TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #346 of 1,582
Would you mind describing in more detail how you feel they change the sound?

OS100 gives a slightly increased bass response (probably +2db) with no loss of fidelity & detail to my ears.
OS200 gives a fair amount of increased bass response (~+4db) with little loss of detail and fidelity. IMO these are perfect to make any neutral IEM learn towards the warmer side.
OS300... man, if you need the OS300 you picked the wrong IEM lol. Muffles the sound, not as much increase in bass as you'd expect if you follow the pattern. 
All three give a feeling of a flat increase, not partial towards sub-bass or mid-bass.

What I use all of these the most for though is IEMs with short nozzles. The damper creates a spacing effect on the nozzle to where you get a deeper insertion. What's kind of funny about these in the PM4 is that if you use a damped filter, the sound actually gets funneled through 3 different "filter stages". I picked up all three on amazon for I think $13. Definitely a huge pickup at that price. If you have to go through aliexpress, I'd skip the OS300.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #347 of 1,582
For those interested in the Ostry filter tips: https://www.amazon.com/OSTRY-OS100-OS200-Earphone-Turning/dp/B010WMDJDK/

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #348 of 1,582
Well I had emailed the guys at trinity asking which i should try between the Master and the ICARUS III i should try, with my preferences being balanced, fun, and flexible of the two. I do listen to more alternative rock, and prefer warmer sound since my ears are quite sensitive to overly bright and analytical phones (Grado's nearly killed my ears).

Jake suggested I try the ICARUS III  with the reason being that it "offers more 3D sound and is more organic and lifelike in its presentation", which sounds good to me. Hopefully this can help anyone deciding between the two. I'm giving these preorders a shot out of pure curiosity, i've never bought IEM's before reading reviews before.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #349 of 1,582
I just ordered both to compare and will offer the one I don't like up for sale.  With the discount offers, it was actually doable.

BTW, I am really enjoying the sound of the Sabres I was able to snap up from Trinity recently.  I just have two different sized ear canals and need to find cooperative eartips.
Does anyone know what "Number" Comply Tip will fit the Sabre, Master, and Icarus III..?  I know they come with foam tips but I want to play around with the different types that Comply offers.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #350 of 1,582
I just ordered both to compare and will offer the one I don't like up for sale.  With the discount offers, it was actually doable.

BTW, I am really enjoying the sound of the Sabres I was able to snap up from Trinity recently.  I just have two different sized ear canals and need to find cooperative eartips.
Does anyone know what "Number" Comply Tip will fit the Sabre, Master, and Icarus III..?  I know they come with foam tips but I want to play around with the different types that Comply offers.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

All trinity iem's use the same filter size AFAIK, which looks to me like a t-400/500 tip. But I don't own any, so I couldn't say...

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #351 of 1,582

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

I don't know about the Icarus but the Sabres and PM4 use 400 size.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #352 of 1,582
All trinity iem's use the same filter size AFAIK, which looks to me like a t-400/500 tip. But I don't own any, so I couldn't say...

I was thinking it was probably the 400 but didn't want to jump the gun until I had more info...

I don't know about the Icarus but the Sabres and PM4 use 400 size.

That helps a lot, thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #353 of 1,582
All the new Trinity might use the same tips, but that wasn't true in the past. The original Atlas used skinnier filters, because some people had trouble with the fatter filters on a different model. So the filters mostly affected bass. There was little or no high frequency damping. Think the Sabre was supposed to use same filter size. Should have bought the Sabre for those special longer filters.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #354 of 1,582
All the new Trinity might use the same tips, but that wasn't true in the past. The original Atlas used skinnier filters, because some people had trouble with the fatter filters on a different model. So the filters mostly affected bass. There was little or no high frequency damping. Think the Sabre was supposed to use same filter size. Should have bought the Sabre for those special longer filters.

They come in handy for me.  I need the longer filters to get the best seal.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #355 of 1,582
They come in handy for me.  I need the longer filters to get the best seal.
The longer filters were a huge improvement vs the shorter ones, but still can't get enough isolation for listening in a restaurant (amazingly loud places). I've even tried taping over the little hole on the side of the filter (for bass, I'd guess) to try to keep out more noise. I keep trying... since I really enjoy the Sabre's sound.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #356 of 1,582

But shouldn't all new models have same sized filters though?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #357 of 1,582
But shouldn't all new models have same sized filters though?

Would be nice, but I see a possible problem. If the filters are all interchangeable between new models, owners with multiple Trinity IEMs, had better keep track of which filter set goes which IEM! I doubt filters are sonically interchangeable from one model to the next. That would likely require all current Trinity IEMs to have a similar tuning. They haven't been described that way. Also doubt the filters are marked for which IEM they match. Madness lies in this direction.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #360 of 1,582
Maybe I just don't understand the filters, but the size of the ports should affect the bass and the damping should reduce treble.  I guess they could be individually tuned for each new iem, but I would suspect that they are all identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back