turntable recommendations?
Jan 26, 2004 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
ive been looking to buy a used turntable for a while now. im still not sure what to get though. im not looking for high end yet i just need something i can play music on. my budget is a strict 100 dollars for the turntable + more for the pre-amp ill need. so far ive been looking at used technics on ebay but it didnt take long for me to realize i have no idea what im doing. can you recommend some brand/model turntables i could probably find used and in good condition [working with needle, belts, arms, etc]. and could your recommend some brands/models that i probably WOULDNT find for 100 used but if i did it would be an awesome deal [besides something outrageously incredible]. i really dont care if it looks great right now as long as it plays with decent quality and will, if in good condition, play at a constant rate.

so far here are the kinds of technics ive found but i dont know anything about them:

sl-bd22
sl-1300
sl-1200 [mk2]
sl-1900
sl-bd2
sl-q2
sl-d2
sl-d35
sl-1210 [mk2]
sl-23
sl-10
sp10 [mk2]
sl-q30

my parents have a technics sl-qx300 and it sounds amazing which is why i was trying to stick with technics. let me know what you think.

thanks in advance

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 34
i think i found a deal on a working and in good condition sl-1300. is 100 used for this a good deal? here is the description:

sl-1300 w/ direct drive [my parents have this but i dont know what it is, i know it has something to do with keeping the rotation speed constant]
shure m95ed cartridge
dust cover is in good condition

all input is helpful as i dont have much time to make my decision =]

thanks again

Jan 28, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 34
You might get more recommendations if this was moved to the Source Forum.......which is where I'll move it now.
biggrin.gif

FWIW, for under $100, I would get this one (if still available):

http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/arXB.html
I honestly don't think you'll get anything better for that price.

Jan 28, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 34
thanks for the move, i actually started a thread in each section but its all good.

ive actually been able to find a few sl-1300s for around 100 bucks that seem to be in good condition which, unless im horribly mistaken, seems to be a better deal.

Jan 28, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 34
beware the technics!

that ARxb is definitly your best bet
those are amazing turntables, simple, easy to use, easy to repair and have the best sound out there at $100...no other competitors.

the ARxb is to turntables what the Fisher 400 is to receivers

also you might be interested in the music hall mf line.
the music hall mf 1 and 2.1 are both very good quality and cheap

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 34
wow this is the first time ive heard anyone warn me about the technics. ive heard of the problems with rumble due to their direct drive system but i also heard with a little work they could be solved.

what does manual turntable mean exactly? i have to set the needle myself?

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 34
Sorry for the hijack but I am intrigued by the ARxb.

Curious how much higher would have to go to equal this quality?

For example, what is the next level up that is more than marginal increase?

This might help put the ARxb value into perspective.

I see alot of 2nd hand turntables while shopping for a CDP and if I see a bargain like this might want to jump on it. I am not a vinyl junkie wannabie, to much work, but wouldn't mind adding to my system for modest invesment and variety. Sorry did not want to start another thread.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 34
thanks for the input actually, im kind of in the same boat. not a vinyl junkie but want a turntable to play the few records i do have. hence looking for an affordable but good sounding player that doesnt require too much maintainence

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 34
I am not sure what your perspective is on maintenance. I was assuming a player with a decent rep, would be rather low maintenance/cost * I am very ignorant in this area BTW.

However, from what little I have read recently the records sound like they will be the main task. Geez some of the cleaners are in excess of $500! Of course there are much cheaper ways too.

For now I am considering budget source and record cleaning.

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 34
Sorry it took me so long to answer! I am not familiar with many of the Technics tables you listed. I am familiar with the direct drive rumble having owned a Technics table back in 77. I can't remember the model - could be that when some RAT stole it and my whole stereo I buried the memory so deep I cannot find it in my mind.
I cannot tell you which is best because I don't know. Sorry!!!

Manual means putting the tonearm on the record and lifting it off at the end.

TOdd

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 34
The AR XB is a later version of the AR XA, the major (only?) differences being a cueing lever (nice touch) was added, and the base is vinyl clad, not walnut.
The AR is completely manual.......you lift the arm on and off the record manually......with the XB, you can use the cuing lever for this operation. Not too difficult, actually.
wink.gif

I have a Technics SL-BD2, and in direct comparison to my AR XA, 1961 vintage, the amount of surface noise that is audible through the speakers is unacceptable (to my ears), probably due to the resonances created by the basically all plastic construction of the Technics.
Here's what Stereophile said in a recent issue citing the 100 most significant components of the last 40 years:
[5]: AR XA turntable
Stereophile review: Summer 1967 (Vol.2 No.5). While it was let down by a poor tonearm and cheap construction, Edgar Villchur's deceptively simple-looking turntable created the formula for almost every high-end turntable introduced in the past 40 years: belt drive and a suspended subchassis both provided low-pass filter action to isolate the stylus/groove interface from, respectively, motor- and loudspeaker-generated vibration.

I really don't think you will find a better sounding turntable for around $100.

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 34
At this price point, you are not so much looking for a particular model. What you need is something in very nice condition without too much stylus wear.
If you could find one of Joelongwood's AR well preserved, that would be excellent.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 34
the ARxb is really great, i'd advise you to pick up that one mentioned in this thread otherwise i will
tongue.gif

technics are great if you're a dj
but you're not.

cleaning and maintaining a record collection is also easy. you can find gold mine deals at garage sales, tag sales, flea markets, record shops etc. and it's way cheaper.

until my stuff go stolen, i had some of the best jazz records in great condition. For instance: Coltrane Blue Train is probably 12 bucks on cd
whereas i picked it up in good condition on vinyl for $4

if you're really serious about the sound of records and cleanliness i reccommend Gruv Glide.
That stuff is really the greatest cleaner ever. It is hands down the best cleaner. I found a Tom Waits "Small Change" record that had been marred with a razor and bought it for a quarter, used Gruv Glide and damn near completely restored the sound. you really hafta try that stuff to believe it. sorry to rant!

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #14 of 34
I like the input. Helping me overcome my vinyl fears, especially maintenance, and spurring my interest.

As far 2nd hand source quality. I was anticipating the turntable w/o stylus or one which would require replacement. Of course this could be part of the bargain or expense. Would be nice if stylus is in decent condition etc... but main concern would be the rest of the mechanism. Well I need to do some homework b4 I bother you folks further.

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 34
Tk Suki,

if you're just getting started, i reccomend getting something that works almost entirely right as soon as you get it.
my first turntable was a Denon DPF-15 and it was great, it was automatic, it had a start and stop button and the only thing i did was add an Audio Technica cartridge, i forget the model, but it's the yellow one and it is the best cartridge for under $100. its only $30 and shames the lower end grados.
some people really dont like the hassel of using a turntable, ie. flipping the record over every 25 minutes, so you might as well not spend too much money to see if you really are a vinyl junkie.
but if you do love it, get ready to spend hours upon hours sifting thru junk stores and garage sales
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back