Topping NX7 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

povidlo

1000+ Head-Fier
This is a dedicated thread for discussion regarding Topping NX7 portable headphone amplifier.

Topping blessed the marketplace with NX7, which it out of current trend. Pure analog portable amps are a dying art with roll out of bigger and stronger DAC/amps combos and dongles, but there’s still a place in a true audiophile’s arsenal for one.

5199760.jpg

5199761.jpg

5199768.jpg

5199772.jpg

5199769.jpg

5199770.jpg

Product Page: https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/742328.html

L7Audiolab Measurements: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-nx7/

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 63
I'm a happy owner and will be posting some impressions and comparisons later.

Looking forward to other members' impressions and feedback on NX7.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 63
I'm a happy owner and will be posting some impressions and comparisons later.

Looking forward to other members' impressions and feedback on NX7.
Interesting to hear. I was looking to get this amp in the future as i think it should be one of the best solution for harder to drive planars with some good dap. Topping as always in the front. Will look to hear your impressions

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 63
NX7 will likely have a better amp section than any all-in-one (dap, dacamp, dongle) under $500. Fundamentally, these devices typically have shared power supply for digital and analog sections. Stacking a separate amp like NX7 provides a completely independent from digital stages, separately-powered supplied amp section. This trade-off between convenience and sound quality works well for me in various listening session situations.

Sound can be summarized as neutral and organic. I used to think neutral and organic when listening to THX amps, but they now sound on colder, analytical, brighter side in comparison to NX7’s NFCA module. NFCA technology was “inspired” by THX but I like its mobile implementation better than that of THX in THX Onyx and Monolith THX AA Portable as the produced sound that is more natural and less dry. On the flipside, there are warm and sweet sounding portable amps, like Korg HA-S and Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 that produce transistor-like or tube-like second and third harmonics.

NX7 is crisp and fast. There’s excellent control over the entire frequency range. Bass is very articulate; it reaches sub low with ability to reproduce multiple basslines without overlapping mud. Quality is prioritised over quantity which produces somewhat less impact in mid-bass to provide for clear definition and separation from mids. Mids are positively evenly flat. There’s no apparent pinna gain or any other spikes that might cause fatigue. Melody of a track is clearly communicated to the listener. There’s plenty of space for different instruments to deliver their notes. Notes are not edgy but are not soft. Treble is well extended just like bass. There’s high level of transparency. If source DAC has smooth, calm, chill out treble like many R2R sources, that’s how NX7 will come off as well. But NX7’s treble can bite too. When fed with well-implemented ESS chip, there’s a lot of energy and sparkle in play. But things never get too glitzy or glary.

I’m still working on and will share later my feedback related to usability, gain, single-ended 4.4mm, comparison to other portable amps, and synergy with different sources and headphones/earphones.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 63
20220919_110452.jpg

Through NX7, TH900ii Red is less spicy and more forgiving than usual.

EDIT: I realized what's happening here is rather: NX7 communicating SA700 Vegas Gold's warmth to Red in controlled, non-syrupy manner. It's not due to NX7 changing the sound on its own. Red can still sound spicy through NX7 if used with edgy source like ESS Dac.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 63
NX7 will likely have a better amp section than any all-in-one (dap, dacamp, dongle) under $500. Fundamentally, these devices typically have shared power supply for digital and analog sections. Stacking a separate amp like NX7 provides a completely independent from digital stages, separately-powered supplied amp section. This trade-off between convenience and sound quality works well for me in various listening session situations.

Sound can be summarized as neutral and organic. I used to think neutral and organic when listening to THX amps, but they now sound on colder, analytical, brighter side in comparison to NX7’s NFCA module. NFCA technology was “inspired” by THX but I like its mobile implementation better than that of THX in THX Onyx and Monolith THX AA Portable as the produced sound that is more natural and less dry. On the flipside, there are warm and sweet sounding portable amps, like Korg HA-S and Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 that produce transistor-like or tube-like second and third harmonics.

