (and overdesigned) headphone. I've heard the LCD-2 and ED10 and the latter is just crap compared, and it's twice the price (!). LCD-3 will, of course, be a step up from the LCD-2 so you do the math... 

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #28 of 95
i must admit I have yet to hear an Ultrasone that I have liked, they just never seem engaging to me.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 95

Quote:
i must admit I have yet to hear an Ultrasone that I have liked, they just never seem engaging to me.

Egg Zachary.

No offense to the OP, but this thread is just silly. A Porta Pro slays the ED10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back