Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Oct 5, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #61 of 1,162
might get one soon. im already missing the ESS sound (coming from an ES9018) and i want a cheaper solution =)

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #62 of 1,162
I'm actually just planning on running the UD100 from LO into either a portable or stationary amp and not really listening to it directly from the LO, so I do of course hope the signal is purely good for this purpose since I will accept no less :) but it should be from what I have read so far!  

So in my case absolutely no need for a PC volume control and it's also not really important to develop my twist and turn skills that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was kind of messing around  :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #63 of 1,162
Quote:
My Brief 1st Impressions:  

This is an audible upgrade over feeding the headphone-out of my Macbook Pro into the A2 and A5 speakers with stands.  The treble extension and presence is a little better with UD100 vs with the MBP alone or with my original uDAC, with a slightly bigger and less forward soundstage too.  In the past I've written that the original uDAC was just a little too dark with the Audioengine speakers, and I had switched to the DACport until I got my uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1.  The uD100 is a good match for these speakers.

But overall, the uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1 line-out both seem to have a little bigger soundstage than the uD100, with the DACport surpassing even those in soundstage depth and size.  Still, for $50 it shouldn't sound this close to the $130-170 DACs via line-out.  These all seem to have fairly comparable levels of detail (not including the original uDAC).  I do not think the UD100 is in the same league as myHDP with S11 PSU.  I know the S11 PSU makes the HDP sound more refined and holographic, but I can't compare things with the stock PSU right now because it's been misplaced.  Based on my past comparisons of stock HDP to the uDAC-2, and knowing where uDAC-2 stands vs the uD100, I don't think I would say that the uD100 is on par with the HDP as a DAC only.  Still, the UD100 is surprisingly good for the price (and size).

I do really wish that the volume could be controlled by the computer, or that it had some kind of physical volume control.  Instead I have to reach behind the A2 speakers to adjust the volume, or use a Westone in-line attenuator between the DAC and the speakers, which hurts clarity slightly.  Compared to my old $49 Headstage DAC cable (a PCM2706 by itself) the sound is also miles ahead.  But at least the Headstage DAC cable can have the volume adjusted via the PC system volume control, and it's using the same USB receiver chip as the UD100.

I bought the same TF card reader to transplant the DAC into later, but TF reader showed up in lime-green instead of black, so it's a little more fun but less professional looking.  No pics until I get this DAC installed.  I'm going to try feeding the UD100 into my SR-71b balanced amp in the next few days, and try it with my LCD-2 and HE-500.  More to come later (when I feel like it).

Excellent comments, HPA. Overall I take this as a fairly positive review of the  UD100 given its ~$49 price (and generally for any price). I look forward to your follow-on thoughts.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #64 of 1,162
I'd like to thank ClieOS for all the insight and great stuff that he brings to the table. Awesome!

Jelly Bean and this little finding might get my iPhone 4S on the sale forum as soon as Samsung releases a 64Gb SIII or a 64Gb Note 2.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #66 of 1,162
Oct 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #69 of 1,162
Quote:
I'll probably forget I ordered it by then!

That's the best(worst) thing about ordering stuff from Asia for me.  It takes so long that I forgot I ordered it and then get a pleasant surprise in the mail!

And as I have listened to it more compared to a recently acquired ODAC and my trusty Nuforce HDP, I do notice that the soundstage and the refinement aren't quite as there.  However, I am getting gobs of detail that I didn't notice before.  It has a more immediate presentation.  Overall, considering the ODAC was $150 and the HDP was $450 (combo device, though), which are both considered great values, this UD100 is one of the best values I have heard.  The HDP is still the most refined, however sometimes the more energetic presentation of the ODAC and UD100 are a nice change of pace.  In particular, I love the combo of the UD100 with my Cmoy (OPA2227) for electronica and other fun music.  Amazing combo for $100.  

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #71 of 1,162
To all the above roughly on the subject of "self surprise" yes - kind of what I was thinking. I just traded for a Pico amp/dac (my second - sold the first a couple years ago and have missed it). I'm interested in the comparison. At any rate, it is worth $52 just to see and hear this device.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #72 of 1,162
Quote:
To all the above roughly on the subject of "self surprise" yes - kind of what I was thinking. I just traded for a Pico amp/dac (my second - sold the first a couple years ago and have missed it). I'm interested in the comparison. At any rate, it is worth $52 just to see and hear this device.

Well, this is a DAC only, with no amp so it's apples and oranges.  I'd still prefer my Pico DAC-only over this, but if money was really tight I wouldn't be "unhappy" one bit to use this instead.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #73 of 1,162
Quote:

Well, this is a DAC only, with no amp so it's apples and oranges.  I'd still prefer my Pico DAC-only over this, but if money was really tight I wouldn't be "unhappy" one bit to use this instead.

I can compare it in how I would use it - Pico dac / amp, UD100 line in to Pico amp, Pico line out to Pico slim, UD100 line out to pico slim.  Not comparing dacs, but comparing listening solutions.  Mostly just an exercise in entertainment and "wasting" a bit of time.  Probably be sort of fun though.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #74 of 1,162
Quote:

In relative terms it is tight for me. (Spent a fortune on the Piano Forte IX. To many new gadgets coming out: iPad Mini, Nokia 920...) 

Glad to gear your assessment. I am happy indeed.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #75 of 1,162
Just received mine in the post today....... 6 days to the uk.... not bad!

Having never owned a DAC before i plugged this in and was blown away....... WOW

How have i never owned a DAC before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back