Trends in IEM tech
Apr 5, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
From a few years ago to now I think we're seeing a few trends in IEM tech which might carry into the future:

1. The rise in quality of Dynamic drivers at every price point. Starting with the IE8 and now the new Monster MD/MTPC and golds and others, we now have top-tier dynamic driver iems competing with BA earphones. Chinese company made dynamics are successfully competing at other price points and companies like Klipsch and even Etymolic have introduced dynamic driver 'phones at <$100 price points.

2.Multi-driver BA phones, particularly at higher price points. I don't think we'll be seeing too many more single driver BA phones like the PFE or Image X10 in the future.

3. The advent of Moving Armature earphones. For now, only two companies use this technology. I wonder if we'll see other companies try these out. Did we ever figure out the relationship between the drivers used in the Grado and Ortofon 'phones?

4. [please point out some other trends for the future of iems]

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 23
I don't really care what technology those companies are applying, as long as phones sound good to my ears
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really care what technology those companies are applying, as long as phones sound good to my ears
tongue.gif

Would you say SQ is improving?

It seems like the answer would have to be yes at all price points, however, the ER4p has been around for quite some time and people still like it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say SQ is improving?

It seems like the answer would have to be yes at all price points, however, the ER4p has been around for quite some time and people still like it.

I have yet to try the Ety's, but they are certainly strong competitors, and like you said, I believe that there are people who prefer the ER4 to the nowadays top-tier.

I won't say that new innovation in making IEMs equal to improvement of sound quality, in my opinion it is just different approach of those IEM's makers to produce sound. However these innovation are certainly good for marketting purpose
biggrin.gif

As for custom, I have never tried any but would like to get a pair for myself oneday. Although people do say that there is a big leap from top universal to JH13, I personally find it hard to believe, because I am quite satisfied with what IE8, CK10, and TF10 give me
regular_smile .gif
If customs do really improve much compared to universals, then I will be in heaven if I got custom oneday
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 23
I think that SQ is improving but there are drastic changes in how that SQ is made. Balanced armatures, multi driver IEMs.... different shapes and sizes of housings (Westone 3, Triple.Fi, RE 252s...) are all things that are being experimented with and used to change the sound.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to try the Ety's, but they are certainly strong competitors, and like you said, I believe that there are people who prefer the ER4 to the nowadays top-tier.

I won't say that new innovation in making IEMs equal to improvement of sound quality, in my opinion it is just different approach of those IEM's makers to produce sound. However these innovation are certainly good for marketting purpose
biggrin.gif

As for custom, I have never tried any but would like to get a pair for myself oneday. Although people do say that there is a big leap from top universal to JH13, I personally find it hard to believe, because I am quite satisfied with what IE8, CK10, and TF10 give me
regular_smile .gif
If customs do really improve much compared to universals, then I will be in heaven if I got custom oneday
tongue_smile.gif

Definitely man! The top-end universal demo I tried (JH13) blows the high-end universals I've tried (TF10, E530, Westone 3, IE8).

I found the high-end universals to be smaller upgrade from my current IEM the bottom-tier Westone UM1 when compared to the leap from high-end universals to the universal JH13. The JH13 was just leagues apart and miles ahead. Now whether you want to be walking around with IEMs worth a grand in your pocket all the time is another matter altogether
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 23
Well if I had IEMs worth a grand they would always be in my ears; not my pocket
smily_headphones1.gif

But yea.... I would stay away from any bridges (walking) or fountains while carrying some.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a few years ago to now I think we're seeing a few trends in IEM tech which might carry into the future:

1. The rise in quality of Dynamic drivers at every price point. Starting with the IE8 and now the new Monster MD/MTPC and golds and others, we now have top-tier dynamic driver iems competing with BA earphones. Chinese company made dynamics are successfully competing at other price points and companies like Klipsch and even Etymolic have introduced dynamic driver 'phones at <$100 price points.

2.Multi-driver BA phones, particularly at higher price points. I don't think we'll be seeing too many more single driver BA phones like the PFE or Image X10 in the future.

3. The advent of Moving Armature earphones. For now, only two companies use this technology. I wonder if we'll see other companies try these out. Did we ever figure out the relationship between the drivers used in the Grado and Ortofon 'phones?

4. [please point out some other trends for the future of iems]

5. Wooden Diaphragms JVC

6. Silver plated cables from factory Orto

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. Wooden Diaphragms JVC

6. Silver plated cables from factory Orto

Oh yeah! Wooden housings are becoming more coming. The Thinksound iems have them too.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question, why house the IEMs in wood? Besides for aesthetics what would be the reason? Or is there one?

A distinctive sound signature?

Hardwood is also durable and better for the environment.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 23
Analixus was talking about wooden diaphragm, and not housing. JVC has been selling these for some time now and they're supposed to improve the sound. I haven't heard them though, just saw the models.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchbat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Analixus was talking about wooden diaphragm, and not housing. JVC has been selling these for some time now and they're supposed to improve the sound. I haven't heard them though, just saw the models.

Oh, yes, the sake-based technology.

Hmm, not sure that will be taken on by other companies.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 23
Agreed.

These new dynamic earphones kick some serious but. My most recent surprise has been my new (used) RE252. The street price just doesn't match it's quality of sound. There's just been more and more balance and breadth out of these things.

Yeah, I can't see using single BA earphones much. Although earphones like the ER4, PFE, SA6, etc. all do very well, multi-driver setups simply are quite advantageous just like you don't see single driver home or car audio. It's simply better with more drivers covering the spectrum much better. Pricing for the hardware is affordable enough where multi-driver setups should become more and more affordable.

One trend I want to add is the expansion of companies in the head-fi market. There's just a ton of new companies popping up. We're really starting to see a huge slew of selection at all price points. A lot of the good choices out there are no longer the old mainstays.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 23
The biggest trend in Japan is cute and fashionable IEMs for the female market.
If you go into the large electronic stores like Bic Camera or Yodabashi, these cute and fashionable IEMs probably represent the largest selection.

As for SQ no doubt it is getting better as represented by the FX700 which is heads and shoulders above the 500.

And as is with all consumer electronic technology, you can get IEMs for 70 or 80 dollars that surpass the SQ of other IEMs that cost much more just a couple of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back