ugh... the cost of text books
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought my books for the semester, 4 classes and I ended up spending $800
frown.gif
I think this is my worst semester so far when it comes to the cost of books.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 34
I always bought the text books when I was an undergrad. Usually I didn't need them (or even open them) as long as I went to class and took notes. What a waste of money.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always bought the text books when I was an undergrad. Usually I didn't need them (or even open them) as long as I went to class and took notes. What a waste of money.

This has been my experience so far, but I know I will continue to buy the "required texts" just in case
rolleyes.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 34
I'm glad my university started requiring students to order/purchase their textbooks through their online bookstore instead of stocking them physically. It gave me the final push I needed to just start buying all my books from Amazon.com and Half.com instead of buying them straight from the bookstore. What would have been a $400 bill this semester for just two books has nicely been halved.

Still feel the sting of my first semester as an undergrad. I had to buy 6 books for 5 classes that semester and the bill for my Physics text and Calculus text alone was $750....

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 34
There is a problem with ordering online unfortunately. You often don't know if the text is required until the first day. If you learn that it is required, you may not have a whole week to wait for shipping. Next best thing is to get it used at the local bookstore.

Of course, one could always email future instructors to ask if the text will be required. That may be the only way to know in time.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 34
I've mostly purchased custom textbooks for the past two years... those suck. But since I'm starting to take major classes now, maybe it shouldn't be much of a problem... Learn about your future classes beforehand and buy early.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 34
This is another good reason to be an English major. In undergrad, I was able to pick up used books for a song. They don't constantly "update" literature to force you to buy the latest version.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #13 of 34
Wait till the first day of class. If you need the book, buy them at your book store. And buy them online. When they arrive the following week, return the book to your book store. Oh yeah, buy used text books since most stores don't accept opened books that were shrink wrapped. My book store has a 10 day return policy when the course starts and a 3 day policy after the first 2 weeks of the semester. Hopefully you have the same thing.

Or don't buy the books at all. I've come to realize that books are required for homework. If you already know that you wont/cant do the homework, no need to buy the textbook.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a problem with ordering online unfortunately. You often don't know if the text is required until the first day. If you learn that it is required, you may not have a whole week to wait for shipping. Next best thing is to get it used at the local bookstore.

This is a prime reason why universities should incorporate a system such as that at the university I went to (University of Alaska Fairbanks). Professors are required to submit the Title and Edition of any required text to the campus book store such that the book store can post the required texts at least 2 weeks in advance of the beginning of the semester. That way students will have time to obtain their books.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought my books for the semester, 4 classes and I ended up spending $800
frown.gif
I think this is my worst semester so far when it comes to the cost of books.

that's just ******** huh

I'm taking accounting and i order most of those books in paperback, international format of the same edition. The only difference between international and American is the use of hardcover for american edition, and no wonder the american one is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back