Top 5 MP3 Players of 2009( Anythingbutipod.com Review)
Dec 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune software for ripping? Heck no. Two years ago I did, but I haven't ripped anything with it in a long time. I use dBpoweramp (in secure mode) for ripping. Out of the hundreds of rips I've done so far, it's only ended up skipping on one song without telling me there was an error. That's 1 song out of ~10,000 or more. As for converting it to MP3 and synching, I never tried that. That was during my "only use lossless" phase (I'm in my "OGG VBR q-8" phase now), so I didn't even consider it.

The Zune 120 did have several good points about it though. Good SQ when amped, large storage space, good battery life, big artwork, great UI and controls, the Zune pad, and the software was pretty easy to use. There were just lots of little things that they could have easily fixed with a firmware update, but they didn't, so I use Rockbox now. A Zune 120 Rockbox port would be so awesome, but I doubt it will happen any time soon, if ever.

Thats fair enough. I went through the lossless only phase too and i grew out of it. Just because i realised that i did not have the time/money to invest in getting all the things to make my portable setup sound as good as my home set up. So i just gave up got some iems and listen to them out of my zune or amp3 unamped. I agree that were some things about the zune 120 that needed to be fix and i know for sure that MS won't do anything for the older zunes. Which is kind of sad as i still use my zune 120.

Well i am glad that you are happy with rockbox...i have never used it personally but continue to hear good things about it...

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that were some things about the zune 120 that needed to be fix and i know for sure that MS won't do anything for the older zunes. Which is kind of sad as i still use my zune 120.

If there were more Zune users, and we all complained enough, something might actually get done. It was fun for a while, but I've moved on and found something that fits my needs much better.

Quote:

Well i am glad that you are happy with rockbox...i have never used it personally but continue to hear good things about it...

It's amazing, it really is. Not just the firmware, but the developers and their dedication to Rockbox and Rockbox users. Maybe the Zune will see a Rockbox port someday. Then we can see the true potential of the 120 unleashed.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use MediaMonkey. It's fast, efficient and much easier to organise my collection than iTunes...

Except if you have a mac, which beats windows hands down for all the same reasons you seem to like Media monkey. But since there is such antipathy to Apple, even if it is better, I bet a lot of people here would not consider it. I think that you should go with what works best for you, for your time constraints and lifestyles. If itunes is fast and easy and works well for you (which it does for me) and I don't need to spend days tinkering around with my library, then I use it. It doesn't show any lack of judgment or intelligence one way or the other, as many posters imply.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except if you have a mac, which beats windows hands down for all the same reasons you seem to like Media monkey. But since there is such antipathy to Apple, even if it is better, I bet a lot of people here would not consider it. I think that you should go with what works best for you, for your time constraints and lifestyles. If itunes is fast and easy and works well for you (which it does for me) and I don't need to spend days tinkering around with my library, then I use it. It doesn't show any lack of judgment or intelligence one way or the other, as many posters imply.

Yep, if I were using a Mac I'd be using iTunes... It's just that it runs like a dog on Windows. Funny thing is I used to be one of those staunch anti-iPod fanboys, two years of using an iPhone sure changed the way I viewed an iPod. Let a DAP just play music, screw all that tinkering I did with my iRiver: I have my guitar to do that with.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #66 of 73
[Whoops! Thought this thread was a page long! I've deleted this post as the points it made have been made further up already. Sorry all!]

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #67 of 73
Well, I will probably get a fuze or clip to replace my dead (after 4 years) iPod shuffle. The thing is, I cannot go for a lesser player as I have enjoyed very full sound for years, so anything like a Cowon will make me feel chill. I am really looking forward to getting a fuze and rocking its box.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, if I were using a Mac I'd be using iTunes... It's just that it runs like a dog on Windows. Funny thing is I used to be one of those staunch anti-iPod fanboys, two years of using an iPhone sure changed the way I viewed an iPod. Let a DAP just play music, screw all that tinkering I did with my iRiver: I have my guitar to do that with.
biggrin.gif

As you can probably see by my sig, I have run through a few DAP's, mostly in the quest for great sound and for some weird reason, I didn't want to be some Apple/iPod "fan boy".

Then, I received my iPod Classic last Christmas, and replaced my old, aged Dell desktop with a 13" Apple MacBook Pro in September of this year, and I don't see any need for any other set-ups! The iPod, iTunes, and the MacBook just work together seamlessly. There certainly was a disconnect between the PC and the iTunes.

My only complaint with the iPod is the EQ settings are not to my liking, just can't find a good, solid one, so I just leave it on "off" or "flat". Kinda miss the iAudio and it's graphic EQ.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Seems the Cowon S9 got gapless playback for both lossy (MP3, OGG) and lossless in a firmware update a few months ago. Very nice. Does it actually do proper gapless playback for LAME MP3?

Yes. I got an S9 for Christmas and am using it right now. Listening to Intrusion "The Seduction of Silence", an album which features 'blending' of one track into the next and it works perfectly.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by KGW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I got an S9 for Christmas and am using it right now. Listening to Intrusion "The Seduction of Silence", an album which features 'blending' of one track into the next and it works perfectly.

Sweet! Go Cowon.
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by KGW /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am very curious, Dose S9 can play gapless MP3 format music? please verify of us with you player. I have read other article said, it has a very short pause with such a technology to "blending" the tracks. how long the pause is it? can you hear it? Thanks.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #72 of 73
The blend/crossfade option is something different - you can use this to eliminate the gap in albums which have a 1-2 second recorded silence between each track.

What I meant was, on the album I was listening to, there are elements of each track which mix into the next track (i.e. it is meant to play as one long continuous piece of music with no silence in between tracks) and if it wasn't playing gapless-ly it would sound disjointed. It didn't. There was no audible gap at all.

I can do another test tonight with a different album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back