Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
May 2, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #511 of 1,162
I highly recommend the addition of a USB isolation board and power supply. This opens up the sound considerably and is another worthy purchase. I use these:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64
with the upgraded Cardas cable:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=173

Hello, so glad you posted this. I have a question for you. The buffer power board runs on 8-15 VDC. Do you think that there would be any advantage to using a 12V sealed lead acid battery to power the buffer (over the power supply you listed here)? I'm guessing that having a power source that is pure DC should be an improvement over having a rectified AC source. There's no 60 Hz buzz to filter out. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Wow. I never knew such a product exists.
I am actually looking for this. Cos from RMAA result, there are 50Hz noise which I believe came from the power adaptor of the USB hub. See below: 

May 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #512 of 1,162

I would refrain from making subjective hearing impression about sound quality as I'm not a pro reviewer.
However, for an operational point of view, my CIEM is too sensitive to be used with either cMoyBB (gain: 6db) or E12 (gain: 0db).
With volume set at 100% on my laptop, I could barely pass 9 o'clock on both amp. And at 9 o'clock, potentiometer channel imbalance is very audible.
On iPhone, the UD110 is running at 100% volume and you can't adjust the volume via the iPhone. 

I forgot to quote in the previous post..
Sorry.

May 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #513 of 1,162
Firstly, based on RMAA results, iPhone5S is actually pretty good.

Subjective Impression:
With laptop UD110+cmoy, I do hear improvement in sound. You get a less congested sound. Bass has more punch and impact.
For the price, you can't go wrong with UD110+cmoy.

Personal opinion:
Please take RMAA as a guide and listen to the product where possible before purchase.
In my opinion, RMAA measure signal output from the device but it can't tell how the device process and output the audio file.
For example, I had a tiny bad experience with iPod which i posted my findings on head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646993/ipod-touch-5-hp-out-vs-line-out-via-lightning-report-c-w-graph-and-audio-clips
The problem was there throughout all version of iOS6 and was finally solved when I upgraded to iOS7.
Using either firmware, RMAA results showed no abnormalities.

For me, I'll never buy a product:
i) that has high frequency and/or low frequency roll-off on the FR graph.
ii) that has excessive noise and THD. Even though these noise are at a level not audible during normal listening.

May 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #514 of 1,162
  I understand and thanks for the reply. But you dont notice any difference than with an other headphone from iPhone only vs iPhone+UD110+cmoy or laptop+ud110+cmoy? I was looking for these results for months, I dont mind if its a a subjective impression :), I am really interested.. 

Thanks!

See reply at above post.

May 3, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #515 of 1,162
Did a search through here... couldn't find a solid solution. How do I get this thing to work on an iPhone 5?

I saw for the iphone 4 someone had to use the Camera Connection Kit (30 pin to USB) to connect it to a 3rd party hub.

May 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #516 of 1,162

Subjective Impression:
With laptop UD110+cmoy, I do hear improvement in sound. You get a less congested sound. Bass has more punch and impact.
For the price, you can't go wrong with UD110+cmoy.

Personal opinion:
Please take RMAA as a guide and listen to the product where possible before purchase.
In my opinion, RMAA measure signal output from the device but it can't tell how the device process and output the audio file.
For example, I had a tiny bad experience with iPod which i posted my findings on head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646993/ipod-touch-5-hp-out-vs-line-out-via-lightning-report-c-w-graph-and-audio-clips
The problem was there throughout all version of iOS6 and was finally solved when I upgraded to iOS7.
Using either firmware, RMAA results showed no abnormalities.

For me, I'll never buy a product:
i) that has high frequency and/or low frequency roll-off on the FR graph.
ii) that has excessive noise and THD. Even though these noise are at a level not audible during normal listening.

Thanks, but I was sure that its an improvement over the onboard audio of a laptop. My main question how much difference you experience between iPhone only vs iPhone+ud110+amp? I cant listen these combo in my country, because I dont know anybody who has it...

May 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #517 of 1,162
  Did a search through here... couldn't find a solid solution. How do I get this thing to work on an iPhone 5?

I saw for the iphone 4 someone had to use the Camera Connection Kit (30 pin to USB) to connect it to a 3rd party hub.

Pictures speak a thousand words.
USB Y cable can be connected to either Power Bank or USB port.

May 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #519 of 1,162
Having lived with the UD110mk2 for some time(and recently with an USB isolator) I compared it with the ODAC and I have to say that with the isolator, the ODAC really pulls ahead of the UD110mk2 and not by a small margin. Without isolation though, I would prefer the UD110mk2, just less troublesome then the ODAC. Some tips for the designer to improve on would be better clocking, despite Async operation, the UD110mk2 tends to have little jitter rejection at the low frequencies which will affect measured performance and maybe what we hear. You can really see this in the above measurements where the base of the 1khz tone tends to be spreaded/skirting, I too have my own set of measurements. Here is mine with the SB1240.

here is the SB1240 in loopback for reference although its a bit hard to see since the graphs are scaled differently, there is some skirting at the base of the signal which is low frequency jitter.

May 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #521 of 1,162

Does anybody own the E-MU here?  How does it sound?  I like the numbers, but they don't reveal much since they are way below human perception.  They measure well at GoldenEars also, but maybe the output impedance is the problem..  

May 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #524 of 1,162
  But that difference is experienced between the iPhone only and iPhone + UD110 + cmoy?
Sorry for disturbing with this, but I am planning to order both devices, and I really would like to know if its worth the investment..

Thank again! 

The previous comparison was between iPhone and laptop UD110+cmoy.
I tried iPhone and iPhone + UD110 + cmoy. My opinion still remain same.
To me, Laptop + UD110 + cmoy does sound similar if not the same as iPhone + UD110 +cmoy.
I definitely enjoyed listening to iPhone + UD110 + cmoy more than just from iPhone.

Hopefully, other head-fiers can try out my above set-up. I believe many can give better subjective impression than me.

And if you intend to get cmoy for iem, please remember to request for one with gain: 0db. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back