Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #3,451 of 4,383
I got a faulty pair from ebay that I was thinking of getting made into customs. One of the cables buds had the cut out issue but when I went to remove the cable to clean contacts/try another they just wouldn't budge. Eventually I had to use some needle nosed pliers and the cable ended up shearing off leaving the metal connector in place!!?! Anyone had this issue before? I wonder if the previous owner had glued them in place or something. Wierdly they still rotated suggesting they weren't stuck.

I had exactly the same thing happen to one of the replacement of my ue900. I called Logitech and they replaced it. If ur under warranty, get a replacement. Or if ur outside of warranty, customs. I think it is messed up. If u can get the little metal piece out, I have my ue900 cables. Shoot me a pm, if u need a cable.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #3,452 of 4,383
Can anyone tell me which tips will provide the best bass with the ue900s? I don't mind paying like $30 with shipping for these, I want more bass! 

I was using a double-flange silicone, but 1 of the tips has gone missing... I ordered a triple flange silicone of ebay for like $10 about a week ago. Any other ear tips that people here would recommend? 

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,453 of 4,383
Here is the response from Rory Dooley (General Manager of UE) to my questions:

1. It's well documented that users experienced failures with UE900's due to earpiece construction. Rory Dooley mentioned in the Head Fi thread that since launch the UE900 saw changes to the connector and faceplate. Can you comment on those issues, and how did you address those issues?
  We took a close look at where the problems were coming from and addressed them by improving our design and updating our manufacturing techniques.

2. If you are happy with the reliability of these fixes, why did you continue making changes to the manufacturing techniques as seen in the blue connector versions of the UE900s in Japanese media?

We are always looking to improve our designs and manufacturing processes, which is a common practice used across most companies that manufacture products. We continuously update our processes to address customer feedback or to take advantage of new techniques and materials to improve manufacturability.

3. Specifically, Japanese media reports that the UE900s now has a one piece earpiece construction using sonic welding. Why was this change made?

The change to the one-piece assembly improves our manufacturing process, removing a step where errors could be made.

4. Japanese media reports that the UE900s drivers are now held in place using a plastic assembly rather than glue. Why was this change made?

This is also a function of improving our manufacturing process. Using a plastic assembly is easier to use and manufacture. 

5. Why was the warranty reduced from 2 years to 1 year in a number of markets with the introduction of the UE900s?

The company has introduced a new warranty policy since we introduced the UE 900 earphones in 2012, which is meant to standardize warranty periods across all product categories. Warranties vary by country and by specific legal requirements in those countries. 

6. Given that your marketing material and packaging depict the UE900s with the blue connector and apparently the same changes as those reported in Japanese media, do you think that customers would expect to have received something different when they ordered the UE900s?

The introduction of the UE 900s earphones was driven by improving the out-of-the-box experience, with a better mechanism for finding the right eartip and an included maintenance kit for keeping the connectors in tiptop shape. Because the black and blue connectors meet the exact same technical specification (as listed on the box) and the shift from one to the other was related to improving our manufacturing processes, we did not expect this reaction.

7. For customers who have already received the UE900s with black connectors, would you allow them to exchange their units for units with blue connectors?

Because the earphones with blue connectors are sonically identical to the earphones with black connectors, every consumer who purchases UE 900s earphones has the same high-quality sound experience. Thus, we are not offering an exchange program.

8. You state that you will now remove the S from the packaging of black connector UE900s units until you sell through these units. How do you explain this decision?

Because customers expressed strong interest in knowing whether they are buying the black connector or the blue connector, we removed the “s” from the packaging in China, Hong Kong and Korea (where the product is most widely distributed) to help customers better understand what they are receiving. As communicated on Head-Fi last week, we will notify this community when the blue connector is available in the U.S. and Europe.

9. Given the confusion caused by this issue, how do you think you could have launched this product differently?

We clearly regret the confusion, and should have paid more attention to the outer packaging.

10. One interpretation of this issue is that Logitech was attempting to sell old parts in a new box, with pricing higher than current street prices for the UE900. How do you respond to this claim?

This is not the case. The introduction of the UE 900s earphones was driven by the goal to improve the out-of-the-box experience. Again, our products are constantly evolving as we’re updating our manufacturing techniques and processes, and the confusion here is a result of that and a poor packaging decision.

11. A common narrative on Head Fi is that since acquisition by Logitech, quality control for UE's product line has suffered. Why do you think some people have this view and how would you respond to it?

Change always happens after an acquisition. In the beginning, in terms of earphones, we maintained a focus on high-quality and experimented and took the brand into new price points. Now, we are focused back on the sweet spot of UE earphones, high-quality universal and custom fit earphones. We are committed to creating a high quality audio experience for our customers and will continue to push ourselves.  

12. Logitech has discontinued many products from the UE product line. What is the expectation for the UE consumer brand going forward?  

