Total Airhead & Porta Corda reviewed (long)
Jan 15, 2002 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Secondreef

New Head-Fier
Ok, this is my first post so be patient with me. I owe a lot to this forum because you saved me from buying the Bose noise canceling headphones and opened a world of great products up to me. This is my feeble attempt to begin repaying you for that great advice. I find myself on a plane nearly every week going or coming from somewhere and needed some good noise isolating cans. After just a few visits to this forum I knew I needed a pair of Etys. Settled on the 4S. Then I needed a traveling amp. Bought a new Total Airhead (TA) and a Porta Corda. Now it’s time to decide between the two.

I listen to a variety of music – classic rock, alternative, punk, cool jazz, big band, classical (big symphony sound), piano, reggae. Sometimes the recording quality isn’t very good. I like a good, smooth, balanced sound. I like my bass to be deep and controlled. I’ve listened to both amps for many hours on many CDs played on the Sony D-25S. I can make this general comment – a good recording makes a huge difference, and makes the amps sound more alike. Poor recordings exaggerate the flaws in the amps.

A word about the Etys. If you don’t think the 4S’s have bass, think again. These things have the cleanest, deepest bass I have ever heard. It’s not booming, and it’s a different feeling with the Etys, but it’s very deep and clean. Etys do expose all the recording flaws (and there are many!) making some good music hard to listen too. They also expose the compression artifacts on CD WAVE files. The 4S’s are easier to drive than I expected, and I’m glad I chose them (haven’t heard the 4P’s though).

Here’s what I listened too (mostly):

Steely Dan, Aja (MCA)
UB40, UB40 (Virgin)
Sony Stitt, Stitt Plays Bird (Atlantic)
St. Louis Symphony, Tchaikovsky Serenade in C for Strings (Telarc)
The B52s, B52s (Warner Bros)
Fiona Apple, Tidal (Sony)

What my eyes saw:

The coolness factor definitely goes to the PC. It looks more like quality sound equipment with the blue aluminum faceplate, red LED, toggle switch and volume knob. The TA makes some scary pops and crackles when you switch the switches or plug in the headphones (even with the power off). The separate power switch on the TA is a nice feature (you can turn it off without changing the volume), but it’s difficult to see and the TA lacks a LED. I left mine on a couple times by mistake. The PC is a little crowded with everything on the front panel. I like the location of the input jack on the side of the TA, and the volume thumbwheel is easier to use than the knob on the PC. I found the interconnect cable on the PC is nearly useless because it’s too short, too stiff, too thick and only has a 90 degree connector on one end. The TA’s interconnect is just right (and matches the cable on my Etys!). The TA also has a convenient power connector on the side for a regulated power supply (4.5VDC, center +). I always have a stack of AA batteries lying around to power the TA, but the 9V is a little harder to come by in my house (and more expensive).

What my ears heard:

Both amps were very quiet (except for the pops mentioned above that the TA made). Both powered the Etys well at low volume settings. They sounded quite different, but neither was objectionable. I listened to both with the crossfeed on because I thought the sound was very un-natural with it turned off. Out of the box the PC lacked bass with the crossfeed on. There was a huge difference when the crossfeed was turned off (more bass, but had a distinct right/left sound). I changed the PC’s magic resistor (to a 1000 ohm) to reduce the crossfeed. That gave me more bass without negative effects.

With that fixed, there are several differences between the amps that I’ll mention in order of my perceived magnitude. First, the PC had a very controlled bass, but slightly lacking. The TA had just a tad too much bass, but more importantly, it was a little more sloppy, not as controlled. It was most noticeable on Fiona Apple’s Sleep to Dream (first cut) where there’s too much bass and the TA exaggerates this. The PC handled it much better making it less objectionable. However, if the recording is light on bass, it’s nearly non-existent with the PC while the TA makes it sound much better. I used the St. Louis Symphony CD as my gold standard, and the TA reproduced the lows very accurately. The sound was well balanced, controlled and very deep. The PC was a little thin. I had to strain a bit to hear the bass line. If the TA throttled back the bass just a tad, it would be great.

