Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Sep 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 1,162
How does it compare for example with this one? Link

Looks cool. While larger, I like the layout better to use as a dac cable. The USB receiver is a more advanced chip allowing for higher def music, but implementation is the key. A while back there was a flood of pc270x USB chips attached to some wolfson chip. Some sounded great, and some sucked. But there was almost no way to tell based on the chips alone. Looks like the sabre dacs are hot now and these are just the first to come of different implementations. I don't know enough to look at a schematic and know if something is good or not. I will have to rely on more adventurous folks like Clios to test and give impressions. I also don't have a well enough trained ear to do useful analysis anyways. At any rate, I'm excited to see small, inexpensive, potentially very good sounding dacs coming to market. Helps budget fi people like me feel like the gap isn't so big for getting great sound.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #23 of 1,162
Looks cool. While larger, I like the layout better to use as a dac cable. The USB receiver is a more advanced chip allowing for higher def music, but implementation is the key. A while back there was a flood of pc270x USB chips attached to some wolfson chip. Some sounded great, and some sucked. But there was almost no way to tell based on the chips alone. Looks like the sabre dacs are hot now and these are just the first to come of different implementations. I don't know enough to look at a schematic and know if something is good or not. I will have to rely on more adventurous folks like Clios to test and give impressions. I also don't have a well enough trained ear to do useful analysis anyways. At any rate, I'm excited to see small, inexpensive, potentially very good sounding dacs coming to market. Helps budget fi people like me feel like the gap isn't so big for getting great sound.

Yep, it look quite good, though personally I prefer an USB socket instead of a short USB cable since I'll have to extend it onto my desk fromt he back of my PC. I am saving up for a bigger purchase on the end of the month so I am not going to get this for now. Maybe at a later time.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 1,162
One day in and I am enjoying the UD100 greatly playing music from Foobar into the Meier Audio Stepdance and my Final Audio Piano Forte IX. I do not find the UD100 to have that bright, digital edginess that sometimes prevents me from enjoying my Headroom Micro DAC, yet it is still plenty dynamic and detailed. Overall I find the sound to be clean and musical. I am pleased with this purchase. In my view, the UD100 represents excellent value for a USB DAC.

This is my first experience with the Sabre ES9023 chip so I cannot make any comparisons to other similarly configured DACs.

(Actually I have heard the DX100 DAP but that uses the ES9018 chip. It was also many months ago and before I owned the PF IX. I really cannot make any useful comparisons.)

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 1,162
Thanks for the impressions! Hopefully mine will arrive in the next couple weeks. I have both a Nuforce uDAC and HDP to compare to. And if I don't screw it up, I should have my O2 finished to test with.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 1,162
Mine is in the country... just haven't had a chance to collect it from the post depot. Hopefully it will make a difference going into my BX5a's instead of the uDAC 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back