Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 11, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5,251 of 6,500
Quote:purrin
 Look out for a YouTube video where I burn it and smash it to pieces.

Another community announcement in the never-ending quest to inform and educate the plebicite that vox populi is not to be trusted.

May 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,252 of 6,500
You like burning stuff eh? You related to the Asgard, or was it the Magni?...can't remember...

May 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #5,253 of 6,500
  Ha-ha
darthsmile.gif

wink_face.gif

May 11, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,254 of 6,500

I'm gonna go a bit easier on those who ask questions that have already been answered, in the future; I did a search, and I couldn't get much. 
blink.gif

Thanks for the info. Bass goes "lower" and "with more authority", combined with "doesn't draw attention to itself". Damn! I wish I didn't ask; I don't think the wife will let me sell the car, to buy some hifi. Double damn!! I don't even own a car, at the mo'! Now, what can I sell, to get an Yggy? 
confused.gif

The wife?

May 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,255 of 6,500
You like burning stuff eh? You related to the Asgard, or was it the Magni?...can't remember...

It seems you have a bone to pick and I get it. I'm a skeptic at heart, just like you seem to be. Schiit had growing pains in their first couple months of operation like any new start-up. That, the hype surrounding it, and their "nonchalant" attitude made me initially avoid their products. So I waited for things to settle and see where the company went.

I've been on HF 8 years now, and I didn't own a single Schiit product until 2015. A few months ago, it seemed the company had stabilized and the products matured enough (the second gen products) that I was willing to take a leap of faith.

Trust me, I would have been the first to call them out on their BS. However, they are legit. I can't speak to their prior products as I have never heard or owned them, but Schiit is for real in their current form and second gen products. I've only had good experiences with them and they are a company that can stand behind great sounding and carefully engineered products that are very fairly priced.

You are doing yourself a disservice as a lover of good sound if you don't keep an open mind.

May 11, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #5,257 of 6,500
As far as I can find there's precious little discussion about the TDA1541 around here. @Purrin mentions it, but he seems to get it mixed up with the 1543, and won't elaborate; I've asked.
To me, this seems an omission; the 1541 has such a following. Whether this attention is truly justified, I'm not sure; that's what I've been hoping the discussion, on this thread, might go some way to answering!

Obviously, I'd like to hear about any impressions in comparing the Audial S; what, if any, are worthy competitors? Also, it looks like you've tried some original 90's dacs, perhaps with some modifications, such as a NOS conversion; what did you try and can you give some of your impressions?

Cheers.

I also find that Audial interesting. NOS and R2R sounds at least like an original combo ... maybe even unique nowadays.

Here's another pretty enthusiastic review
http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/429/audial-model-dac

May 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,258 of 6,500

As far as I can find there's precious little discussion about the TDA1541 around here. @Purrin mentions it, but he seems to get it mixed up with the 1543, and won't elaborate; I've asked.
To me, this seems an omission; the 1541 has such a following. Whether this attention is truly justified, I'm not sure; that's what I've been hoping the discussion, on this thread, might go some way to answering!

Obviously, I'd like to hear about any impressions in comparing the Audial S; what, if any, are worthy competitors? Also, it looks like you've tried some original 90's dacs, perhaps with some modifications, such as a NOS conversion; what did you try and can you give some of your impressions?

I'm not sure if purrin has the TDA1543 mixed up. Maybe, maybe not. I don't believe he has them mixed up based on a small conversation I had with him a couple weeks back. I know he had some doubts about the TDA1541As datasheet at least in terms of reported INL/DNL.

The TDA1541A is a whole different ball game compared to the TDA1543, as I'm sure you know. Based on what little experience I have with DACs that use either chip and what research I've done, just in terms of tone and such, the 1543 is warmer, more forward and aggressive, and otherwise just generally less capable on all technical levels. But it can make for an enjoyable listen from a budget DAC. When I see a TDA1543 DAC costing over $500 or, worse, $1000, I just have to shake my head. I don't care how many chips you parallel together. It's still a TDA1543.

I believe TDA1541A, standard grade, is rated for worst case scenario +/- 1 LSB, per the datasheet (still trying to dig for more info and clarification on 1541 lsb error). The various "grades" of the chip have different performance tolerances, some which are rated at worst case of 0.5 to 1LSB depending on bit, I believe. That's not to say you can't find a regular 1541A chip that performs on par with the S1 or S2 grade chips, just that the S1/S2 chips are guaranteed for a higher level of performance.

FWIW, Pedja of Audial hand picks the chips from a very specific batch of TDA1541As, from a '98 run in Taiwan. They're not S1/S2 grade, but subjectively and measurably he says they should perform as such. I have to trust him, because, as far as I know, he's well known in the DIY world for his experience working with and knowledge on the TDA1541A, and I've seen him post comparative measurements of various graded chips. (Can't say how much he knows/doesn't know compared to anyone else, so not saying he's necessarily the bestest.)

