Top 5 MP3 Players of 2009( Anythingbutipod.com Review)
Dec 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the Clip have an active playlist feature?

meaning, can I be playing a song then browse other songs and add to "now playing" or "add to queue?"
this is my favorite feature of the Zen V+ and main reason I wouldn't get an ipod.

thanks

thought ipod had this function, you may set up playlist via ipod,right?

I think it has no problem to do unless you have to edit the list afterward

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thought ipod had this function, you may set up playlist via ipod,right?

I think it has no problem to do unless you have to edit the list afterward

The iPod Classic has an on-the-go playlist feature. Meaning you can create a playlist using the iPod. But it is limited. You can only add songs to the OTG playlist from certain views, like the artist list view or albums list view. You can't add songs from the cover flow view. You also can't add the active playing now song to the OTG playlist, at least not directly.

I've never used an iPod Touch or iPhone so don't know if they've gotten better at managing the OTG playlist.

But my iPod Classic does gapless and that's all that I care about. Clumsy or limited OTG playlist creation I can deal with.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 73
wow, now it is not a must to get the 8 gig sansa anymore since all of them are expandable. The only problem with the sansa now is..., What happens to all my aac files?
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 73
AnythingbutiPod...
I can not get myself to trust a site like that, since they seem very biased.

The 3G iPod touch have earned a spot in the list (imo).
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AnythingbutiPod...

The 3G iPod touch have earned a spot in the list (imo).
wink.gif

Not quite imho. At the prices my brother's Apple employee friend can get the 64GB Touch at though, definitely straight in at number 1
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AnythingbutiPod...

The reviews are very thorough. Honestly, look at the reviews and tell me where else you can find reviews that in-depth about non-iPods and accessories. I know there's Cnet, but they mostly go over features instead of being critical of sound quality and other "audiophile" aspects. So ABI is biased against iPods. Who isn't biased in one form or another?

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #24 of 73
My complaint with the Touch is that Apple locks the Touch to using iTunes to sync. That's not acceptable to me. I refuse to manage my library using iTunes. Same thing with the Zune HD. You are forced to use the Zune software to sync and I refuse to use that software to manage my library. My iPod Classic is only acceptable because third party tools can reliably sync it.

ABI and ABZ is the direction I'm looking at for future portable players. Any site that gives me good info about the alternative players is good for me. ABI also champions gapless playback and is a good source for finding out which players support gapless.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ABI also champions gapless playback and is a good source for finding out which players support gapless.

Rockbox's site is too.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My complaint with the Touch is that Apple locks the Touch to using iTunes to sync.
.... My iPod Classic is only acceptable because third party tools can reliably sync it.

I'm using the third party to sync music with my iTouch without any problem. Not sure about the apps though.

Seriously, iTunes is the dumbest software I've ever used. Can't think of a reason to use it, except having to sync with my iPods.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reviews are very thorough. Honestly, look at the reviews and tell me where else you can find reviews that in-depth about non-iPods and accessories. I know there's Cnet, but they mostly go over features instead of being critical of sound quality and other "audiophile" aspects. So ABI is biased against iPods. Who isn't biased in one form or another?

In terms of 'audiophile' aspects, they're for example already starting from the premise for example that the cartoon sound delivered by BBE et al is 'high quality'. There's no basis of comparison if you're going to set the bar at that nonsensical level.

Cnet actually are just as, if not more objective in their briefer mentions of audio quality. They understand who they're reviewing for, but abi et al seem to have have pretensions their reviewers would be hard pressed to support in reality. In terms of readily tangibles, the reviews are usually very good... but in terms of niches which need more preparation to be truly useful in objective terms, I can't really say (for the players that I have/had, which is admittedly most of them) they have any more authority than a much-derided Cnet review.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 73
There are more reasons for avoid ipod than the oh so disputed sound quality thing that I'm not going to go into. Some people just don't like Apple for some reason. In addition, some people don't want to just be like everybody else.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that abi exists to give attention to things besides the ipod, which gets most of the media attention.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the third party to sync music with my iTouch without any problem. Not sure about the apps though.

Seriously, iTunes is the dumbest software I've ever used. Can't think of a reason to use it, except having to sync with my iPods.

There are some third party tools that can sync with the Touch. For example, MediaMonkey can. But it requires that iTunes be installed and iTunes is still required for some of the syncing functions. I'm not sure how exactly they're doing it. They may be remote controlling some functions in iTunes or may be calling into some of the iTunes functions. In any event, it's a fragile setup that can and likely will break with any iTunes update. If/when Apple decides to do a more major update to iTunes the whole thing could completely break and not be fixable. There is encryption going on. If the encryption gets strong enough it won't be able to be cracked. That's not a system I would rely on or trust.

Syncing with the Classic and similar iPods has been sufficiently reverse engineered so that iTunes isn't required and isn't so tied to Apple being nice.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #30 of 73
Ive been kicking around buying a new portable rig for a month and then amazon ran the triple fi sale and my iem//earbud took a major leap so know it is time to up grade so now which player should i buy SQ is the major factor if i want to inter act i will pull my phone out i'm thinking zune or cowon

which one
zune hd
zune 120
cowon s9

i own 3k+ cd's i do albums not tracks if that makes a difference.

ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back