Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 5, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,877 of 6,500
2nd @Stillhart, go for "open box" HE560's, or to spice things up, Grado PS500e..

May 5, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,878 of 6,500
Did a search of the Thread and there isn't much on the Mojo Audio's Mystique NOS DAC, Marv do you have any experience with this item. Engineers on the Thread, how does it compare to the Yggy in design?

Thanks!!!

May 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,879 of 6,500
  I found the DT800 completely dry and boring. The DT990 has more meat on the bones, so to speak, and is much more fun, but sometimes the treble can really sizzle.

The DT880 comes alive with certain amps (the tube variety mostly), I found it quite good out of my Crack and it is still pretty good from the Vali. This is the 600ohm version.

May 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #4,880 of 6,500
  DT 880 are reasonably priced. I don't see myself spending over 700 $ on a pair of headphones.

What is your top price you would be willing to shell out for a new headphone? I would say spend as much as you can on the headphone as that is very important, likely the most important part of your headphone system. If people know your ceiling (in US dollars) they will give you the best advice based on that information. I would even say slow down if need be to save a little extra and get as decent a headphone as you can, it is that important in the chain.

May 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #4,881 of 6,500
  DT 880 are reasonably priced. I don't see myself spending over 700 $ on a pair of headphones.

Since you like your momentums, I'm making a good assumption that you're somewhat of a basshead. If $700 is your max, then I would suggest a used LCD2 which pairs very well with the Asgard 2. You can find one used for about that much. The LCD2 is on the warm side with a good lower end slam that will have you smiling. 

May 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,882 of 6,500
It is a bit of an audiophile-sport to blame computers for whatever (they think) is wrong in their systems.
Agree, PC are overly complicated, unstable, ugly and so on ... but no, they are not eating any of your music bits
smily_headphones1.gif
. And if for some mysterious reason you think that your PC is the electric-devil which fills your DAC with the ugliest electrons ever, just buy a battery and a dual-head usb cable and $40 later the universe will be back in order
wink.gif
. Besides, it's the DAC's job to isolate itself from eventual transport noise.. and one of the main reasons why separate DACs exist.

I can't say I'm surprised with the pro usb computer audio attitude that you, and others have; it's the chosen source/transport for most on here. And as someone else mentions, there's a whole industry expanded around this concept; the concept of upgrading and improving on something that you already own, your computer. Why spend money on another source?

I think, based on good science and sound advice, differently. I haven't bought anything to connect my computer to my dac; I've invested in a different concept, that I believe offers better sound per buck (even though I too already own a pc). After all, isn't that what we're all trying to do?
And I use forums, like this, to share ideas and opinions. I try not to dismiss others opinions, certainly not without good reason (and reasoning). But I should try harder to consider thinking that's different to mine, I know; it's being open to new ideas that makes progress happen, after all.

Let's just say that we agree to disagree. Only I hope that I haven't mocked your point of view (maybe without fully understanding it) in the process! 
blink.gif

May 5, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4,883 of 6,500
Let the schitt stack burn in as one member suggested.  No need to start throwing money at more cans until you allow brain or electrical (whatever you believe / worship...LMAO) burn-in happen.  That's the best advice I've seen for a college student on here thus far.

Happy listening.

HS

May 5, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #4,884 of 6,500
  I'm very treble sensitive, and the DT990s are very track-dependent. If the track is hot, it's bad. But, they don't make good tracks suddenly bad.

The sibilance and harshness coming out of DT990s from any track I've listened to  – is hard for me to bear to for any extended period of time. I have a pair of the 600 Ω version and I hate saying I made the wrong decision, but I would have chose another first-purchase set of cans if I were to do it again.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

May 5, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,885 of 6,500
As you are surely beginning to see, you will get contradictory opinions on every headphone option on head-fi :D

The best way to choose a headphone is listen for yourself to a number of them. Don't take our word for any of it - it's what works (suits your preferences, types of music, typical listening volume etc) for you!

May 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #4,886 of 6,500
Not really. Most people who are experienced will have similar opinions, e.g. DT990s are tough. Consider DT880 in 250 or 600 ohm versions - smoother treble. Since DT800 is semi-open, also consider HD600. The HD600 with a good DAC and amp is an endgame setup, pricey orthos not withstanding (probably a minority view here that HD600/HD650s are really that good).

