Thinksound Rain 2 [Australia - New Zealand Tour] - Review and Impressions
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 29
Well im listening to them now. Im thinking these have a hump  in the upper mids that I dont like cause its making female vocals abit shouty sibilant?? But it seems if I put it in the OUTPUT 2 (P-B output meant for Ety's ERP) in my CC BH these are traits are largely negated. I've set it to high gain SF (soundstage switch) and LF (Bass Boost) switch on. Im enjoying them now! Also Im using a new app on my Apple Ipad, Its called Equaliser by Audioforge, a paid app but there's so much more detail retrieval than the standard apple music player.

I think DSNuts also touched on this as per below:

Thus far some negatives on the sound. These are somewhat picky about sources. They do sound great in general with the variety of sources I am using with them however I can tell these are sensitive to impedance matching. Meaning these require a low impedance out source to sound their best. Higher output sources or high gain mode on most amps will make them sound less refined especially in the upper regions of sound. I have had them on the burn now for 2 days and nights straight and the sound is balancing out more so than on open listen and treble seems to benefit the most thus far. It went from being hidden to full on with solid improvement in definition, but exhibits a slight peak for vocals which is completely gone with something like a Geek Out .47 Ohm out match.

Overall though these are very impressive. I don't know if I would call them ruler neutral, they are certainly not analytical in sound signature. They have great balance but the sound definitely has coloration as most do. While not audiophile flat it has some very deceptive depth and fullness you would not associate with how average the earphones look. These don't have extra chambers or a housing that is larger than average but what it does have is a taller and fuller, deeper sound than average but has a solid amount of sound stage to pull it off. Here is where these remind me a bit of the CKR10 sound signature which is the only other iem I own that has this same type of trait in the sound. The crazy thing is the CKR10 has dual oversized drivers in push pull mode with a much larger housing to pull it off. The Rain2 looks humbly average almost boring in comparison. How many cheapo made in China woodies look just like these is my point. Very deceptive in how one would think these would sound. But as you all know it is all about the tuning.

The wood gives a very natural tonality to the overall sound that just works with dynamic drivers. It went from too warm on open listen to a much more even balanced and naturally smooth sound. Guys that are snapping up on this deal are getting one heck of a deal for these. Much like how the FX850 is about enjoying your tunes so are these Rain2s. These are not the end all for definition or timbre or stage, balance or depth. But they do solidly in all these aspects and when put together in one cohesive sound. One of the biggest surprises for me this year.

Edited by Dsnuts - 12/14/14 at 2:00am

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #17 of 29
  Well im listening to them now. Im thinking these have a hump  in the upper mids that I dont like cause its making female vocals abit shouty sibilant?? But it seems if I put it in the OUTPUT 2 (P-B output meant for Ety's ERP) in my CC BH these are traits are largely negated. I've set it to high gain SF (soundstage switch) and LF (Bass Boost) switch on. Im enjoying them now! Also Im using a new app on my Apple Ipad, Its called Equaliser by Audioforge, a paid app but there's so much more detail retrieval than the standard apple music player.

I think DSNuts also touched on this as per below:

Thus far some negatives on the sound. These are somewhat picky about sources. They do sound great in general with the variety of sources I am using with them however I can tell these are sensitive to impedance matching. Meaning these require a low impedance out source to sound their best. Higher output sources or high gain mode on most amps will make them sound less refined especially in the upper regions of sound. I have had them on the burn now for 2 days and nights straight and the sound is balancing out more so than on open listen and treble seems to benefit the most thus far. It went from being hidden to full on with solid improvement in definition, but exhibits a slight peak for vocals which is completely gone with something like a Geek Out .47 Ohm out match.

Overall though these are very impressive. I don't know if I would call them ruler neutral, they are certainly not analytical in sound signature. They have great balance but the sound definitely has coloration as most do. While not audiophile flat it has some very deceptive depth and fullness you would not associate with how average the earphones look. These don't have extra chambers or a housing that is larger than average but what it does have is a taller and fuller, deeper sound than average but has a solid amount of sound stage to pull it off. Here is where these remind me a bit of the CKR10 sound signature which is the only other iem I own that has this same type of trait in the sound. The crazy thing is the CKR10 has dual oversized drivers in push pull mode with a much larger housing to pull it off. The Rain2 looks humbly average almost boring in comparison. How many cheapo made in China woodies look just like these is my point. Very deceptive in how one would think these would sound. But as you all know it is all about the tuning.

The wood gives a very natural tonality to the overall sound that just works with dynamic drivers. It went from too warm on open listen to a much more even balanced and naturally smooth sound. Guys that are snapping up on this deal are getting one heck of a deal for these. Much like how the FX850 is about enjoying your tunes so are these Rain2s. These are not the end all for definition or timbre or stage, balance or depth. But they do solidly in all these aspects and when put together in one cohesive sound. One of the biggest surprises for me this year.

Edited by Dsnuts - 12/14/14 at 2:00am

I'm glad you liking them. I didn't get any sibilance when using them, though. What killed it for me is the bass.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #18 of 29
Uhm considering I'm a Bass Head (there I've said it) I find the bass quite fun actually just as long as its no more boosted in the EQ than it already is. My EQ is always flat now and the bass boost is just coming from the CCBH. I think its more of a sub bass boost anyway so the mids arent affected so much but yeah the P-B output of the CC BH makes it a much more enjoyable listen than when I first heard it.