UE will continue to focus on creating experiences that provide exceptional sound and immersive experiences. Going forward, expect the UE consumer brand to be about a few really amazing experiences.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #3,454 of 4,383
Unless UE has stated in their advertising and pictures on their order page that you may get a different looking product then everyone who got a different unit is eligible for a refund or replacement unit to the one they ordered. Even if it is technically the same, it doesn't look the same. Its just the way it is. Its a bit of a Schiit go IMO.

Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,455 of 4,383
I mentioned before I never owned the UE900 but I remembered demoing them when they first came out and I didn't like the sound signature then. When I demoed the UE900s last month, I liked them straight away and got a pair before I even knew about this unibody scandal. I did an A/B test a couple of weeks ago with a pair of UE900 and my UE900s in a shop. The UE900 sounded very bass heavy in comparison, whereas the 900s were tight with a lot of clarity and details. And compare to the UM3x, my 900s sound a little bass light. It is very possible that UE could have just tuned them differently and market them as UE900s, whereas the unibody version with the new sound bore could be made to address the problem of the easily clotted problem of the UE900.

what differences are you noticing? Because I have a a pair of ue900 and would like to know the difference.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,456 of 4,383
I mentioned before I never owned the UE900 but I remembered demoing them when they first came out and I didn't like the sound signature then. When I demoed the UE900s last month, I liked them straight away and got a pair before I even knew about this unibody scandal. I did an A/B test a couple of weeks ago with a pair of UE900 and my UE900s in a shop. The UE900 sounded very bass heavy in comparison, whereas the 900s were tight with a lot of clarity and details. And compare to the UM3x, my 900s sound a little bass light. It is very possible that UE could have just tuned them differently and market them as UE900s, whereas the unibody version with the new sound bore could be made to address the problem of the easily clotted problem of the UE900.

This is pretty interesting and somehow makes sense. My 900 has great bass and I never once found it light. I am not a basshead but like bass. For a balance armature the bass of my 900 is very solid.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,457 of 4,383
  Here is the response from Rory Dooley (General Manager of UE) to my questions:

Thanks very much for sharing. Unfortunately I predicted the answers to most of the question, and to put it politically correct, I am so not surprised. Also, their vision, customer service and support moving forward don't reallly give me a great deal of confidence in their products. I like my 900 but this is most likely going to be my last Logitech/ Ultimate Ears earphones.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Logitech completely destroyed the Ultimate Ears line which is very sad and disappointing for the community.    

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #3,458 of 4,383
Thanks very much for sharing. Unfortunately I predicted the answers to most of the question, and to put it politically correct, I am so not surprised. Also, their vision, customer service and support moving forward don't reallly give me a great deal of confidence in their products. I like my 900 but this is most likely going to be my last Logitech/ Ultimate Ears earphones.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Logitech completely destroyed the Ultimate Ears line which is very sad and disappointing for the community.    
LOL..UE is the brand of choice for the worlds top touring musicians, audio engineers and people who understand and appreciate high-end sound. UE along with the resources of its parent is in the best position to capitalize on a growing market. It's also a smart move IMO, to just focus on the upper end market where their product are best known.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,459 of 4,383
It's also a smart move IMO, to just focus on the upper end market where their product are best known.

Not if you do things that alienate that market, when they tend to be very well informed and very selective.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,461 of 4,383
That's why I think anyone who's interested in getting the UE900s should demo them first, they sound very different to UE900. If you like the UE900 sound signature, you may not like the UE900s'.

Quote:
  This is pretty interesting and somehow makes sense. My 900 has great bass and I never once found it light. I am not a basshead but like bass. For a balance armature the bass of my 900 is very solid.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #3,462 of 4,383
Personally, I think UE should avoid the under $500 consumer market altogether--keeps out the riff raff

I agree those terrible plebs with their insatiable demand for the product inside the box to actually be what's on the box!!!

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,464 of 4,383
My friends UE900 broke a few days ago, this is what happened to it.

The problem it had is strange, right side started to have connection issues so
my friend wanted to try and switch the cabled but he couldn't.
He said that they were stuck but he could still rotate them. He then managed to pull too hard and break it.

I've helped him contact Logitech UE, they said they're going to send the new UE900s.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,465 of 4,383
LOL..UE is the brand of choice for the worlds top touring musicians, audio engineers and people who understand and appreciate high-end sound. UE along with the resources of its parent is in the best position to capitalize on a growing market. It's also a smart move IMO, to just focus on the upper end market where their product are best known.

No matter how you sugarcoat it their consumer line has been vanished and was left with the controversy 900s/900. For people who are familiar with Ultimate Ears, JH Audio is their stiff competitor.
Why go with a company that once was innovative and associated with Jerry Harvey and not go straight to the source?
If was in the market for high end earphones I would have gone with JH Audio and not with a company that just destroyed its consumer line. Ultimate Ears is Logitech now. There is no Jerry Harvey behind it, yeah, the same Jerry Harvey who made Ultimate Ears so good, or should I say used to be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back