TOTALDAC DAC
May 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 593

khaos974

Headphoneus Supremus
All information: http://www.totaldac.com

Semi DIY DAC, available fully built at EUR 3850

Discrete components DAC: R2R DAC with 0.01% Vishay foil resistors
Clock and anti-jitter FIFO: it uses a buffer memory (FIFO) to store about 10ms of audio data at the digital source rhythm and output a stream at a local oscillator rhythm.
Active crossover configuration possible.

frequency response: 0Hz-45KHz for a 96KHz signal
distortion: 0.002%
channel separation: 97dB
left/right level mismatch: 0.005dB max
output voltage: 3.3Vrms
noise floor: -131dB
output impedance: 75ohms
output offset: 0.5mV max
input to output delay at 96KHz sampling frequency: 10ms
internal computing: 69bits
D to A convertion: 24 bit R2R without oversampling
power consumpton: 7W
security: double isolation transformer + earth, enclosure connected to earth, EMC copper adhesive, isolated feet, isolated spdif input

6moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/totaldac/1.html

May 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 593
Considering a Berkeley Alpha costs about as much, that is seriously tempting in that budget range.

May 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 593
IMHO, its biggest weakness is the lack of connectivity, although it could be remedied if you can DIY.
On the other hand, considering it s price of parts/ price of finished product is outstanding.

May 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 593
That is one sexy DAC!  All those z-foils are giving me wood.  The $5500 is bringing be back to reality

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 593
I have had the chance to listen to this dac and can safely say it's the best dac I've ever experienced. That sounds like a cliché but I was indeed blown away by this dac. It's got a headphone output as well and with my LCD-2 connected straight the totaldac's out I was convinced this was even the best amp I have ever heard with the LCD-2! Note that I'm a huge tube fan and here comes this dac with a ss headphone out and trashes every dac/amp combination I've heard to date.

I'm really loving my LCD-2 rev.1  but I have always thought they were just a tiny bit recessed in the treble department. Not so out of the totaldac. They were spot on. Not lacking ANYTHING at all. You'd be hardpressed to find a headphone/amp combo in any pricerange with a lesser dac that could match this. I also heard the totaldac with a Sennheiser HE60/STAX SRM007t combo. Listening to Chabrier's Espana on Mercury Living Presence made me turn my head to see who was playing the tambourine. This was a mechanical reproduction of music that sounded the way it ought to sound: effortless and natural with such ease. Made all other dacs sound like they are struggling

Since hearing the totaldac I've been trying to to figure out how to afford one. I came as close as to order one but alas a change in my financial situation commanded me to cancel it
confused_face.gif
. But I wish any future buyers many happy hours with a supreme musical experience (and a little bit of envy on my part).

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 593
Comparison against the Invicta and Cantata would be fantastic. 

I do have to say it's an ugly clunky looking box.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 593
The new one is significantly better on the eyes, but not on the wallet, except in comparison to what it supposedly beats.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 593
You read the 6moons article? Comparing against 20k euro pieces at a cost of 6.5k. To their ears at least.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 593
Quote:
Comparison against the Invicta and Cantata would be fantastic. 

I do have to say it's an ugly clunky looking box.

Now these two dacs are both using standard converter chips. The totaldac is a discrete r2r ladder design not utilizing a converter chip but resistors. If you haven't heard a r2r ladder dac you're in for a surprise. It's a whole different ballgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back