Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #796 of 5,203

So on my Linux box, I did some testing and removed the dmix layer. Tidal HiFi gets close to Clementine MP3 V0, but every song still has noticeably more depth with Clementine. Not sure what else I can do with the Mac.

Here's my setup if you're curious: 
Mac: [Music] > USB Schiit Modi > Schiit Vali > Beyerdynamic T90
Linux: [Music] > Optical Schiit Modi > Mackie MR6mk3
Where [Music] is either Clementine playing FLAC/MP3V0, or Chrome playing Tidal HiFi.

I have no idea, I don't imagine Chrome has any sort of downsampling (afterall, Tidal HiFi only works on Chrome). 

I have ripped CDs of the same track played through Foobar vs. Tidal HiFi and couldn't hear a difference. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #797 of 5,203

I have no idea, I don't imagine Chrome has any sort of downsampling (afterall, Tidal HiFi only works on Chrome). 

I have ripped CDs of the same track played through Foobar vs. Tidal HiFi and couldn't hear a difference. 

Not down sampling, just re-sampling in order to mix audio from multiple sources on a page and tabs. Here's how I tested it: on my Linux box I configured my default audio output to bypass the dmix (the Linux ALSA audio mixer which itself does ****ty re-sampling). Playing music from Chrome, no other application can play audio at the same time (since dmix is being bypassed). But I can play audio from Tidal and Youtube at the same time, meaning it does its own ****ty mixing.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #798 of 5,203
I've discovered how to disable Chrome's re-sampler by running it with "--disable-audio-output-resampler" flag. Without going through dmix, Youtube doesn't have sound, but for some reason Tidal does. But using dmix, Chrome can play from Tidal and Youtube, at the same time even. I'll have to compare audio quality when I have some more time later.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #799 of 5,203
Although I enjoy the new, improved Tidal I was disturbed when I received my credit card statement today. I subscribed using a Canadian credit card, and as I understand it the price is CDN$19.99. Yet the card, with a Canadian billing address, was billed in $US, which currently means a 25% exchange premium. In addition, I signed up for a one-month trial on March 30 and was billed in April 15, two weeks later. Something is not right here. I sent an email to support and the automated form said I would receive confirmation of my support request. No confirmation was received. I await an answer.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #800 of 5,203
It seems like there are at least a couple of people listnening to Al Green at this forum. If you have´nt heard of Jungle I suggest you check this out:

http://listen.tidalhifi.com/playlist/e01352da-35c6-4b8e-bcb6-cfae688d2f44

No trace of studio butchered sound here! Just pure joy! :)

/Micael

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #801 of 5,203
...and while you are at it you might even listned to this:

http://listen.tidalhifi.com/playlist/c10c3c67-0a41-4185-b807-8f027554e4f1

Enjoy! :)

/Micael

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #802 of 5,203
I think a separate link with good sounding recordings in Tidal should be set up in Head-Fi for music lovers. I vote for Mike to get this going! :wink: If not I might do it myself despite limited time due to my kids. Love the concept though! :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #804 of 5,203
Update on Tidal audio quality. Seems like the diminished quality was isolated to the song I was using to test. "FKA Twigs - Two Weeks" is on Tidal but as a single, so I'm guessing they got it from a not so optimal source.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #805 of 5,203
I've got a great one to add to the list - Eva Cassidy, Live at the Blues 

I like Eva Cassidy...but my only problem is that "Live at the Blues Alley" seems to be unavailable in my country, eg. Sweden. Damn Tidal! :wink:

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #807 of 5,203
...or maybe damn record labels? 

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #808 of 5,203
  Update on Tidal audio quality. Seems like the diminished quality was isolated to the song I was using to test. "FKA Twigs - Two Weeks" is on Tidal but as a single, so I'm guessing they got it from a not so optimal source.

I know from you´re previous quotoes that you are using Mac and Linux. I´m just a simple Windows Vista user...but for the best improvements through Tidal you will need a bitperfect software as well as enhancers to get the sound right via a computer. I use Asio Bridge as a software that speaks asio with my hardware (wich Tidal does´nt). Furthermore I use Fidelizer to end all my unneccessary window processes and Jplay 6 to make the final improvements like the new Dac link feature (speaking directly to my external Dac) that brings my system to top notch performance. If you reach the top notch improvments there are a few things that you should bear in mind. First of all: All bad recordings will sound even worse than before! Second issue is that the really good recordings will bring you closer to music heaven! Looks through your setup. If you cannot use your iOs volume control you are in bitperfect mode. That is not the holy grale! However, it is one step closer. When you have got all hardware and software correct you will noitice it....both with Tidal and with HQ Player or similar. The sound will tell bad recordings from good ones instantly! With Mac or Linux computer you are left to search your´re luck on Mac/Linux forums for bitperfect audio and enhancers (except for Jplay 6 that you MUST use). I´m not the one that could give you suggetions of software and hardware....I´m just giving your the path of you´re journey! :wink:

/Micael

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #809 of 5,203
I know your frustration with this. There have been quite a few albums that are unavailable to me in the States.

Actually, I got one interesting fact out of Eva Cassidy. The "Best of" actually sounded better that the origial album! :)

http://listen.tidalhifi.com/album/32648980

However, I cannot play more than two different albums from Eva Cassidy in Sweden....so the statistik evidence is not even close to true! Consider it as a closed case! :wink:

/Micael

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #810 of 5,203
Bah, i've been using the hifi tidal service for a couple of weeks now and i only just realised that firefox only supports 320k streaming and it sets the audio quality to normal 96k aac by default on moble devices. I guess my Lo-Fi ears cant even tell the difference lol, maybe i should just subscribe to the regular service
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back