Toss up: HD25-1-II, Denon D1100, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-580?
Feb 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

point3six

New Head-Fier

After a relative amount of research I have narrowed down my search to these cans.

*HD25-1-II, Denon D1100, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-580*

What I'm looking for
- Over ear
- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- Powerful driver
- No supplemental amplifiers

I primarily listen to hip hop, although I listen to all genres including jazz and classical. I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $200 that can be brought on a bus, plane, or sidewalk and be enjoyed thoroughly. I want something that can handle being put in a backpack and lugged around, while also providing quality sound that overpowers outside sound. I will be solely using an iPhone/iPod and computer jack to power whatever headphones I end up getting. Other suggestions are more than welcome as this initial finding is somewhat preliminary.

I use Grado SR 80's for home use or should I say I will be. Just had to send those bad boys into Grado as the rod got disconnected from the can. Couldn't handle the harsh realities of the streets.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:

After a relative amount of research I have narrowed down my search to these cans.

*HD25-1-II, Denon D1100, Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-580*

What I'm looking for
- Over ear
- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- Powerful driver

I primarily listen to hip hop, although I listen to all genres including jazz and classical. I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $200 that can be brought on a bus, plane, or sidewalk and be enjoyed thoroughly. I want something that can handle being put in a backpack and lugged around, while also providing quality sound that overpowers outside sound. I will be solely using an iPhone/iPod and computer jack to power whatever headphones I end up getting. Other suggestions are more than welcome as this initial finding is somewhat preliminary.

I use Grado SR 80's for home use or should I say I will be. Just had to send those bad boys into Grado as the rod got disconnected from the can. Couldn't handle the harsh realities of the streets.

I'm assuming by saying "over ear" you mean no IEM's.
Because all the phones you mentioned sit on the ear (rather than around the ear e.g. AKG 701).

Also, all of them are too big for portable use with the possible exception of the M50's,
and that's because those fold.

I strongly recommend the Senn HD25 1 II for you because they'll do everything you listed.
Only thing is that the bass, while very good and very present, won't knock your head off :)-)).

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 14
The 580's fold, and are what I use for portable listening because they conform to my head well. However, the HD-25 would be your best bet, being the hardiest and most portable 'phone there, with bass emphasis and decent isolation (for an on-ear).

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Ill toss my chip in for the HD25s too. Light weight and built like a tank (I've slept on them many a time and have no worries.) One issue though was my ears didn't agree with the plastic ear pads (got way to warm and itchy for my tastes) so I switched them out for the Velour and although I loose isolation I couldn't be happier with switching them. :D

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Plus with the HD25s, whenever you watch sports you get to see the announcers wearing them too and it gives you that reassuring feeling you bought a good product :wink:

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 14
I agree with the above posts. Sounds like the hd25's would suit you well. The others are good phones but just too bulky for your purpose.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
The 580's fold, and are what I use for portable listening because they conform to my head well. However, the HD-25 would be your best bet, being the hardiest and most portable 'phone there, with bass emphasis and decent isolation (for an on-ear).

Indeed they do, and of course I know that...
My error in not mentioning it.

Still, though, agreement on the HD25 1 II's as the OP's 'best bet'.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 14
I have the HD25's and I would highly suggest them, thought I have only listen to the M50's of what else is on your list.  I think the HD25's are better.  I use them walking around a very large, very busy (both cars and people) campus and they isolate incredibly well.  And in my opinion, they sound great with hip-hop.  Based on my experience with them, you could throw them against a brick wall 100 times and they would still look and work like new, so incredibly durable.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 14
Haha it seems that the HD25's win unanimously. That was my initial inclination as well, but wanted to make sure I wasn't excluding a better set of cans. How do the HD25's compare to say, the HD555's, HD558's, or HD 598's in terms of the desired qualities I'm looking for?

The desired qualities being...

- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- Powerful driver

Thanks

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Well, the other Sennheisers you just listed lose immediately for being open and therefore not having the desired quality of isolation.

I've owned all the cans you listed except for the Shure. I'd say the HD25 suits your needs the most out of them.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Haha it seems that the HD25's win unanimously. That was my initial inclination as well, but wanted to make sure I wasn't excluding a better set of cans. How do the HD25's compare to say, the HD555's, HD558's, or HD 598's in terms of the desired qualities I'm looking for?

The desired qualities being...

- Portability
- Durability
- Isolation
- Powerful driver

Thanks

You're definitely not excluding a better choice in phones for your purposes -

this thread speaks volumes.

Next step is to find the best price on the HD25 1 II from a good seller,
buy them, and enjoy your music.  :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 14
+1 on this.  I have a pair of HD595's and I like the HD25's more.  Buy them and you will not be disappointed.

Quote:
You're definitely not excluding a better choice in phones for your purposes -

this thread speaks volumes.

Next step is to find the best price on the HD25 1 II from a good seller,
buy them, and enjoy your music.  :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 14
I have the Sennheiser and Denons. I think the Sennheisers are a bit better all rounder and nice and comfy around the neck too. The Denon's are 'over' the ear (mostly) and thus much more comfy for longer periods - rather than 'on' the ear like the Senns and are great for anything more punchy like pop and bass heavy stuff. The Senns are way better for classical and scale better with a good DAC and neither of them need much amping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back