Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,106 of 10,312
Quote:

I must have missed that.....I don't see it on ebay or on your web page.  When did you start offering the SPC/silver plated copper type 2 litz in your cables,  Which cables, I guess I'm confused

It's the White Widow. It was menthoned on the thread some time ago, we had a contest for someone to pick the name. I have not listed it yet. They are quite well priced.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,107 of 10,312
It's the White Widow. It was menthoned on the thread some time ago, we had a contest for someone to pick the name. I have not listed it yet. They are quite well priced.

And the one who came up with the name 'white widow' won a white widow cable..the lucky basterd :D

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #3,108 of 10,312
Quote:
Quote:

I must have missed that.....I don't see it on ebay or on your web page.  When did you start offering the SPC/silver plated copper type 2 litz in your cables,  Which cables, I guess I'm confused

I did a thread search, looks like just after the first of the year.....I haven't read the whole thread, I guess I haven't read anyones comparisons between the White Widow and the other cables?  Can someone post how this cable sounds compared to the other cables offered?

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3,109 of 10,312
Frank, I want to get a HD600 and an 8 foot copper cable. I was wondering if after time they turn green from oxidization? 

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,112 of 10,312
Quote:
Frank, I want to get a HD600 and an 8 foot copper cable. I was wondering if after time they turn green from oxidization? 

Copper cables can last a very long time without any oxidation. Depends on how well the wire is made and the insulation extruded on. But 3-4 years down the line, it can happen, sooner in some climates or not at all in others.  so to avoid this, it's best to go for Litz wire. I do offer the Scorpion with translucent black insulation.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #3,113 of 10,312
My SPC cable I made is going green after only 2 months :frowning2: (DIY made, not Frank's fault, his cables are awesome and I love them)
My copper one is fine though.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #3,115 of 10,312
Quote:
My SPC cable I made is going green after only 2 months :frowning2: (DIY made, not Frank's fault, his cables are awesome and I love them)
My copper one is fine though.

The best thing to do when making a cable and sealing the ends, is to heat up the ends of the wire with a soldering iron, let the ends of the insulation melt on to the wire like that and create a seal. The iron need to be set to a high temperature, at lower temp, this will just cause the insulation to melt and roll back on itself, exposing more wire, with a high temp, it will cause the wire to melt quickly on to the wire, this way you will have an airtight seal at the ends. If using solder to help heat the wire, make sire it one that had no added flux, otherwise the flux will get in between the wire and insulation, which will stop the insulation from sticking to the wire. 
I will take a guess and say the the greening happened at one of the ends of the cable and not the middle, the culprit would be air getting in to the wire. 
When you use a lighter, this will not melt the insulation to stick on the wire, and once the insulation cools down, it hardens and it's actually worse off then it originally was, if you had done nothing. Hot glue will not give you an airtight seal neither.

Next time, try what i suggested.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #3,116 of 10,312
Thanks frank!

See, great customer service and helpful tips for the future.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #3,119 of 10,312
The copper on my cable turn green after one month because i live in high humidity place but im very relieved that frank said that its ok and will not affect sound quality.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #3,120 of 10,312
Quote:
The copper on my cable turn green after one month because i live in high humidity place but im very relieved that frank said that its ok and will not affect sound quality.

Oxidation will not effect sound quality in the slightest. Humidity and sweat can be one of the worst culprits. With IEM cables especially, if you get sweat on it, wipe the cable down with  very slightly damp cloth after every use. I do this after every use.

Litz wire has been a life saver when it comes to oxidation and i highly recommend it to everyone, it's also only slightly more expensive then the standard wire and in 10 years, it will look just as good as the first day you bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back