Thinksound ov21! A Full-Size Listening Experience of the Acclaimed Wood Earphones With Amazing Timbre!
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 65
Ok so here it is. This one is a longer un. Lovely cans. I think for early adaptors you guys have something special to look forward to. The longer I used these things the better they sound. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thinksound-ov21.25497/
DSC09135.JPG

As a bonus I put a comparison to the old ON2 on the bottom. Happy reading. Have to return the OV21.

Great writeup! They sound like my kinda cans! :)

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #32 of 65
So I have been listening to these on and off today. The SQ of these things are much like thinksound earphones but on a grander scale. It is in deed thinksound house sound. Supremely punchy bass. Nothing like a closed can to give you the goods when it comes to bass and the OV21 delivers. I am surprised just how much bass emphasis these have and it still has great balancing of the sound. Its a mild v shaped signature from what I am hearing but if your gonna make a woody closed can it better have some bass.

I had to throw on my custom made thick pure silver cable a friend made for me a long time ago these are the cables I was using on the ON2 actually. I had to use an adaptor as the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the ov21 was bit too recessed for the cable to fit natively. Not a big deal but was worth it. The OV21 has very good resolving capabilities and my cable here helps to tighten the sound even more so.

The sound has a density I appreciate about thinksound tunings. Have yet to hear a thinksound made phone with a thin sound. It becomes supremely musical due to that thicker note weight. Tonality is rich and has that woody timbre and natural warmth that again is a hallmark of thinksound. The only nit pick I have about the sound is that its has a closed can stage, otherwise it has all the hallmarks of what you want in a closed can. Great imaging, excellent full bodied sound signature`. It has some great passive isolation by the way. Plushy pads seal off external sound extremely well. These come with a micd cord and so could be used on the go. So far so good I am gonna use them on a variety of my sources and will report in between doing my earphone reviews. DSC08990.JPG
I was thinking about getting K371 but after seeing this I think I'll wait. Great write-up!

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #33 of 65
It saddens me to part ways with them. Lol. I have to send this particular unit back to Thinksound as it was a preproduction model. I do believe this is the final tuning and build on them. These are supremely musical and with a bass I havent heard in a while for headphones. These are easily up there with Fostex cans for bass performance and at a fragment of the cost of them too. I think for folks that want a superior closed can these are a must own.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 65
Finally! The production version is rolling out! Yes!:):beerchug:

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 65
And they have arrived!!!

!!
ov21-1.jpg
ov21-3.jpg

ov21-2.jpg
ov21-4.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 65
Can't wait to hear more about these. I'm a sucker for wood headphones

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #39 of 65
What a tease! Tell us what we all want to know please. I need to justify opening my wallet. Thanks, and happy listening!
MisterMudd, please see the very first post (and Dsnuts' posts after mine). I go into extensive detail regarding the creation and sound of these beauties. Now, I had the pre-retail sample to review, but Aaron (the creator of the headphones) told me there wasn't any real tinkering with the sound as I heard it in the sample. Of course, this retail version is on burn-in at the moment, but it's the same glorious sound sig I heard back in August. More thoughts to come after burn-in.

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #40 of 65
Nice...If you have also tube amps, I am curious also to how this sounds on tubes.
:)
I haven't hooked them up to my old tube amp yet. I'll let you know after I get a chance.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #41 of 65
MisterMudd, please see the very first post (and Dsnuts' posts after mine). I go into extensive detail regarding the creation and sound of these beauties. Now, I had the pre-retail sample to review, but Aaron (the creator of the headphones) told me there wasn't any real tinkering with the sound as I heard it in the sample. Of course, this retail version is on burn-in at the moment, but it's the same glorious sound sig I heard back in August. More thoughts to come after burn-in.
Thank you sir. I am remiss from my old age memory, and I indeed read the thread and your posts at the beginning. I have so much going on right now building a spec house that I have been known to ask the same question that someone answered the day before.Lol. The house is in addition to some appraisal work, buying gifts for the holidays, and plenty of “Honey-Do’s” around my own house. Looking forward to plenty of reviews from other people as well as additional information from you. Thanks again.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #42 of 65
Ok so here it is. This one is a longer un. Lovely cans. I think for early adaptors you guys have something special to look forward to. The longer I used these things the better they sound. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thinksound-ov21.25497/
DSC09135.JPG

As a bonus I put a comparison to the old ON2 on the bottom. Happy reading. Have to return the OV21.
Excellent write up. I'd like to snag a pair. My only concern is that these may sound too similar to the Meze 99 Classics, which I will forever own. Any thoughts on that?

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 65
Ok so a bit of an update on the OV21. RP will be $320. https://thinksound.com/products/ov21 Looks like first batch of them will be available this month for purchase.

Ok so a bit of an update on the OV21. RP will be $320. https://thinksound.com/products/ov21 Looks like first batch of them will be available this month for purchase.
Looks like the asking price is 400 bucks. I think that's a little steep myself. Especially considering that they can't be ran balanced. I'll hold off until the price comes down.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #45 of 65
Mine arrived today. Will publish a review of these next month.
IMG_20211224_145450.jpg
Congratulations adriansticoid. I'm looking forward to your impressions. I'll be adding some new impressions soon, but I can state now that these headphones love a good burn-in. Mids and bass are wonderful and there is a nice soundstage with good instrument separation for a closed-back headphone. More to come. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back