The next noticeable difference is the soundstage. To my ears the TA had a much more realistic, seamless sound. The TA sounded like musicians on a stage, all blending, but with distinct locations. The PC sounded like each musician was individually recorded in a studio and mixed later. The individual sounds didn’t blend into a seamless curtain of music, but was more of distinct points of sound with less airy space around them. Even the St. Louis Symphony sounded like it was recorded in a studio thru the PC. To me this made the PC more fatiguing to listen to, and resulted in fewer shivers running up and down my spine. I got lost in the music more with the TA and listened less to the amp. The TA apparently has a slight delay in the crossfeed circuit. Could this explain why it has a more airy sound to its soundstage???

The final noticeable difference is the highs. The PC really shines in the mids to highs. Cymbal crashes are incredible thru the PC. The TA just doesn’t reproduce them with the same life and energy. The PC, however, did seem to have a little more bite (edge) to trumpets and snare drums, where the TA was smoother and more laid back.

I really want to keep the PC. It looks so cool, and does a good job in a lot of ways. I just think the TA is a better match with the Etys. I tried running in the PC for 48 hours, and really couldn’t hear the difference. I tried the 120 ohm “adapter” that came with the PC, but it didn’t have a big affect. Oh well, I tried. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Porta Corda?

Finding this site is a blessing AND a curse! I’m afraid I’ll be spending far too much on pursuing the perfect sound. In that pursuit, I think I’m going to have to contact JMT and buy one of his amps. Now see what you’ve gotten me into!

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Now see what you’ve gotten me into!

*yawn* Nobody pushed you, so now you have to be stuck in the same tar pit we all jumped in to. Oh well, at least we'll have good tunes while we drown!

cajunchrist

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Quite a nice review. Fair to both amps and you spelled the picture out very clearly. That was exactly what I expected to hear from a comparison of the units, right down to their styling and layout. I think your review will help a lot of people; thanks for sharing it.
cool.gif

PS: Aw, why not keep both amps. There aren't a lot of Porta Corda's in the world. You might miss it! Aja, UB40 at a touch of B-52s thrown in. I'm with you, man!

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Lambda
Great review! (Opened my eyes to the TA). Now, to see what you have to say about the JMT.

I've always felt that the TA sort of gets a bum rap around here. While I prefer the sound of my JMT built CHA 47 Altoid, I refuse to use it outside of the house for fear of damaging it. If I need a light portable amp for use with a pcdp or minidisc, I use the TA. I've always considered it a good little amp.

Very nice reveiw, Secondreef !

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 23
First post? Welcome to Head-Fi, Secondreef! That was an excellent review. Like RickG, I also prefer the sound of the JMT built CHA47 amp. To my ears, it's more dynamic sounding than the TA. You should definitely try it out.....and I'm sure you will.
wink.gif

BTW.........I think the Head-Fi Homepage should have emblazoned in big red letters:
evil_smiley.gif
"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE"
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 23
guess who just bought his PC?.... yup, me! So now I have a CHA-47 altoids, TA & PC....whew, you guys are killing me with the spending.

Jan 16, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 23
The different circuits?

Cmoy, Apheared/CHA47 (these two the same?) tuned for high impedence / low impedence phones...

Heck, any circuit that can fit in an Altoids tin, you can have with your Altoids amp... the TA and PC are altoids-sized too aren't they?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyone finished that bastardized RA-1 yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 25, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 23
porta corda arrived on Tuesday. Everything looks and works fine. It sounds very nice and it is truly portable, what with the belt clip and all. Thanks!

Jan 26, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 23
you're not the first to ask....I'm working on it. I've got to log some listening hours on the porta-corda first. Once that's done, I'll have no excuse!

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 23
If this review was done again with the crossfeed circuit off, I'm sure the Porta Corda would come out on top by a lot. The crossfeed feature of the PC should only be used when necessary, cause it really kills the ety sound when turned on even when its set to low. With the crossfeed on, your review is 100% consistent with my findings.
I chose to get rid of the TA because it simply is not a well-built piece of equipment especially when compared to the awesome Porta. I will miss the AA capability very much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back