Trade for the Perfect player in the world ---Hisound’s Studio 3rd Anniversary edition
Jan 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #721 of 795
That sounds like a good idea DigitalFreak.

Danny if you notice this happening on the same tracks then I suggest you give what DigitalFreak had mentioned a try. I had some issues with certain tracks in FLAC. Like on my expose" rip the tracks would take like 10+ seconds to star playing and would freeze the player when selecting them. So I blew them back up to WAV and re-encoded them back to FLAC and the problem was gone :).

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #722 of 795
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea DigitalFreak.

Danny if you notice this happening on the same tracks then I suggest you give what DigitalFreak had mentioned a try. I had some issues with certain tracks in FLAC. Like on my expose" rip the tracks would take like 10+ seconds to star playing and would freeze the player when selecting them. So I blew them back up to WAV and re-encoded them back to FLAC and the problem was gone :).

This player doesn't play FLAC though, right?
Most of the files that I had problems with were converted from FLAC to WAV

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #723 of 795
Quote:
This player doesn't play FLAC though, right?
Most of the files that I had problems with were converted from FLAC to WAV

Yes it does Danny lol :). Just it really does sound a little bit better with WAV. But if you decide to use FLAC use 0 compression on the files when you encode them. BTW what program did you use to do the conversion? Maybe you can try just go back to the FLAC files and see if you get the same problems. If not maybe that program you used may have had some bearing on your issues....

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #724 of 795
Quote:
Yes it does Danny lol :). Just it really does sound a little bit better with WAV. But if you decide to use FLAC use 0 compression on the files when you encode them. BTW what program did you use to do the conversion? Maybe you can try just go back to the FLAC files and see if you get the same problems. If not maybe that program you used may have had some bearing on your issues....

I think it's called music converter.  Free for Mac.  I think I kept the original FLAC files too, so I'll just try using those.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #725 of 795
What Lee said. The FLAC/WAV difference is also not unique to this player. It will depend on how critical you are and revealing the kit. XLD is great for MAC. For those that have used the wrong tagging on their flac files, this is from the Soundforge flac page. Like Lee has noted, they're not difficult to change but...

"As a convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Note however that the FLAC specification does not require compliant implementations to support ID3 in any form and their use is strongly discouraged."

It will work fine with one of those but it's not part of the flac spec.

Since flac is open code, sometimes an encoder gets a 'better idea', tweaks the algorithm and it becomes not fully compatible. Usually decompressing and using a different encoder cures it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #726 of 795
Quote:
What Lee said. The FLAC/WAV difference is also not unique to this player. It will depend on how critical you are and revealing the kit. XLD is great for MAC. For those that have used the wrong tagging on their flac files, this is from the Soundforge flac page. Like Lee has noted, they're not difficult to change but...

"As a convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Note however that the FLAC specification does not require compliant implementations to support ID3 in any form and their use is strongly discouraged."

It will work fine with one of those but it's not part of the flac spec.

Since flac is open code, sometimes an encoder gets a 'better idea' tweeks the algorythm and it becomes not fully compatable. Usually decompressing and using a different encoder cures it.

Thanks for this goodvibes.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #727 of 795
Let us know if that works for you :). Although I still have a feeling it is the player. Unless ID tags can somehow trickle down into WAV files?

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #730 of 795
I'm also finding leaving the Studio V on for extended period of time seems to further improve the sound. Also having the player stop playing a song upon switching tracks, not pause. Pretty much I hold the middle button to get back to the top menu. Once I back at the very top (resource menu or now playing) I'll hold the middle button for a second or so and do this twice which will stop the current track from playing. Then if I go to another folder and such I think it sounds better for some reason opposed to just randomly switching through various folders. I've noticed this for quite some time with the player sounding different depending on how you access music. I think even leaving the IEM plugged in before fully powering it on has in impact.....

Turning the BTN button off gives you a more spacious sound. The mids slightly go further back and aren't as intimate  but with BTN you get a more up close and personal take on the mids. The overall sound stage is slightly more intimate with BTN enabled IMO. Very noticeable to my ears....

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #731 of 795
Quote:
So anyway, Noisy Motel are unsympathetic to my situation. They maintain that the player is not at fault, while I maintain that it is a fault, and that the product has falsely advertised specs (the problem with MP3 tags or SD card compatibility, is not mentioned on their website). I will pursue the matter with Australian Fair Trading (you Americans enjoy much better customer service and return policies it would seem). If you don't want to dick around with SD card and MP3 tag issues,  I would not buy this product. This player has , shall we say, "twitchy" reliability. I would also advise against dealing with Noisy Motel period.  

We've done our best to help you in your situation while we've been closed. Our website clearly shows our holiday trading hours.  We advised you that we'll respond to you on our return from our break and we've offered you a refund.

You mentioned the 8Gb SD card was fine, so it lead us to assume your other cards were the cause.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #735 of 795
Quote:
We've done our best to help you in your situation while we've been closed. Our website clearly shows our holiday trading hours.  We advised you that we'll respond to you on our return from our break and we've offered you a refund.

You mentioned the 8Gb SD card was fine, so it lead us to assume your other cards were the cause.

When I initially approached you regarding this problem you point blank REFUSED to refund . You changed your tune a bit when I threatened to take the matter to Fair Trading.I still maintain that your customer service standards ( and that of other retailers in Australia) lag behind those of operators in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back