[TOUR] Cayin N6 - DAP Australian / New Zealand Tour Impressions
Aug 27, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #76 of 93
I haven't listened to N6 with headphones yet, but I was listening from the Digital out of N6 through my home dac, NAD M51 and Fostex studio monitors, it never ceases to amaze me how dap's sound different to each other through their digital out's, it represent's an area which many people don't pay much attention to despite it's major effect on the rest of the audio chain, aka the audio processing and signal being sent to the dac is somewhat represented by the digital out performance just as the line out performance is somewhat representing the dac's performance + audio processing.

The N6 has a very airy and balanced sound through the digital out, I can instantly tell that the N6 is very refined in sound. My reference quality in digital out's is my P90SD, it has a much louder digital out than the N6, not sure how this works, but I need to substantially turn up the volume of the NAD M51 with the N6, by 10dB versus the P90SD. P90SD has a 'meatier' sound, while N6 is softer and refined, with the N6 you can clearly hear all the texture and detail, it surpasses digital out of DX90 for example, in pretty much all aspects, but with the P90SD it's like you can almost taste and 'feel' the texture, rather than just hear it, if that makes sense
biggrin.gif
 The N6 does have a bigger sound stage, but I feel the P90SD is better in aspects that are hard to describe relating to 'groove' and 'feel', the P90SD get's me dancing, or get's me emotional, the N6 doesn't do this for me.

Let me re-iterate that I feel the N6 digital out to be very technically competent, it is better than sources like DX90, X5ii, where you can instantly hear the where there could be improvements, N6 is on same level as P90SD from a sound quality perspective, but the only things missing are the things that are hard to put into words that I was talking about before, and honestly this could be due to the pairing of NAD M51 and Fostex studio monitors which are both quite sterile, the N6 is also a bit sterile, so it might not be the best pairing, and I can imagine it would sound phenomenal paired with something warmer and more euphonic as N6 has technical ability in spades.

Bottom line, I feel like the N6 digital out performance is on par with P90SD from a technical standpoint, and surpasses DX90, but it's sound just doesn't get me emotionally involved like P90SD. It might come down to preference and pairing in the end.

This probably isn't much help to people as my thoughts are rather haphazardly written down, but I just randomly felt like describing the digital out performance lolol.

quick pics

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #77 of 93
I'm listening to the N6 now through HO, with Ultrasone IQ Pro, but first I gotta say I would probably not buy the N6 purely because of it's low usability, the UI lags and it feels awkward in hand, don't like using N6 one bit. In saying that it's not like the usability is overall worse than my P90SD, (The P90SD UI is quick, does not lag, but it has limited features and accessibility).

Onto the sound, it does sound very good, very effortless, airy, balanced, honestly nothing is lacking from a technical standpoint. How it compares to other dap's in a nutshell:

DX90 (fw2.3) has a bit more heft to the sound than N6 (fw3) which has a lighter touch but details are easier heard and sound stage is bigger. N6 sounds more controlled but DX90 might convey energy a little better. Imo The win goes to N6 in nearly all areas though. 

Hum- has a deeper sound stage, but less coherence compared to N6, while N6 has wider airier sound stage. On hum the vocals are authoritative and clean, the bass is controlled but still hit's hard. Overall hum has more heft than N6, like DX90, but a more forward signature than DX90, hum has good tonality in it's vocals. The treble of hum sounds a little splashy compared to the N6 which has absolute control. Overall I feel the N6 is technically better than hum in every way, except maybe vocal tonality.

P90SD- has the most different sound out of all these daps, a very small centered sound stage where sounds bloom outward, I would wager most would not like it for this reason. But, the bass is the most rounded and controlled, yet the most 'solid' out of all these daps. The mids are not as open compared to the very flat N6, but at the same time the timbre is spot on from the P90SD, while the N6 sounds fine in isolation, it doesn't match the timbre of P90SD. The treble is same deal as the mids. In isolation the P90SD sounds fairly balanced (bit of a bass slam tilt) a centered sound stage, great timbre and texture allround. The hardest part to put into word about P90SD is it's "timing", it exudes groove and funk, I personally think this has to do with superior audio processing (aka timing of I2S signal being sent to dac), the P90SD is the best I've heard in regards to conveying proper timing which conveys energy and emotions through the music.

N6 has a very desirable balanced airy sound that exudes technical capability, It is simply the most balanced sound I've ever heard without sounding boring, and is also one of the most open sound stages I've heard, only Sony S-Master daps can compete with this level of openness. N6 has a much more enticing sound than the X5ii I previously tested. I would like to own N6 personally, but probably won't due to it's usability. The N6 is worth it's cost imo just for it's sound, but if it had good usability it would be a must buy.

