Thinksound ov21! A Full-Size Listening Experience of the Acclaimed Wood Earphones With Amazing Timbre!
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 65
DSC08968.JPG

As a huge fan of the ON2s I couldn't ask for a better sounding full sized can from Aaron and the crew at thinksound. These things are talking to me right now. First time I have thrown them on my head this morning. What a way to start my Saturday morning with a cuppa coffee.

I do believe these will be making some waves on the scene cus you can't keep a great sounding headphone down. Will have more to say once I put them through their paces. Folks that are looking into a set. You have something new to look forward to. These sound superb. No other way to put it.
Don't keep us waiting too long 😁

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 65
So I have been listening to these on and off today. The SQ of these things are much like thinksound earphones but on a grander scale. It is in deed thinksound house sound. Supremely punchy bass. Nothing like a closed can to give you the goods when it comes to bass and the OV21 delivers. I am surprised just how much bass emphasis these have and it still has great balancing of the sound. Its a mild v shaped signature from what I am hearing but if your gonna make a woody closed can it better have some bass.

I had to throw on my custom made thick pure silver cable a friend made for me a long time ago these are the cables I was using on the ON2 actually. I had to use an adaptor as the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the ov21 was bit too recessed for the cable to fit natively. Not a big deal but was worth it. The OV21 has very good resolving capabilities and my cable here helps to tighten the sound even more so.

The sound has a density I appreciate about thinksound tunings. Have yet to hear a thinksound made phone with a thin sound. It becomes supremely musical due to that thicker note weight. Tonality is rich and has that woody timbre and natural warmth that again is a hallmark of thinksound. The only nit pick I have about the sound is that its has a closed can stage, otherwise it has all the hallmarks of what you want in a closed can. Great imaging, excellent full bodied sound signature`. It has some great passive isolation by the way. Plushy pads seal off external sound extremely well. These come with a micd cord and so could be used on the go. So far so good I am gonna use them on a variety of my sources and will report in between doing my earphone reviews. DSC08990.JPG

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 65
So I have been listening to these on and off today. The SQ of these things are much like thinksound earphones but on a grander scale. It is in deed thinksound house sound. Supremely punchy bass. Nothing like a closed can to give you the goods when it comes to bass and the OV21 delivers. I am surprised just how much bass emphasis these have and it still has great balancing of the sound. Its a mild v shaped signature from what I am hearing but if your gonna make a woody closed can it better have some bass.

I had to throw on my custom made thick pure silver cable a friend made for me a long time ago these are the cables I was using on the ON2 actually. I had to use an adaptor as the 3.5mm jack on the left side of the ov21 was bit too recessed for the cable to fit natively. Not a big deal but was worth it. The OV21 has very good resolving capabilities and my cable here helps to tighten the sound even more so.

The sound has a density I appreciate about thinksound tunings. Have yet to hear a thinksound made phone with a thin sound. It becomes supremely musical due to that thicker note weight. Tonality is rich and has that woody timbre and natural warmth that again is a hallmark of thinksound. The only nit pick I have about the sound is that its has a closed can stage, otherwise it has all the hallmarks of what you want in a closed can. Great imaging, excellent full bodied sound signature`. It has some great passive isolation by the way. Plushy pads seal off external sound extremely well. These come with a micd cord and so could be used on the go. So far so good I am gonna use them on a variety of my sources and will report in between doing my earphone reviews. DSC08990.JPG
Nice. So some weight and warmth in the lower mids. How are the upper mids presented? Would you say these have a similar tuning to the ON2?