From what I've read according to those that design DACs around the TDA1541A, you can get somewhere around 15-15.5 ENOB (effective number of bits) on a good design and assuming you get a good chip from a good batch. I think chips like the PCM63 or AD1862 can reach a higher ENOB, but I also believe they are rated higher than 16-bits. TDA1541A is rated at a max of 16-bits. Compare this to the rumored chips that Metrum uses, which could be anywhere from 12-14 ENOB, which wouldn't be too far off from the TDA1543 (not 1541). TotalDAC with 0.01% resistors may only be able to get 14 ENOB, maybe. I don't have enough knowledge to explain how/why the TotalDAC does so well with static measurements but is rumored to really have only 14-bit performance max. 6-moons wrote a bit about this a while back, and there are other rumors floating around. I get why it might be limited to 14 ENOB, but not sure about the static measurements. Same thing for that new soekris DIY discrete ladder DAC.

Would I have gone with a PCM63-based non-oversampling DAC if available? I definitely would have considered it. That or the AD1862. I just didn't see any available or appealing options that at least looked like they were well designed and came close to maxing out said chip's performance. I know MHDT labs is/was going to put out a non-oversampled, AD1862-based DAC, but A) I have no idea when it will be available, B) I don't know what it will cost, and C) based on reviews I read of other MHDT DACs, I decided the design might not be to my tastes or as good as I'd like. The Metrum Pavane might have better accuracy than the Hex or similar, but it's too pricy, and the listed THD still concerns me about its true performance.

Another thing I've read from DIY DAC designers is that getting the TDA1541A to reach its specified, max potential is rather difficult. And when you're going for a non-oversampled design, it becomes that much more difficult to get it to look good with objective measurements. It seems the only thing holding the Audial Model S back is variance between the left/right channel performance on the chip, which I've read is common or to be expected on the TDA1541A or TDA1543. But, as I said, the main different between the left channels is almost exclusively in the 2nd order distortion, per my (unpublished) measurements. It still looks a whole hell of a lot better in measurements than the Metrum Hex did, and sounds it too. I'm not going to split hairs if the left channel reports 0.007% THD at 0dB 1khz tone and right reports 0.002%, and only due to 2nd order differences. For the most part, looks good on paper, and sounds great to my ears.

Even outside of good performance on paper/datasheets, the TDA1541A has a following because a lot of people simply like its tone. It's just very natural sounding and fatigue free without being boring, slow, too colored, glossing over details, and so on. As I understand it, though, you really need a good, beefy design to really bring out its true dynamic performance. Then you have fans that prefer the PCM63 or AD1862 for different reasons, general tone and different technical qualities. They all look good on paper, so assuming you put them in a good implementation, it really comes down to personal tastes after that point.

ANYWAY...let me know if you want further details beyond the Model S impressions I already provided. I know I already wrote a lot, more than intended, but I will be publishing a full review in the near future. I only have the Theta Gen Va on hand to directly compare it against, though I will do what I can to compare it against the Metrum Hex, Audio-GD NOS1704, and Classe DAC-1 based on memory.

Never tried any mods on these DACs, though it would have been cool to try to get the Classe DAC-1 to run in non-oversample mode. I'm not an electrical engineer of any sorts, or what have you, so that's way outside my expertise. (And, of course because of this, call me out if I misunderstood or got something wrong, please.)

Don't get me wrong...something like the Yggy definitely will beat the Audial Model S in terms of sheer techincal proficiency and accuracy. Had I not required a non-oversampled DAC for my primary setup, I easily would have gone that route. It's such a no-brainer vs. the hunt I had to go through to find the Model S. And I'm sure I'll get a DAC with trickle down Yggy tech in the future as a secondary/complementary DAC. So, anyway, that's just a lot of unnecessary details about the TDA1541A and how I came to my decision to get the Model S, but the vast majority of people are going to be best served by something like the Yggy.

May 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #5,260 of 6,500
I did get them mixed up. The Valab / Teradac stuff uses the 1543. DIY HiFi Supply used to offer a kit version of a TDA1541 DAC. The name of that DAC eludes me Satch DAC, but I'm sure more than a few people on HF have heard it. I liked it quite a bit, but not resolving enough for me.

May 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,261 of 6,500
audionote dac are R2R and NOS dac  but you had to do with their tube power supply and linestage coming with so definitely not a simple dac  but can be many  the only thing is that you have to play with ( tube rolling ,capacitor rolling, interstage and output transformer rolling,)    at the end it's fun to play Diy with  but not the easy way to get the best of it.

May 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,263 of 6,500
  audionote dac are R2R and NOS dac  but you had to do with their tube power supply and linestage coming with so definitely not a simple dac  but can be many  the only thing is that you have to play with ( tube rolling ,capacitor rolling, interstage and output transformer rolling,)    at the end it's fun to play Diy with  but not the easy way to get the best of it.

I didn't want to go the DIY route (I can barely solder the simplest things), plus I saw measurements of one of the Audio Note CD players, and it did not look so good. I mean, don't get me wrong...I liked the Metrums, and they measured poorly too. But this time around, I wanted to get something that sounded good and measured nicely. I'm not chasing a million zeroes after the decimal point, but there is something to be said about good measurements at times.

I might also be confusing companies. Aren't there two different Audio Note companies...something like that? I remember being confused by that, which was also a turn off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back