Tube Audio Design has some great gear for cheap!
Nov 3, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what the 805sd's use basically limits the power going to the tweeter I guess. Yet it doesn't state the center having that or a crossover.

Ah, gotcha...

Considering that the tweeter in a high-end speaker is usually designed to play back everything from 2.5 kHz and up, I don't know if I'd trust the 1/10th ratio to sound accurate. Not to mention that removing the crossover creates an inefficient design, since both drivers will be receiving full-range signals (thus resulting in harmonic distortion).

Just like single-driver DIY designs, these speakers may sound good or interesting to some, but if accuracy is a concern, they probably should be avoided.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, gotcha...

Considering that the tweeter in a high-end speaker is usually designed to play back everything from 2.5 kHz and up, I don't know if I'd trust the 1/10th ratio to sound accurate. Not to mention that removing the crossover creates an inefficient design, since both drivers will be receiving full-range signals (thus resulting in harmonic distortion).

Just like single-driver DIY designs, these speakers may sound good or interesting to some, but if accuracy is a concern, they probably should be avoided.
tongue.gif

I wonder if that is something a pre fab crossover from parts express would fix? If I get them I would be replacing Cerwin Vega surrounds, they are good for surround but that is it they do nothing for me in 5 ch stereo. Where as I am thinking these would cover a better frequency range The enclosures alone look like they are worth close to the price listed in terms of asthetics.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

I wonder if that is something a pre fab crossover from parts express would fix? ... The enclosures alone look like they are worth close to the price listed in terms of asthetics.

That might help... The only way to know for sure is to buy them, add crossovers, and test them out. Even if you find that you don't like them, you can use the enclosures for a DIY project and add some different woofers and tweeters.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

I wonder if that is something a pre fab crossover from parts express would fix? If I get them I would be replacing Cerwin Vega surrounds, they are good for surround but that is it they do nothing for me in 5 ch stereo. Where as I am thinking these would cover a better frequency range The enclosures alone look like they are worth close to the price listed in terms of asthetics.

Listen to me carefully.

Go buy as many of these as you need and do not look back. They are really fine sounding speakers even with my X-Fi as a source and a 24 year old NAD 2100 amp.

When I get my Ori back and the TAD-60 amp there will be budget audio Nirvana I am positive.

They are psuedo single driver speakers as far as I can tell. the tweet is only 10% of the sound just giving an edge to the cymbals etc. It is a FULL range driver reaching strongly down to 40hz. I played Gorillaz, Slow Country and they pounded!! Not using the sub even they absolutely shook the house! For big bookshelves they are simply an amazing deal. I sold my Stax to buy a better amp for these and I LOVED my Stax lol.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #65 of 83
I think I am gonna do it today or tomorrow. $567 shipped for the 805SD, Sub, center, I can sell my old center and surrounds for $50-75 I am guessing. I should just unload all my unused speakers and stuff probably make a decent amount of money.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

I think I am gonna do it today or tomorrow. $567 shipped for the 805SD, Sub, center, I can sell my old center and surrounds for $50-75 I am guessing. I should just unload all my unused speakers and stuff probably make a decent amount of money.

You will not regret it. That is some kind of deal there considering that the 805s alone could retail for that much lol.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #67 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not regret it. That is some kind of deal there considering that the 805s alone could retail for that much lol.

After reading all the reviews on his amps and well they are all glowing saying its the best you can buy for the money.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #68 of 83
Yeah I am getting a TAD-60 this month. I will probably get the Pre-amp/dac too. Really good, old school quality builds.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #69 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I am getting a TAD-60 this month. I will probably get the Pre-amp/dac too. Really good, old school quality builds.

Well Scratch that I went to buy and everything jumped up $100 in price. I am pretty bummed out now I really wanted to get these.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #70 of 83
Emailed Paul and got a reply with This link I guess some people have been accusing him of being a white van guy so he made their dreams come true. So I bought them. Yay

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #71 of 83
a buddy of mine got the 805 speakers a few days ago after I read this link. He has them hooked up to a linn majik and matching cd player..genko or something like that.

First off, they look very nice although you can see where corners were cut to reduce the price. The banana plugs on the rear are not really ideal as they are up high (wasting cable) and also angled upwards creating an unnatural bend in the cable. The plastic base the tweeter is mounted on looks cheap and doesn't match the rest of the speaker (he got black)

anyways, at first we thought they sounded a bit muddy and couldn't tell much of a difference with the little switch on the rear.

after about three hours of continuous moderate volume play they really opened up and I must admit we were both very impressed. I can't wait to hear them again and see how they change over time.

on the switch, while we could hear a difference we couldn't really decide which we preferred.

for the price I really don't think you'll find better sounding speakers. were i to listen ignorantly I could easily be convinced they cost far, far more.

I plan on getting some now after hearing them and using my 0404 as a preamp hooked up to a power amp.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Emailed Paul and got a reply with This link I guess some people have been accusing him of being a white van guy so he made their dreams come true. So I bought them. Yay

lol..What is that? That's funny!

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #73 of 83
I'd be hesitant to buy from TAD simply because his prices seem to change so often. I wouldn't want to be the guy who paid $389 for the 805SDs only to have them sell for 50% less a few days later. The price of everything seems to be on a steady increase. For example, the Ironlung Jellyfish was two for $29.99 at the time of markl's power cord shoot-out. Then, it was two for $39.99. Now, it's one for $29.99. Not so cool...

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #74 of 83
looking at them they appear to be a nice looking version of a DIY single driver speaker. They're probably pretty good for the price, but I find it hard to believe they're a giant killer. If they were then there would be more reviews

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #75 of 83
You will find that emailing Paul with any pricing concerns usually ends up in your favor.

The 805s are NOT giant killers lol. They are extraordinarily good for the $$ though. Yes they are basically single drivers with the tweeter doing the top 10%(I think) of the highs only.

Paul is a good guy with a GREAT sense of humor and really good products for a decent price.

His amps are actually reviewed and very highly thought of on audiogon. The speaker thing is very new and in development. Fit and finish is good enough for Wife Approval too lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back