NX7 is crisp and fast. There’s excellent control over the entire frequency range. Bass is very articulate; it reaches sub low with ability to reproduce multiple basslines without overlapping mud. Quality is prioritised over quantity which produces somewhat less impact in mid-bass to provide for clear definition and separation from mids. Mids are positively evenly flat. There’s no apparent pinna gain or any other spikes that might cause fatigue. Melody of a track is clearly communicated to the listener. There’s plenty of space for different instruments to deliver their notes. Notes are not edgy but are not soft. Treble is well extended just like bass. There’s high level of transparency. If source DAC has smooth, calm, chill out treble like many R2R sources, that’s how NX7 will come off as well. But NX7’s treble can bite too. When fed with well-implemented ESS chip, there’s a lot of energy and sparkle in play. But things never get too glitzy or glary.

I’m still working on and will share later my feedback related to usability, gain, single-ended 4.4mm, comparison to other portable amps, and synergy with different sources and headphones/earphones.
Really good review you made. I now understand what nx7 are capable. I possibly will buy it too as i dont see any better amp at this price. Also nfca for me and my taste is much better than thx. From my perspective it usually gives neutral but more natural organic tonality as thx amps gives this cold, dry , empty, analytical and not engaging sound that i should compensate with only a lot warmer and live iems or headphones. With nfc you can put neutral iem and still enjoy sound. Ofcourse it depend how amp is implemented but thx usually comes like this. So it's in their dna and nfca for me is like upgraded, better more musical thx. Especially current topping amps has good nfca implementation and nx7 one of them. So will look what you will share in the future

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 63
Interesting to hear. I was looking to get this amp in the future as i think it should be one of the best solution for harder to drive planars with some good dap. Topping as always in the front. Will look to hear your impressions
As long as it’s fed full 2 Vrms signal, NX7 has no issues driving typical planars. Though it definitely wouldn’t work well with something extreme like Hifiman HE6seV2. I have successfully used Fostex T40rpMK3 (50/91), RHA CL2 (15/89), Monolith M570 (32/96), and M1570C (60/97).

Today I’m pairing NX7 with Hifiman HM1000 Red R2R Dac, driving CL2 and M570. Listening comfortably on medium gain, with knob in 11-1 o’clock range. I generally enjoy how R2R pairs with planar magnetic. NX7 is exceptionally neutral sounding, it doesn’t swing the sound bright/dark, warm/cold. R2R implementation with its progressive depth of sound and timing of pace reaches transducers without added coloration. NX7 is then able to control this scene in equal manner across the range of frequency response.

Attachments

• 20221010_125216[7881].jpg
    20221010_125216[7881].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221010_123225[7882].jpg
    20221010_123225[7882].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 63
Vs NX4, it has a much more powerful and cleaner amp section; and no DAC.

Naming conventions aside, G5 is next-gen NX4, not NX7.

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 63
Vs NX4, it has a much more powerful and cleaner amp section; and no DAC.

Naming conventions aside, G5 is next-gen NX4, not NX7.
The G5 is way too pricey, I might pull the trigger with the nx7, I don’t actually use the dac but just the amp, I’m more than satisfied with my iPhone 11 Pro built in dac.
This is half the price of a g5 so yeah might just go for it.
Hope you guys will be doing a review soon

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 63
20220919_110452.jpg
Through NX7, TH900ii Red is less spicy and more forgiving than usual.

EDIT: I realized what's happening here is rather: NX7 communicating SA700 Vegas Gold's warmth to Red in controlled, non-syrupy manner. It's not due to NX7 changing the sound on its own. Red can still sound spicy through NX7 if used with edgy source like ESS Dac.
Mate you have some serious equipment right there, respect

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 63
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 63
Took the plunge. After weeks of decision-making I went with the NX7. Was looking for something to drive harder-to-drive stuff, 6XX, HiFiMans, etc. connected to Shanling M6 Pro21 (which is no slouch itself power-wise with 760mW @ 32 Ohms) but looking for more of a kill shot that will give that headroom without having to crank the volume too high. And at around $200USD shipping and taxes in Canada, kinda became a no-brainer.

Considered the Topping G5 (good choice but a bit less power and more expensive); KAEI Tap-1 (bulkier, more expensive, about the same watts in portable mode; the new FiiO Q7 (if $ no object choice but outa the price range).

Maybe I'm missing something or I'll regret the purchase due to unintended consequences, but anyway, looking forward to getting it and seeing what it'll do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back