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 65
More dynamic sounding. Bigger grander sounding with beefier bass. Tonality is similar but the sound is weightier. ON2 might have a bit better balancing due to having lesser bass emphasis otherwise, especially for folks that loved them the natural timbre with that full range sound of the ON2. Will love these things. It is what a full sized ON2 could sound like. Upper mids have good presence, again it has balance to the tuning even though it has a beefy low end. Tracks with little to no bass. You can't even tell these have a full bass end. But if they do your gonna get a healthy deep reaching low end rumble of a much larger dynamic driver.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 65

The sound has a density I appreciate about thinksound tunings. Have yet to hear a thinksound made phone with a thin sound. It becomes supremely musical due to that thicker note weight. Tonality is rich and has that woody timbre and natural warmth that again is a hallmark of thinksound. The only nit pick I have about the sound is that its has a closed can stage, otherwise it has all the hallmarks of what you want in a closed can. Great imaging, excellent full bodied sound signature`. It has some great passive isolation by the way. Plushy pads seal off external sound extremely well. These come with a micd cord and so could be used on the go. So far so good I am gonna use them on a variety of my sources and will report in between doing my earphone reviews.
I'm curious, how is the OV21 or ONs compares to the HD6xx?
A worthy VFM upgrade ?

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 65
I'm curious, how is the OV21 or ONs compares to the HD6xx?
A worthy VFM upgrade ?
So, I can speak on the comparison of the ov21 vs. the HD6XX a little bit. It's almost an apples and oranges comparison. The Thinksound headphone is closed-back, and the Sennheiser is open-back. With the closed-back phone, you are going to get a wider soundstage most of the time, but the sound is a bit thinner than it is with the ov21. Both have wonderful mids, but I prefer the weight and clarity in the ov21 more (although the HD6XX is one of my favorite headphones). The bass can dig deeper when needed in the ov21, but the Sennheiser may have a little more extended highs. The mids are different in both, yet, I would call them magical in both with lots of details. Both cans give you great mids! So, different flavors but you can't go wrong with either one.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #22 of 65
So, I can speak on the comparison of the ov21 vs. the HD6XX a little bit. It's almost an apples and oranges comparison. The Thinksound headphone is closed-back, and the Sennheiser is open-back. With the closed-back phone, you are going to get a wider soundstage most of the time, but the sound is a bit thinner than it is with the ov21. Both have wonderful mids, but I prefer the weight and clarity in the ov21 more (although the HD6XX is one of my favorite headphones). The bass can dig deeper when needed in the ov21, but the Sennheiser may have a little more extended highs. The mids are different in both, yet, I would call them magical in both with lots of details. Both cans give you great mids! So, different flavors but you can't go wrong with either one.
Appreciate this kind of comparison, but how is the detail level comparatively? Seperation, imaging?

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 65
Me want. No thanks to you punks lol!

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 65
To add to my previous post, nice to see you @ericp10 and @Dsnuts! The ov21's seem like very nice headphones, and as I mentioned, I now want them.

I'll be interested in seeing a comparison to the 1More H1707's (which I really like) if such a comparison ever materializes!

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #25 of 65
To add to my previous post, nice to see you @ericp10 and @Dsnuts! The ov21's seem like very nice headphones, and as I mentioned, I now want them.

I'll be interested in seeing a comparison to the 1More H1707's (which I really like) if such a comparison ever materializes!

Hey waynes world, buddy! Glad you are doing well! Remember, when in double - or if you spent too much money - always blame Dsnuts!! :beyersmile: I have never heard the H1707, but looks interesting. Tell us more about its sound when you have time! Happy listening!

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 65
Got one more IEM I have to write about. But the OV21 is next. Will get into them much more very soon. I am a one phone type of guy. Cant be listening to too many at once.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #28 of 65
Ok so I am half way done with my write up about the OV21. I can tell you guys the bass end of the OV21 is simply SUPERB!. At first when I heard the OV21 I had to adjust to headphone bass again as I have been reviewing IEMs this entire year and I almost forgot the level of bass that comes through for a larger 45mm dynamic driver.

The tonal character of the OV21 is so very good and then it has this amazing detailed bass presentation unlike any Thinksound phone I have heard before these. Sound is tight, rich, detailed and that tonal character comes through all done with one of the best bass presentations for headphones making the OV21 supremely musical. I do believe Aaron and the crew at Thinksound will have a big hit on their hands.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 65
Ok so here it is. This one is a longer un. Lovely cans. I think for early adaptors you guys have something special to look forward to. The longer I used these things the better they sound. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/thinksound-ov21.25497/
DSC09135.JPG

As a bonus I put a comparison to the old ON2 on the bottom. Happy reading. Have to return the OV21.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back