Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #136 of 318

Quote:
Sweet. But how do they sound?

Terrific.  Exactly like how I remember the IERM demos.  Clarity as good as the DBA's which is the best clarity I've heard on an IEM and the micro detail retrieval is amazing.  Totally obvious and up front on the detail retrieval.  The low end if fuller and more extended than the DBA and just as or even more punchy and impactful.  If the DBA is a Welterweight Champion.  The IERM is the same fighter moving up to Heavy or Super Heavyweight Champ.  If the IERM is the champion of boxing then the ES5 is the K1 or UFC Champion.  I can now part w/ my DBAs not feeling I am missing out on anything.  They have been surpassed in every way.

Edit -  I'd been wondering about a few recordings on my ES5 and whether they were accurate since my other phones presented them differently.  The IERM confirmed my ES5 is accurate and the other phones are not.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #137 of 318

^ you lucky dog, er rabbit.

I really liked the monitors at the meet, just couldn't talk myself into the cost, even with the 25% discount.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #138 of 318
Anaxilus, that is great news!  (And it can tell me more about the ES5 and DBA-02.  Cool.)

Yes, I have a pic that shows what look like "water droplets" but are actually the glue that holds down the crossovers, etc.

Wonder if the re-shelling company would remove the crossovers to reuse or use their own?  Since these are tuned by UE to a target FR curve, would that also change the signature if someone else re-shelled them?

Anyway, with a macro shot and flash reflections off of the texture inside the shells (which is not normally visible and the outside is smooth):

They are definitely hand-made, but I still enjoy looking at them whenever I pull them out.  Must be a "my first customs" thing, I know...

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #139 of 318
Yeah, you can see the 3 way crossover glued around the shell.  Plus that big bass driver in the middle.  The IERM low driver appears wider than the ES5 but the aperture/bore is smaller.  The Westone looks like a cleaner more efficient design.  The crossovers are packaged together by the cable plug then feed straight to the drivers.  The IERM has the crossovers spread out individually tacked to the shell then wired like Spaghetti.  I have no idea if one provides a sonic benefit over the other layout.  I will say it makes sense to me now why the IERM silicone option was ditched.  Those crossovers would get detached and bounce around in no time.  It would have to be solid silicone (changes sonic character?) or Acrylic shell w/ vinyl/silicone tips a la Westone.  

As for reshelling.  Kozee says they take a sonic picture of the original, measure the placement of the internals and then photo reshelled models signature to confirm the whole process.  I am worried about whether they can deal with all the glue on those tiny bits like the third tiny crossover to the top right without damaging it.  Freaks me out.  As it stands I have the best universal IEM I've heard to date.  The IERM just loves throwing micro detail at you.  Footsteps, chair movements, clicking trumpet plungers, hands stroking guitar necks. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #140 of 318

Quote:
Sounds like you won't be messing with new IEMs for awhile.

Oddly I have a Xears Blackwood inbound.  Basically because I'm an idiot.  But yeah I'm feeling pretty solid. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #142 of 318

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting my $450 Ultimate Ears 'In-Ear Reference Monitor' Universals:

Sometimes the headphone gods smile upon you!  This makes me wonder, as I have been asked if $1k IEMs are that much better than top shelf universals.  My answer has always been: Better?  Probably.  Different?  Definitely.  Worth the difference in price?  Eh... depends how much you want to spend.  But if you managed to pull this off, it seems feasible that they could make a TF-RM for around $600ish and it would definitely narrow if not eliminate that much debated gap between universals and customs.  Of course for UE, Westone, or anyone else with both custom and universal lines, it might present a conflict between the two.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #143 of 318
Just got a message from my dealer, the silicone option will not be supported, eventhough UE is working hard on getting it done... I'm some kind of bothered, cause he told me there wouldn't be problems... 

Remolding could be an issue, but I think, every ie crossover can be removed from the shell without any damage. Well, we will see.. 

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #144 of 318
They're baaaaaaaack.
And here's what was written on the packing slip:
"Lab: Replace the Hi/Low driver on both sides / Replace sockets on both sides and the cable."
"Replaced all drivers on both sides and sockets on both sides. Tested & Cleaned."

And there you have it. Now, looking at them (can't try them until tonight), they look very different. The high-gloss finish is gone, especially on the tips with the openings. They are now a matte / satin finish. OK, I don't care how the tips look, they are in my ear anyway. Maybe the matte finish is better for pressure issues. Hope so. Not sure... I'll find out. Interesting that they replaced all the drivers.

As an aside, I spoke with Jen. Wow... as nice and helpful as could be. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #145 of 318
They're baaaaaaaack.
And here's what was written on the packing slip:
"Lab: Replace the Hi/Low driver on both sides / Replace sockets on both sides and the cable."
"Replaced all drivers on both sides and sockets on both sides. Tested & Cleaned."

And there you have it. Now, looking at them (can't try them until tonight), they look very different. The high-gloss finish is gone, especially on the tips with the openings. They are now a matte / satin finish. OK, I don't care how the tips look, they are in my ear anyway. Maybe the matte finish is better for pressure issues. Hope so. Not sure... I'll find out. Interesting that they replaced all the drivers.

As an aside, I spoke with Jen. Wow... as nice and helpful as could be. 

Glad to hear you've got them back! Interested to hear your impressions now that the fit is right, assuming that it is.

I wonder if they replace the parts because of whatever work/process they go through to re-shape them? Perhaps there is some vibration that could negatively effect the drivers? Just trying to think of some reason...

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #146 of 318
Yup... interesting indeed.
I've had them in my ears for about 1/2 hour. That's not much time, but I can tell you one thing, for certain... there was something wrong with the original drivers. They feel exactly the same, they didn't change the shape / fit. The 'only' changes were the drivers, cable, sockets and the surface. Maybe I should just say that they changed out everything but the shape / casing.

The sound is completely different from the first iteration. These sound very good. Very good.

Still getting the bone conduction and microphonics, but that's to be expected. It may be slightly minimized... but maybe that's a psychosomatic.
rolleyes.gif

But one thing for sure, I'm actually listening to, and getting into the music instead of hearing all these sonic aberrations and tonal changes.

More later...

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #149 of 318

Quote:
Now Shane, didn't you ask for a refit as well?

The only thing I asked for was a resolution to the problems.
wink_face.gif

I didn't specifically state a refit was necessary as I found them very comfortable, but I explained in detail what my sound quality and 'sound change' observations were. From this they deduced that the drivers, etc. must be bad. OK, good call, so it would seem at this point. My assumption is that they know their job better than I do, so I'll tell them what's wrong and they'll figure it out. Though I've made similar (and poor) assumptions in the past.

But no worries. If they still act up, back they go. I've got a year starting 4/8.

I didn't get much time with them last night. More time, and a better test today.

@ tengen.
I'll just have to 'get used' to the bone conduction part of it. Yep, I don't see that ever going away, but maybe minimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back