TOOL on HDtracks
Aug 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

CoryGillmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Everyone has been going crazy now that Tool is available on all the streaming services. But it's totally flying under the radar that their entire studio catalog is now available in 24/96 hi-res files on HDtracks! I'm a new Tool fan, like this year new Tool fan. I literally just bought all their studio albums on CD from Amazon in July. Even having done that, it didn't stop me from buying them all again just yesterday! I'm definitely hearing deifferces from my CDs. These are not just upsamples of the existing recordings. These are legit remasters!

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 84
If anyone else is interested there's also a discount code for 20% off for new releases, which would include the Tool titles. HDAug20 (expires Aug 5).

Some good/interesting discussion on the Tool remasters over @ Steve's place.

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 84
From the linked discussion looks like 10k Days is not remastered but the others are? Looks like it isn't destructive remastering?

EDIT: Doesn't look the like mastering is improved from early stuff i am seeing.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 84
If anyone else is interested there's also a discount code for 20% off for new releases, which would include the Tool titles. HDAug20 (expires Aug 5).

Some good/interesting discussion on the Tool remasters over @ Steve's place.
Damn I should’ve mentioned this! Saved me over $17 on the five album purchases.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 84
From the linked discussion looks like 10k Days is not remastered but the others are? Looks like it isn't destructive remastering?

EDIT: Doesn't look the like mastering is improved from early stuff i am seeing.
Everyone in there seems to be noticing the same improvements I am though. Could I pick the hi-res files blindly? Doubtful lol. But seeing the HR icon lit up on my ZX300 makes me all warm and fuzzy. I also love the alternate album art!

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 84
Placebo, confirmation bias, group think. I'll hold out for more analysis before paying for these again. The data so far posted with any kind of analysis of the mastering suggests it's volume boosted, which isn't a great indicator. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I'd love to get these in actual better quality in a convenient format without resorting to buying them on vinyl and ripping them.

(also, if you're enjoying them and feel like there is an improvement don't mind my ramblings)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 84
I have a few copies of everything they released along with bootlegs but if the HD Tracks are good I'm in .....

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 84
Remastered by whom and when.

I'm a "tool" fan too but I cannot recall any of their catalogue being remastered for release on HDTracks.

They seem to have been remastered from wave form analysis, as in they're not the same as previously. What I have seen so far doesn't suggest improvement though.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 84
Aug 20, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 84
Thanks for the link. Confirmed. Cannot wait. Thanks.:ok_hand:

What do you mean "cannot wait"? The so-called 'remasters' have been available for several weeks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back