Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Sep 1, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #782 of 1,162
  sorry ,kinda studying for my finals dint check my grammar ,
what i meant was 
are you saying that there was not much of a difference if you plug into your rig's 3.5mm port vs the UD120 ?,
because the rest of us we had major differences at least for me
,because my laptop does not have a dedicated sound card,so i was referring that maybe you do

Other wise for sit and listening session, the differences is not really significant like on board headphone jack vs UD1xx.

Perhaps you got confused with my writing. Haha. Sorry. Yeah, onboard headphone jack referring to the 3.5mm thingy.

In other word:
Modi, ODAC, UD100, Benchmark, Aune T1 = Not so much differences between these.
UD100 vs laptop 3.5mm = ****** yeah, so much different, and improvement.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #783 of 1,162
haha i see,dayum haven got the budget to try those ,
maybe in another 5 years when i start working 
but i think i am statisfied with UD120 ,hopefully for a little longer 
or else my wallet gone case haha

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #784 of 1,162
Very happy with my UD120 after a few days of playing around. I would describe it as very warm sounding. It sounds like what I would expect tube path on my Maverick A1+D1 to sound like.  silky and forward vocals, rolled off mid, good soundstage, fine detail present but not harsh or "analytical'.  Perfect for a long relaxed listening session. Makers of mid-fi DACS pay attention- notice has been served!

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #786 of 1,162
One more thing I found is that Fiio E10k uses a PCM5102 chip as well without the "A" as the U120 uses a PCM5102A. Similar?

And also I was also interested in the Fiio E07K but noticed in this page: http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000059783139&MenuID=105026003 They mentioned they changed the WM8740 to the PCM5102 to get better Sound Quality. Is this true?

I'm in a dilemma now lol. Might actually just get a Fiio if the difference between a PCM5102 and a PCM5102A is not much.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #787 of 1,162
Where can I get the UD120? And does it work with the computer? As I'll plug j to the PC to use it as a USB DAC most of the time. Or use an IEM with it

Take some time and read the last few pages please.

One more thing I found is that Fiio E10k uses a PCM5102 chip as well without the "A" as the U120 uses a PCM5102A. Similar?

Same thing... and also want to point out that having the same DAC chip doesn't mean having identical sound. Implementation is the key.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #789 of 1,162
Wow, I've got my UD120 for my Samsung S4 phone but it doesn't play audio without UAPP app I'm a bit sad.

I'm simple review.
Awesome sound quality with controlled tight Bass.
It helps my S4 audio output become loud maybe better gain.  
Clear sound.
Wide accurate sound stage.
Good treble & mids.

Cons:
Wouldn't work on Android Samsung S4 without UApp - No spotify :-[
It gets very Hot.
Need drivers for Linux Fedora OS - I'm looking into that 
Need high quality Headphone amp to get the best SQ.

Question: How does a DAP compare to a Samsung S4 or any good android phone with UAPP in sound quality?
Does one need a DAP?

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #790 of 1,162
Wow, I've got my UD120 for my Samsung S4 phone but it doesn't play audio without UAPP app I'm a bit sad.

I'm simple review.
Awesome sound quality with controlled tight Bass.
It helps my S4 audio output become loud maybe better gain.  
Clear sound.
Wide accurate sound stage.
Good treble & mids.

Cons:
Wouldn't work on Android Samsung S4 without UApp - No spotify :-[
It gets very Hot.
Need drivers for Linux Fedora OS - I'm looking into that 
Need high quality Headphone amp to get the best SQ.

Question: How does a DAP compare to a Samsung S4 or any good android phone with UAPP in sound quality?
Does one need a DAP?

Deducted audio players are a dying niche market. Generally a mp3 player with lossless support, built-it in DAC/amp, no internet connectivity. usually priced at least $200. Just buy a better portable DAC/amp for that price to hook up to your smartphone ftw. (+SD card for extra memory) & you are golden.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #791 of 1,162
Does one need a DAP?

All one needs are food, drink and shelter. Everything else is optional.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #792 of 1,162
Deducted audio players are a dying niche market. Generally a mp3 player with lossless support, built-it in DAC/amp, no internet connectivity. usually priced at least $200. Just buy a better portable DAC/amp for that price to hook up to your smartphone ftw. (+SD card for extra memory) & you are golden.

Cheers - I've installed UAPP for my Samsung S4 >UD120 > custom cMoyBB (18V) and future I'll upgrade to a custom EHP-02 with AD8620ARZ IC.> Beyer DT770 pro 250 ohm.
 Awesome SQ and price I've got.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #793 of 1,162

SD card support in phones is becoming less and less common.

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #795 of 1,162
SD card support in phones is becoming less and less common.

it's in all the flagship android phones of 2014 (except maybe the nexus). actually becoming more common :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back