Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB vs UE Super.fi 5 Pro?
May 27, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 36
I have the eb the bass is really amazing, sound like movie theater bass, but the mid are ok and the high are just too harsh/piercing to my liking. I am comparing it to my sennheiser IE7, which i guess is unfair. I like the mid and neutral high of the IE7, the bass is more blended in the music than the eb. I enjoy the ie7 more just because of its warm and natural sound signature and the comfort. The eb is just too big and my friends makes fun of them, calling them ear-dildo. lol

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 36
Sorry to help resurrect an old thread (though, perhaps, anyone considering the Super.Fis would find this thread useful already) but I do have a question and it seems silly to start a new thread with this one so perfect.

First though, I'd like to say that I just can't really see why anyone would prefer the EBs unless they are a bass-head. I have the Super.Fi 5 Pros and the bass really is not lacking. Well, one of the interesting things about the Super.Fi 5 IEMs is that both the Pro and the EBs use two separate drivers, one for the bass and one for the mids and highs. Needless to say, this lets them get a good strong bass. The Pros have plenty of bass and I just can't see how anyone could need more if they aren't a bass-head. I will admit that I tend towards a preference of a more neutral or maybe even slightly reduced bass compared to most people wanting more, but I would say the Pros are above neutral.

Anyway, let me ask one question though. I got the Super.Fi 5 Pros a while back. I read somewhere or other how many hours they supposedly needed for burn-in and burned them in that long. Truth be told though, I can't recall how long this was. I'm thinking it was 100 hours, but I'm not 100% sure. I actually almost thought I gave them some 200 or so even, but again I'll admit I'm not sure. What I'm wondering is just how much they do need though? When I listen with my Super.Fi 5 Pros, they just seem dark, dull, and muddy to me. That first post described 100-200 on the EBs but mostly talked about the bass and I'm finding even the mids and highs to be weak and muddy. Does this still apply to the Pros though? I've listened a decent amount with them, but I doubt I've added as much as 50 hours even given that I usually prefer my headphones anyway. Well, the biggest problem is I'm comparing with my Denon headphones and I guess my basic Klipsch speaker system (the Promedia 2.1.) I don't really have much else to compare to. At first I kind of liked them and I needed IEMs good or not a lot more at that time, but gradually I grew to feel like they just did not sound very good as I got more used to my Denons at home. Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe I just haven't burned them in enough or something? I noticed the above poster describing the highs as a bit harsh even for the EBs and I doubt the EBs would have more highs than the Pros... I've gone ahead and put them back on to burn in some more, but obviously results will require some time (I like to put in some silence in there from time to time to let them rest so to speak, so this delays the process a little bit.)

Are they just not burned in enough or something, or should I be considering different IEMs that can at least come closer to the sort of response I'm used to from my headphones?

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #33 of 36
Well, could you describe to us what you don't like about their sound? You mentioned the highs sounding a bit harsh - I'd have to agree with Butter123 on that. I find most of the UE products to sound a little too emphasized up there. 100+ hours of burn in should be plenty, so either you have a defective unit, or the sound signature is just something you like.

As for the EB version, it really is just for bassheads. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about being a basshead, but if you want crisp sound, then the EB's aren't for you.

The first time I put them on it was kind of amazing really - I was feeling the sound before I was hearing it. There would be all sorts of psychological things going on too, but the net result was that they just sounded very foreign, but not in a good way. It's been mentioned on these boards that a brand new sound signature is often a novel thing that catches on, but in this case, it was just way too overdone. If a person really likes bass then they should just get headphones anyways IMHO.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, could you describe to us what you don't like about their sound?

I did.

Quote:

You mentioned the highs sounding a bit harsh

I said the opposite.

Quote:

100+ hours of burn in should be plenty, so either you have a defective unit, or the sound signature is just something you like.

Well, if they're defective I'm probably screwed since they were bought third party, even if they were new still in the package at the time. I'm sure there's no way they'd cover that, right? Especially since it has been quite a number of months anyway. I'm going to go ahead and give them a bit more burn-in just to be sure, but I have to admit I thought much the same about the number of hours.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #35 of 36
Sorry, I should have worded that better. I was referring to you mentioning Butter123's comment that the highs were too harsh. I know I certainly find them to be.

Dark, dull, AND muddy eh? Well what Denon headphones are you using (Please don't tell me you already mentioned this!)?

Comparing earphones to headphones is not really a fair comparison IMHO. Your Denons may just be THAT much better.

You might want to find someone else who has the same earphones and do a comparison. Or, if you have any stock earbuds lying around, compare those too. The increase in quality should be quite substantial. If there isn't a large difference, it may not be because you don't like the sound signature. The unit may just be defective.

Sorry for not reading through your last post more thoroughly.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark, dull, AND muddy eh? Well what Denon headphones are you using (Please don't tell me you already mentioned this!)?

I didn't. I'm using the Denon AH-D2000s. They have been MarkL modded and since then I've gone further by recabling with the Mogami W2534 and further still by adding a tiny bit of padding to the insides to further reduce and control the bass. I would definitely describe these headphones as a bit bright. Some artists and tracks can get a bit sibilant at times (especially with some oversampling DACs such as the one in my iBasso D3) though the Mogami cable (and surprisingly the padding) helps a bit.

Quote:

Comparing earphones to headphones is not really a fair comparison IMHO. Your Denons may just be THAT much better.

I 100% agree with this. I don't mean it to be a fair comparison either, just that they feel far too dark now that I'm used to my Denons. Though I perhaps don't mean to compare, it's rather hard not to. I may need to try to better match them somewhat perhaps. The main problem is a bit of a monetary issue... Well, I don't need them to be as good or better, but it's a bit annoying at times. In the meantime I think I'll dig out my old Shure E2Cs. They were a bit better at this much. I don't particularly love their sound (I've found a few things where they can make some things -- such as even someone's voice -- sound kind of unnatural), but every since I found Comply foams at least they no longer sound flat and weak due to a bad seal (I never could get ANY of the stock pads to fit my ears as well as they should have.) They definitely aren't bad, I'll give them that much, but I bought the UEs looking for something better, lol. Also, even with the Complys they hurt (as in the way they go in my ears) but I usually only need them for a little bit at a time anyway.

I suspect that ever finding IEMs that sound as natural and as detailed as these Denons would either be next to impossible or so far beyond my budget that it doesn't matter. Well, that's ok. IEMs are just for on the go to me. Still, they shouldn't sound THAT much worse, lol.

Quote:

You might want to find someone else who has the same earphones and do a comparison.

Sadly, I'm the closest thing to an audiophile of all the people I know. The closest person I've spoken to more than a few times uses BOSE headphones even. There's nothing to compare to.

Quote:

Sorry for not reading through your last post more thoroughly.

It's ok, I got a bit of a laugh at that one. d-:

EDIT: After visiting their site to look at the user guide and watching the video, I realized I wasn't putting them in right. Most IEMs go right in the ear canal. In the worst case, those Shures had to be practically shoved in so deep that an onlooker might not even see them in your ears from most angles. These, by comparison, have to be put in very very loosely. Almost on the edge of falling out even. They still sound dark and synthetic compared to the modified Denons, but at least it's not quite so bad. Of course, this means I do have to rely on that "memory wire" to help hold them in place and I'm not sure how to do that and still fit them in that little metal box that came with them to carry them around without that wire bending every time. (But they don't fit in the Shure case any better.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back