May 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #4,887 of 6,500

I²S is probably the best connection; it's carries the important clocking data, along with the music feed. But, it's only going to be as good as the clock that's feeding it. Any usb to I²S converter also needs to be a reclocking device (I guess that the U12 etc are?).
But this still doesn't overcome the two main drawbacks of usb connection: Firstly, your computer is playing the music (not ideal); secondly, your computer is (most likely) electrically connected, and propagating all that RFI to your precious equipment!

I2S is also not designed as an digital IC connection between components - the signal degrades easily.  HDMI I2S greatly improves on this.

Noise from the computer is a big problem.  I have done 180 on my linear PSU from Teradak.  I can't go back to switching ATX.  The switching supply is glarey, 2D, lacks inner resolution, timing, focus - it is only more forward and noisy in a bad way.  Unfortunately my PSU set off the smoke detector, so not sure if I'm overloading the 12V rails or something (apparently there was an odour but my nose is blocked so I have no idea if something is cooked and also can say if this was normal odour eg off-gassing).  Temps on the heatsink near the 12V lines were about 55 C.  Has anyone had off-gassing electronics set off smoke detector?  The PSU appears to work fine so I have no idea - maybe just the unseasonably warm weather.  The CPU could be pusing the 12V lines too hard - its a i7 3770K which I figure could draw up like 120W and the two 12V lines are rated at 10 A.  Maybe I should have been more conservative and gone with a low power CPU.  I am tempted to buy a 3770T anyway to avoid pushing the PSU too hard.  It is just impossible to go back to using switching ATX PSU.

May 6, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,888 of 6,500
  Not really. Most people who are experienced will have similar opinions, e.g. DT990s are tough. Consider DT880 in 250 or 600 ohm versions - smoother treble. Since DT800 is semi-open, also consider HD600. The HD600 with a good DAC and amp is an endgame setup, pricey orthos not withstanding (probably a minority view here that HD600/HD650s are really that good).

I agree, the HD600/650s measure very well, and sound very well. The fact that they do nothing really wrong is already a small blessing in the headphone world.

May 6, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,889 of 6,500
  Hey guys !

I received yesterday my Schiit stack (Gungnir + Asgard 2 + Wyrd) !!! 
darthsmile.gif

It is simply amazing...

Hi ! how can this be possible ?  The dac should suck being based on a delta-sigma dac chip
evil_smiley.gif

No seriously ... i would like to understand if sigma-delta dac chips have "intrinsically impaired dynamics" (as i strongly suspect), or it is more a matter of right/wrong implementation.
Or maybe not all sigma-delta chips are made equal ?
Let's take two very good dacs (based on reviews around):
  1. Bricasti M1
  2. Berkeley Audio Reference dac
They are both built aroung the ad1955.
I have a question for the people who have been "exposed" to these dacs ...

do they really suck ?  and if so in which way ?

Thanks and regards, gino

May 6, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #4,890 of 6,500

I2S is also not designed as an digital IC connection between components - the signal degrades easily.  HDMI I2S greatly improves on this.

Noise from the computer is a big problem.  I have done 180 on my linear PSU from Teradak.  I can't go back to switching ATX.  The switching supply is glarey, 2D, lacks inner resolution, timing, focus - it is only more forward and noisy in a bad way.  Unfortunately my PSU set off the smoke detector, so not sure if I'm overloading the 12V rails or something (apparently there was an odour but my nose is blocked so I have no idea if something is cooked and also can say if this was normal odour eg off-gassing).  Temps on the heatsink near the 12V lines were about 55 C.  Has anyone had off-gassing electronics set off smoke detector?  The PSU appears to work fine so I have no idea - maybe just the unseasonably warm weather.  The CPU could be pusing the 12V lines too hard - its a i7 3770K which I figure could draw up like 120W and the two 12V lines are rated at 10 A.  Maybe I should have been more conservative and gone with a low power CPU.  I am tempted to buy a 3770T anyway to avoid pushing the PSU too hard.  It is just impossible to go back to using switching ATX PSU.

I must admit, that slipped my mind; I2S is only good for ultra-short runs.
Is hdmi (and ethernet) actually I2S, or something similar? Anyway, I understand that these, and displayport (even better), all carry that important clocking signal that both usb and spdif omit.

There are lots negatives about computer connected audio. I'm afraid that most on here do not want to consider any alternatives, probably because they've already invested in various cables and converters and reclockers and...so on.

I say, if you want to connect your computer to your dac, go ahead. But remember, it's for convenience; you're unlikely to be getting the best from your music files and the most for your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back