Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #302 of 807
AMEN my dude, Tidal HIFI only!
I'd be cautious. Apparently, if there's an MQA version, the HiFi version is created from the MQA version, so you are still getting a file created from lossy data.

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #304 of 807
Bought mine today in silver excited except for the 3 week shipping!

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #307 of 807
For all the Tidal hate, I don't see a better platform.
Spotify is a lossy mess
Tidal to my ears sounds comparable to Amazon Music HD (or whatever it's called these days). I'm on a free trial at the moment with Qobuz. Qobuz to my ears sounds just as good as Tidal. Qobuz the interface is crap on both PC and Android. Qobuz search is abysmal. If you don't have it spelled exactly right it won't find it. At least Tidal is good at deciphering a search to something useful. It's not as good as Spotify but definitely better than Qobuz.

With that said, what else is out there for streaming other than using your home collection (which I also have).

EDIT: I see "PCM" when streaming "Hifi" tracks not MQA on the D90SE and MQA when doing master tracks for the person who said they're seeing MQA on Hifi tracks..

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #308 of 807
For all the Tidal hate, I don't see a better platform.
Spotify is a lossy mess
Tidal to my ears sounds comparable to Amazon Music HD (or whatever it's called these days). I'm on a free trial at the moment with Qobuz. Qobuz to my ears sounds just as good as Tidal. Qobuz the interface is crap on both PC and Android. Qobuz search is abysmal. If you don't have it spelled exactly right it won't find it. At least Tidal is good at deciphering a search to something useful. It's not as good as Spotify but definitely better than Qobuz.

With that said, what else is out there for streaming other than using your home collection (which I also have).

EDIT: I see "PCM" when streaming "Hifi" tracks not MQA on the D90SE and MQA when doing master tracks for the person who said they're seeing MQA on Hifi tracks..
Agreed. I'm back on Tidal once again. I actually like the mobile app a lot now and use Room on my PC. Both have been updated quite a bit since last I used them.

Have been with Spotify for years, but finally cancelled after the HiFi fiasco ended being fake news.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #309 of 807
Agreed. I'm back on Tidal once again. I actually like the mobile app a lot now and use Room on my PC. Both have been updated quite a bit since last I used them.

Have been with Spotify for years, but finally cancelled after the HiFi fiasco ended being fake news.
I use both since tidal bypass my EQ, sometimes i need it, ❤️ Spotify & Tidal hifi ❤️

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #310 of 807
Hello, its m'y first publication i'm french...

I have the A90 and I bought the A90D to compare with Focal Clear xlr and dac/streamer Naim 272 rca. First of all, too bad for those who do not believe in running-in but out of box the two amps were dull and lifeless... After about ten hours the sound is ok, it’s obvious when I compared the 1st time the A90d with the A90, I thought if it was that sound I sent it back right away!
The A90D has the same tone as the A90 but is more transparent, the sounds stand out more, it is more detailed but not cold, not boring! For me it is the perfect balance between detail, transparency and warmth matter... The bass is firmer and descends lower and the high is finer and more varied (cymbals...) it’s subtle but very real. I like it a lot! The perfect couple with Focal Clear...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #311 of 807
Hello, its m'y first publication i'm french...

I have the A90 and I bought the A90D to compare with Focal Clear xlr and dac/streamer Naim 272 rca. First of all, too bad for those who do not believe in running-in but out of box the two amps were dull and lifeless... After about ten hours the sound is ok, it’s obvious when I compared the 1st time the A90d with the A90, I thought if it was that sound I sent it back right away!
The A90D has the same tone as the A90 but is more transparent, the sounds stand out more, it is more detailed but not cold, not boring! For me it is the perfect balance between detail, transparency and warmth matter... The bass is firmer and descends lower and the high is finer and more varied (cymbals...) it’s subtle but very real. I like it a lot! The perfect couple with Focal Clear...
Wicked feedback super excited to get mine.
Anyone try this with a tube pre?

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #312 of 807
For some reason
I'd be cautious. Apparently, if there's an MQA version, the HiFi version is created from the MQA version, so you are still getting a file created from lossy data.
I always found mqa to sound a bit bright to me. Since qobuz app is bit troblesome in my country. I have just been enjoying apple LL lately.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #313 of 807
My shipping date has to be extended as the seller said they are low on stock, the latest date he gave me is 10th Sept, I ordered from Aliexpress as i got a good deal. Others facing similar delays because of stock?

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #314 of 807
So since they came through and it's finalized I figured I'd add an update on the A90D destroying my Arya (search for previous posts from me in here it was from roughly a week ago). So after keeping in communication with Topping I explained to them what happened. They did an internal review and credited me the cost to me for what it was to get my Arya replaced. Kudos to Topping customer service!

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #315 of 807
So since they came through and it's finalized I figured I'd add an update on the A90D destroying my Arya (search for previous posts from me in here it was from roughly a week ago). So after keeping in communication with Topping I explained to them what happened. They did an internal review and credited me the cost to me for what it was to get my Arya replaced. Kudos to Topping customer service!
That’s better than I was expecting, given they explicitly state they will accept no liability for damage caused by a failure of the amp in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back