Jan 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,141 of 6,404
Quote:
Lucky for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Post some further impression about RWAK after a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

RWAK????

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,142 of 6,404
Red Wine Audio AK100. Its a modded AK100 that resolves the stupid output impedance that dumb-iRiver messed up on. I should have mine sometime next week as well :wink:.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,143 of 6,404
Hey hey, V-ZERO here again to do another impression-comparison, but this time on two DAPs!

In the blue corner, the iriver Astell and Kern AK100! 22 ohms of impedance and 22 kilos of hate!
In the red corner, the Red Wine Audio modified iriver Astell and Kern RWAK100! <1ohm of impedance and a relative newbie!

The only thing in common? Color, and the fact I'll be using the new Tralucent Audio 1plus2 Hybrid Universal IEM with nice shiny gold cables... Also no EQ and all files are FLAC 16/44.1 unless otherwise stated.

Are you ready? Don't forget to hit below the belt! FIGHT!

Track 1: "Something About Us", Balance and the Traveling Sounds - Jazz
RWAK100: I first listened to this song on my MacBook Pro running Fidelia and coming out of an Audioquest Dragonfly.

I will say this now:
The RWAK100 surpasses that aural experience. I'm saying this as someone who totally loves the Dragonfly and how it sounds with these IEMs. The soundstage feels taller, and the instruments sound closer to you, more intimate. Great DAP, this thing is (yodaspeek ftw).

I love how the music just glides across this huge soundstage, it really feels like a wide open space. Drums sound nice and tight (they really sound like drums), the cymbals crash really nicely, the bass can be felt really well, and overall I'm really liking this DAP.

AK100: As the track begins I note that the volume has to be set at around 54-55 mark before I think the DAP's at a listenable level. On the RWAK the volume level was at 49-50 for me.

Listening to the track again I can note for sure the music seems farther away, the drums sound a bit loose, and the cymbals are a little broken at higher parts. Bass is more felt than heard, in this DAP.

RWAK100 wins.

Moving on:
Track 2: "Some Nights", fun. - Pop
AK100: The vocals are what I check on with this track, and if you didn't really know the track you'd say it was fine.

But after the first part of the chorus finishes I note that there's a lack of imaging on the other voices, especially the voices at the back of the group performing. I switch to the RWAK...

RWAK100: Vocals on this DAP are really nice. The soundstage is definitely wider on this DAP. It feels like its enveloping you as opposed to the AK100 which makes it feel like the artist/s is/are performing in front of you.

RWAK100 wins.

Track 3: "Angel With A Shotgun", The Cab - Pop Rock
RWAK100: The dreaded sibilance test:

Amazingly enough, the sibilance isn't that bad. Its there, but not bothersome. Maybe its the IEMs as well.

AK100: A little more tame, but about the same level of sibilance, with the AK100 winning this round, but not by a lot. Maybe its the 22 ohms saving my ears from sonic rape. :xf_eek:

AK100 wins.

Track 4: "Drama Queen", Family Force 5 - Rap Rock
AK100: Boom boom bass. Boom boom bass. I can hear it but I can't feel it.

RWAK100: Boom boom bass. Boom boom bass. Oh yeah, that's punchy.

RWAK100 wins. hands down.

Track 5: "Beethoven's 5 Secrets", The Piano Guys - Classical
RWAK100: Strings are really well rendered, very intimate and emotional. 

AK100: Strings feel more distant. I should note I'm putting the AK100 to 57 volume now to hear things. All in all it sounds pretty much alike, until the other instruments come in. The cymbals feel muted.

RWAK100 wins.

Track 6: "The Root of All Evil", Dream Theater - Progressive Metal
AK100: I can't shake the feeling that the cymbals could be more than they are right now. Everything else sounds about right...

RWAK100: This is metal. Totally metal. I can't stress enough what I had said before, the music sounds like it surrounds you on the RWAK100 as compared to the "performance" that the AK100 gives. The cymbals now sound like individual hits than one long cymbal hit, which adds more texture to the drums as well.

RWAK100 wins.

All in all I'd say that the AK100 would've been a winner, if only they cleaned up the 22 ohm thing. Too bad! I guess I'd have to award the V-ZERO seal of approval to the RWAK100. One amazing little "fix" by a third party changes quite a bit. Though I am happy with the AK100, I have to say I'm happier with the RWAK100. Finally all the pros of the AK100 in a package that isn't 22 ohms!

Now we wait for the firmware upgrade for ALAC support and Gapless playback and we're good!

Big thank you to Vinnie (the man!) Rossi over at Red Wine Audio for the RWAK100 and e-earphone over in Tokyo for the AK100. I hope to deal with both again soon :)

Hope this little comparison helps guys :) been fun trying them both out... But now I'm pooped.

Next: HDP-R10 vs RWAK100?

NOTE: I'll be posting this on the AK100 thread as well...

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,144 of 6,404
Sweet! I'm very much looking forward to your DX100 comparisons. I'll be doing the same :wink:. Look whose lurking in the shadows? :p. lol

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,147 of 6,404
Quote:
If things goes well, you guys may just convince me to hop on the AK100 train.

Maybe, If I can make it, I will take the same train...
popcorn.gif
.....care to share a cabin?

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,148 of 6,404
I don't have the time to peruse this whole thread, but does anyone know where one can try out the 1plus2 in Hong Kong?

I was at the Hollywood Plaza Mingo shop earlier today auditioning the FitEar 334, but they hadn't heard of the 1plus2/Tralucent....

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,149 of 6,404
Quote:
I don't have the time to peruse this whole thread, but does anyone know where one can try out the 1plus2 in Hong Kong?

I was at the Hollywood Plaza Mingo shop earlier today auditioning the FitEar 334, but they hadn't heard of the 1plus2/Tralucent....

I'm not sure, I've only been able to try the 1plus2 over at the Tokyo Headphone Festival last August...

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,150 of 6,404

Please contact Gavin , he live in Hong Kong as well , you can set up time with Gavin to audition his Tralucent 1+2

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,154 of 6,404
Quote:
just a quick question: Should I try to push the 1Plus2 more inside to get a proper fit?
The soundstages start to get more wider and more spacious... 

I tend to leave my tips on the tip of the nozzle instead of pushing it deep on the IEM itself. Could be tip related though since I'm waiting on the orthofons to see if that does the trick. I'd prefer a deeper fit but strangely enough the sound stage is bigger and more to my liking with them sticking out a bit further :p.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,155 of 6,404
Quote:
I tend to leave my tips on the tip of the nozzle instead of pushing it deep on the IEM itself. Could be tip related though since I'm waiting on the orthofons to see if that does the trick. I'd prefer a deeper fit but strangely enough the sound stage is bigger and more to my liking with them sticking out a bit further :p.

Yes, even when you have a deep insert, the soundstage remains the same but also much fuller sound. I'm using the small sized ortofon tips right now.
I just realized that 1plus2 really requires a run-in time. It improves dramatically because the sound is much more impressive comparing the sound that I received right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back