I will compare QA360 a bit later. But for now I will say that the N6 equals the P90SD but both have trade-offs, the N6 is probably the better all rounder from the HO due to it's extreme balance and openness, while P90SD needs specific pairings to shine through the HO, but when you get them, they will be phenomenal as the P90SD has unmatched bass, timbre and texture. The P90SD also has the best Digital out I've heard.

I do feel both N6 and P90SD are a cut above other daps, X5ii, DX90, Hum, F887, etc. Just bear in mind it is a very fine line between them, one that preference and pairing would easily outweigh.

Sorry for the half-baked write-up btw, I didn't really organise it properly.  I'm afraid I cbfed comparing daps intensely these day's as I just want to listen and relax 
smile_phones.gif
 I will edit this write up after I have done more listening.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #79 of 93
The unit has arrived and I am playing with it at the mo...

Love the packaging, feels very premium... now to turn this little beasty on! She is a bigger unit than I thought but quite pretty.

Thanks @T.R.A.N.C.E. for sending it through safely and @H20Fidelity for setting up the tour. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #80 of 93
  The unit has arrived and I am playing with it at the mo...

Love the packaging, feels very premium... now to turn this little beasty on! She is a bigger unit than I thought but quite pretty.

Thanks @T.R.A.N.C.E. for sending it through safely and @H20Fidelity for setting up the tour. 

No problem n05ey, hope you enjoy the Cayin.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #81 of 93
I am really enjoying the n6. There was a point where I was staring at it on the table and struggling with its bulk until I remembered my old walkman... then it all made sense, the heft started to appeal and now I am enthralled by the whole presentation.

A couple of little points in early listening (all my comparisons will be to my current portable setup - sony a15 l/o to topping nx1)
1. why do I have to slowly scroll down the entire list to get to the album I want... surely all players should implement either a fast flick (fiio/ipod) or title letter (sony) scroll so you can get to O just a little faster :)
2. this thing apart from having pretty effortless driving power seems to push out a fairly holographic image. First listen going back to my stack feels like coming in a little more intimate.

All good fun... I will check in later :)

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #82 of 93
I am really enjoying the n6. There was a point where I was staring at it on the table and struggling with its bulk until I remembered my old walkman... then it all made sense, the heft started to appeal and now I am enthralled by the whole presentation.

A couple of little points in early listening (all my comparisons will be to my current portable setup - sony a15 l/o to topping nx1)
1. why do I have to slowly scroll down the entire list to get to the album I want... surely all players should implement either a fast flick (fiio/ipod) or title letter (sony) scroll so you can get to O just a little faster
smily_headphones1.gif

2. this thing apart from having pretty effortless driving power seems to push out a fairly holographic image. First listen going back to my stack feels like coming in a little more intimate.

All good fun... I will check in later
smily_headphones1.gif

To my understanding when accessing the album, folder, lists (your music) you can use the jog wheel on the side of the player to move faster.

Please try this, though keep in mind my play with N6 was limited to one weekend (until it comes back around to me)

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #83 of 93
Just FYI, I will be putting this beauty in the post tomorrow to @DJScope. My notes are coming together but I can say that bottom line, I really enjoyed it! I still think there are ui aspects that could be improved but hey, when you sound like this you can do whatever you want :) 

You are right @H20Fidelity the scroll wheel works to jog faster through the albums which is better than clicking but I still think it could move a bit faster. The library with my card in it is around 400 albums which means that going to O (Odd Soul by MuteMath, just go listen everyone. Now.) is a lengthy process that the A15 gets through so much quicker (though it is noted that people rate the sony interface extremely highly).

I anticipate at this stage that I should be able to get a review up this week :)

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this one!

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #84 of 93
  Just FYI, I will be putting this beauty in the post tomorrow to @DJScope. My notes are coming together but I can say that bottom line, I really enjoyed it! I still think there are ui aspects that could be improved but hey, when you sound like this you can do whatever you want :) 

You are right @H20Fidelity the scroll wheel works to jog faster through the albums which is better than clicking but I still think it could move a bit faster. The library with my card in it is around 400 albums which means that going to O (Odd Soul by MuteMath, just go listen everyone. Now.) is a lengthy process that the A15 gets through so much quicker (though it is noted that people rate the sony interface extremely highly).

I anticipate at this stage that I should be able to get a review up this week :)

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this one!

Ok, thanks for posting the unit onwards to DJScope, great keeping things running smoothly. 

When your is review is completed please post a link here so I can add it to the OP.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #86 of 93
  Please note that if Australia Post don't get it to me on Friday, I won't get it till Thursday. But, as it's going to my work, it will be waiting for me on my desk.

No problem, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #88 of 93

Users who are viewing this thread

Back