Tube Newb
Jun 8, 2006 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,

I am soon going to be making a purchase of a Ming Da MC66-AE.

Now, prior to this I have had no experience with tube based amps. Thanks to head-fi I've established that for the input stage which is 12ax7 tubs can be replaced by 5751 tubes which although lower gain are nicer sounding (also I believe the amp itself is quite powerful).

At the output stage I've been told the 6N6 can be replaced by the 6H6N. There is relatively little information about either of these.

Through some extensive reading I've read that NOS are really sough after, though I don't know if i'm at that stage just yet both in terms of money and effort to track down and pay top dollar for some NOS tubes.

I guess I'm just after some recommendations for new style tubes still being produced today or even older ones that are readily available and that won't break the bank, of course in preference to sound quality - but again, from my reading I've deduced that synergy with tubes is moreso important than with solid state.

Would love to hear everyone's impressions on their experiences, in particular Ming Da but anyone whose used these types of tubes.

Thanks in advance,

d-cee

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, tube rolling has its benefits. However, have you considered listening to the amp stock for awhile? You might as well. After a few months, you'll begin to figure out what you like and whether or not you'd want to change anything. If you're looking to spend money, buy more music or a different source. If you've never tried vinyl, get a turntable. Or maybe a good FM tuner. More music/options always has a bigger impact on my enjoyment than any component.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Tube Tyro...
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 4
The 12az7 is the driver or preamp tube so fortunately changing it will probably have a bigger effect than changing the other tubes. Those other tubes are fairly rare but you can probably hunt some down.

Good luck with your 'rolling. Make sure you give the amp a good chance with the stock tubes before you start rolling so you know what you're comparing it to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back