May 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 29
May 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #23 of 29
Rite-o =) time for a second set of negative impressions of the day

As much as I am a fan of Thinksound on1 (eqed on1 can have fantastic bass and you can remove the noticable 7-8k sibilance, leaving only the annoying lightly padded headband to make them short of great)
I didn't really like Rain 2...No...wait. I really didn't like Rain2. At all.

Positives wise - I like the plug, they're kinda pretty and thinksound are pro sustainability.

The main issues I had - out of the box: like DJScope said - they're about as far from High definition as we can get.

- slightly honky mids (there is a bit of an odd quality to them and no prizes for clarity there either)
- somewhat bloated bass / muddy bass. (it's not A200 or H300)
- maybe a bit much bass/mid-bass in general . No outstanding speed either. I do hear a bit of distortion as well.
- by far not high fidelity in treble amount or extension sense (pretty sure there's also a bit of sibilance at 7k)
- these are the kinds of earphones when you can eq down 7/9k and eq up the rest of treble and even mids and they'll sound better and you'll look amused

I've recently had the distinct pleasure of buying 'disposable' earphones for tropical resort holidays (sand and all) , so I couldn't resist and bought 5x<50 ones.
Hence I have a drawer full of <$50 Phillips, Panasonic, JVC, TDK earbuds (think really budget in ear ones from TDK for example this or this ) or this, and
Rain 2 is about the same as those sound wise, eco branding aside.
Most of those sound 'bad with 1-2 major flaws that are relatively easy to EQ out' . Quite a few reminds me of Rain 2 which costs 3-5x of the aforementioned airport JVCTDKPANASONIC buds.

What annoys me about this is the unrestrained hyperbolic marketing on the box... I won't post a photo but yea... Far as I can tell, they quite easily share a $5 DD with any of the above.

ps why not save for a KC06 or Titan1 if you have a spare $100. or whatever the flavour of the value IEM is nowadays.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 29

Thinksound Rain2 IEM – macro review by Loquah

Posted onJune 6, 2015AuthorLachlan FennenLeave a comment

I love Thinksound products. The fact that they’re environmentally conscious, made of wood, and tuned by a true music lover all make for great products. I’ve wanted to try the Rain and now the Rain2 for some time and finally got the chance thanks to a friend on Head-Fi – thanks Mark!

Overview

The Rain2 replace the original Rain and are designed to be smooth and enjoyable sounding earphone. At a price of around $160 AUD it is not an expensive earphone in the scheme of things, but sounds great and is easily a competitor for higher priced offerings from other brands.

The specs are pretty lean from the Rain2 (not a criticism) and realistically the only things to know about them is that they cover a frequency range from 18 – 20,000Hz, use a dynamic driver and are really small, just like the other Thinksound IEMs.

Looks

The Rain2 are made from real wood (I’m not sure which one) and they look great. The gunmetal coloured nozzle assembly adds a nice accent to the rich, cherry coloured wood and is mirrored by a gunmetal coloured Y-split on the cable. There’s nothing flashy about the looks of the Rain2 – they just look high quality and stylish.

Feel

Just as they look great, the Rain2 feel great as well. The plug is sturdy and solid, but compact enough to fit phone cases and the like. The cable is a quality rubber affair with good length strain reliefs at the earpieces, and the timber housings with metal nozzles all scream of quality. Even the mesh over the nozzle looks high quality and luxurious. Thinksound could probably charge more for these based purely on how they look, but I’m glad they are pricing them fairly so that lots of people can potentially buy them.

Sound

So, the bit that always matters most… the Rain2 don’t disappoint here either. They sound smooth and lush, just as they’re intended to. They have a beautiful mid-range glow about them, but don’t get stuck sounding thick or slow. Sure, they’re not the last word in speed, but they also don’t feel like the musicians are standing in mud either. The bass is punchy and tight and the treble is smooth and extended, but nothing ever jumps out to take over and that’s what makes the Rain2 so easy to enjoy.

The soundstage is clearly defined, but not huge – a normal effect of smooth, vocal-oriented tuning. It’s a really nice, enveloping presentation that will never get harsh, but will also never get boring. Indeed, these are an earphone you could stick in your ear at any time to listen to anything and you’d be happy.

Those who know the Thinksound On1 headphone (that I love!) can use the On1s as a reference to understand the Rain2 sound. Imagine the dynamic and punchy sound of the On1s with the upper mids pulled back just a bit. The result is a little less dynamic, a bit warmer, but completely enjoyable.

Summary

I wish I had more time to dedicate to reviewing the Rain2, but I hope this will serve as sufficient motivation for anyone on the fence to buy a pair (or at least audition a pair). If you’re looking for a really nice, clean but warm sounding earphone and you’ve got around $150-160 to spend you should definitely look at the Rain2. They sound great from any device and will never fail to be enjoyable.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 29
Very generous review there by Loquah.

I can relate to his review quite a bit.
I find the Rain 2 to sound ok for certain genres/tracks.
Ballads and 90's RnB for example... the bass decay actually fits the slowness of the tempo.
But for other genres, it's not ideal for my preference.

I also use the T-PEOS foam tips, they pair quite well in my experience.

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 29
I can relate to his review quite a bit.
I find the Rain 2 to sound ok for certain genres/tracks.
Ballads and 90's RnB for example... the bass decay actually fits the slowness of the tempo.
But for other genres, it's not ideal for my preference.

I also use the T-PEOS foam tips, they pair quite well in my experience.

I'll give it another try, it was just too dark and going against everything my preferences is.

But, I'll try again.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #29 of 29
  Received!

Thanks mate!

Awesome! experiment with tips and you might just find the right pair to make it work. Have fun mate... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back